Dapol OO 14XX and 517 Class 0-4-2Ts

papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Premium

Wow Dapol certainly seem to be the GWRs friend ! Great announcement . Looks like a great specification and a decent price for what you get b. Although primarily a Scottish modeller I am tempted as I have a good few GWR models now . Makes sense with their auto coach too .

I really hope they are rewarded for introducing these and that no one reintroduces the DJ version .

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Advertised as 1401 BR black with GWR on the tanks.

I did spot that, and with Dapol’s usual removeable smokebox doors it will be a quick job to backdate….

My DJM has one final chance to start working. Maybe trying another brand of decoder may save it…. Else it’s on eBay and a Dapol will come this way

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Apropos the 517, I note Churchward buffers - I trust these will be easily removable! Shame Armstrong buffers aren't part of the tooling suite, then we could have one in Wolverhampton livery...

...which would be an instant order from me. TBH, if the factory could deal with the livery, I'd be up for having a crack at the buffers. First ever 4mm RTR Wolverhampton-fit loco?

As it is, a red-framed 517 might well be on the cards...I'll just need to design and build a new layout for it. Oh well :)

PS. 

saddle-tank-no-517-by-armstrongs-0-4-2.j

Jus' sayin', @coeurdelyon *innocent whistling*

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Welchester said:

'Lined chocolate' seems a brave choice.

After the positive reception of Kernow's Steam Railmotor in the Lined Chocolate livery, it's good to see Dapol tap into the more obscure GWR liveries :)

Just one for me it seems and that's GWR 1159 :)

Edited by Garethp8873
Kerno
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Wow Dapol certainly seem to be the GWRs friend ! Great announcement . Looks like a great specification and a decent price for what you get b. Although primarily a Scottish modeller I am tempted as I have a good few GWR models now . Makes sense with their auto coach too .

I really hope they are rewarded for introducing these and that no one reintroduces the DJ version .

Pigs will fly on your final sentence. And yet…….on these particular little piggies I’ve had no problem whatsoever,despite their weird mechanism.But Dapol are good with small locos….witness the LSWR B4 which is a little gem,so I’ll buy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Please, Please Dapol get it right.

No half jobs that need a second batch to bring the best out of them.

I'm in if they are done well, like the Mainline & City stock.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

It needs some work to bring it up to scratch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Dapol on these clearly popular announcements!

The 14xx was listed for the first time in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022  (the last poll to run before we run again near Christmas this year).

It was in The Top 50, being the most-wanted GWR loco. The class came in at overall position 6th.

The 517 has been steadily climbing the echelons. It came into High Polling - at the lower end - in 2016 and remained there in 2018. (We didn't run in 2017.)

The class climbed higher in 2019 and was just four votes short of The Top 50 in 2022.

We wish Dapol every success with the projects.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased to hear this announcement, although I think my wallet has gone and hidden somewhere

As I model 1895 Cambrian, I really have no need of one, except. well, they were only up the branch from my station.  Red frames seems great, but wrong buffers and wrong livery, and wrong tanks?  Still cannot have everything.  (Any applied Armstrong livery, as far as I can make out will be wrong, as I am not sure there is agreement on exactly what it was.)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Please, Please Dapol get it right.

No half jobs that need a second batch to bring the best out of them.

I'm in if they are done well, like the Mainline & City stock.

I'm hoping that they paint the black parts BLACK, not grey like the second batch of Moguls. 😞

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Fair Rosamund? Woodstock? I thought that was "Three days of music, peace and love"!

Pretty locos, whatever, both classes. 

Oldddudders,

I think that you may have the wrong Woodstock, the music, peace and love, with maybe some flowers in the hair was the wrong side of the pond.

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

By the way, the CAD renders of these locos are really good! Some of the best I've ever seen.

Interesting from a luddite's PoV - what makes them so?

2 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

...the more obscure GWR liveries :)

YMMV!

What I forgot to say in my previous post is how great a move I think this is my Dapol - bravo! May they sell like delicious warm sweet comestibles :)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

but will they get the shade of green right - that on the 48xx/14xx looks weird already

I think it's quite difficult to get colours looking right in CAD renders, so I think we should take them as "indicative" at the moment and wait to see the first samples.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, 88D said:

Full cab 517 could be on my Christmas list. Hope it’s going to be easy-ish to convert to EM.

Conversion potential to wider gauges could be an important factor – unless High Level do a replacement chassis kit!