Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are preserved railways so unpopular as layout subjects

Yep, take yer pick, either a pemanent 'gala weekend', six or eight locos,and station platforms packed with figures - or - normal running weekend, platforms about quarter full of figures, and the same 2 locos pottering backwards, and forwards all the time!!

A Gala weekend would be more interesting to operate. Also more fun scenically, especially with the siting of figures on every suface imaginable. Some Gala's I've been to cheerily allow the public to wander amongst the parked locomotives (Barrow Hill for example)

Also more fun scenically, especially with the siting of figures on every suface imaginable.
Not forgetting the Lemon with the camera in some stupidly dangerous location... :nono:

Yep, take yer pick, either a pemanent 'gala weekend', six or eight locos,and station platforms packed with figures

Sounds like most of the 009 layouts you see at exhibitions.

Speaking of 009, I do remember seeing a very good exhibition layout about 15 years ago (it was in the RM at the same time) based on Dduallt of the Festiniog railway, complete with spiral and lots of accurate modern Festiniog rolling stock.

I'd say that the biggest challenge facing anyone accurately modelling a real preserved railway is that a lot of the stock you need will not be available as RTR (or even kits). It's probably a good choice of subject for somebody who likes scratchbuilding small Industrial locomotives.

The layout Ive done has its own timetable, and yes the same engines return on the working they set out on. So both engines and stock are matched. I guess the problem is that every show ends up being a gala weekend as there are more engines to run, and things to shunt. Equally so, from the network end there is a railtour each day and a test train! So its fairly accurate, but then you need to find a balance between prototypical operation and enough movement to entertain the crowds.

I would take it as a rediculous point to suggest this was only the case with preserved railways. Engines dont come onto depot and off every 2 mins if your modelling a TMD, nor does a wagon works repair a wagon in 10 mins for the engine to shunt to another train, same with loadings at a goods shed etc.

With regards to stock it depends what your running. A main preserved British Railways standard guage preserved line has a lot of stock. Modelling the North East as I do, very little in the way of Eastern region engines exist. Black 5s have become adopted north east engines when you think of NYMR and preservation - its merely the next chaper in their development. So too engines from other regions and although I prefer others even some Southern engines have migrated north. I have preserved examples of A1, A4, Black 5, Ivatt 2, Ivatt 4, and BR standards on my North East line because they are available and much like the real counterpart, little North Eastern is. Despite this, some licence creeps in, so Ive my own A1 (60164) and A2 (60540), with J39s also having been built again nearby....

my Dad and I built a layout in the loft that had a main line terminus with a platform from a preserved line, or that was the idea.

i played with HSTs in and out of the mainline and the steam tank engines etc ran up and down the branch

a good way to keep us both interested and use all our locos.

that layout has now been changed and Dad runs what ever he wants on it now as i've got all the "modern" BR blue stuff

you would have seen it if digital cameras were around when it was running, the cost of processing the few pictures i took of it was way to much for a kid on limited funds that were better spent on other things

i would like to see some of these other layouts though

Edited by ess1uk

• 5 months later...

sorry for quoting the whole post G-BOAF. Can we see your layout, it sounds really interesting! I think the preserved setting offers a really interesting subject when it's as well thought out as this.

Maws (and others), stumbled across this post via google while looking for something else!

Since this thread is resurrected, I'll take the opportunity to post some pics. Not taken as yet, and the layout needs a bit of work to get it back to photographable standard. Just to clarify my 'vision, was based on the dream layout I one day intend to build. At present I have a glorified 'trainset' which spends most of its life up against a disused door, and track still unbalasted, I'm rather ashamed of it!. HOWEVER there are come 'preservation cameos' on there, and the rolling stock is, even if I say so myself(!) 'promising' in places. Aside from the aforementioned specially painted rolling stock, we've got an ex-intercity RU®, completely stripped of u/f equipment, sitting on 'scrap' B1 bogies, and refitted internally as a full-width kitchen (complete with 'stainless steel work tops), and a buffet counter, and mounted on an isolated length of track behind a platform.

Oh and my lack of Maunsells mentioned in previous post was recently addressed through a 'high windows' BCK split from the Imperial Airways set!

Bits of my layout/projects captured in various blog entries

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/411-g-boafs-blog/

(I note my WCRC Maroon Pullman link no longer works, and I can’t find the original photos, so will get some more pics for here).

Give me a week or so to pull things together, probably in another blog post.

• RMweb Gold

Your kitchen car on its own track reminds me of the real life situation at the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's base in Whitehead in Northern Ireland where amidst all the Irish stock, there is an ex British Rail Mk 3 sleeping car No 10651 restored externally and used as a dormitory for volunteer workers. Its particuarly popular among those who have to be on the site at unmentionalbe hours to raise steam prior to railtours.

Once again to agree with Mike on this.

Back on topic though, I have read with real interest about preserved railway layouts and look forward to seeing one. However, I have been on the exhibition circuit for over thirty years and have yet to see one at a show.

Has anyone posted any pics on the forum of one?

Jack

Mine is preserved railway layout and yes I have posted pics Churnett Valley railway :-)

• Like 1

Hi All,

Having just had an enjoyable read through this reincarnated thread for the first time, I have my own take on this. What I do is model a preserved fleet as it would have been during a specific time period. The plan is to model all of the GWS' collection at Didcot at the time of the GWR / BR (WR) cross over between 1948 and about 1955. This will enable me to model what I am familiar with and can see first hand as well as put it into a fictional yet historic layout context. Is this making the best of both worlds? I hope so...

All the best,

Castle

And just down the road I'm modelling the Cholsey & Wallingford stock (including locos that have been "hired in" over the years)!

The layout in my father's loft also features a fictional preserved branch, though still plenty of work needed to get the correct atmosphere (most of our efforts of late have been under the boards), though it does include a working Wickham trolley.

Hi,

Why not run two time periods on the same layout?

I'm planning part of the Consett line in ~1960 with 9Fs and local NCB traffic.

Flash forward to 1980 and it's dual-headed 37s and the same NCB 0-6-0s plus grey/blue MkIIs calling at a rebuilt timber platform at (an off-scene) Beamish for the museum instead of 21tonners... which may yet run as a 'photo-op' special charter.

Until someone invents OO-sized autonomous robots and sits back, it's all fair game.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi All

And just down the road I'm modelling the Cholsey & Wallingford stock (including locos that have been "hired in" over the years)!

... it does include a working Wickham trolley.

RJS1977: My collection will include a working trolley too (or at least it will when if finish the darn thing!). Mine is an NBrass body with a heavily modified Bachmann Gandy Dancer chassis. How did you do yours? I didn't think for a moment that I would be the only one using this type of approach! Our crossover machines are 1466 and 231 then... Is yours set in the preservation or historic era?

Steve: My reason for picking the crossover era is that I can almost model two periods in one. The extremes being blue Kings alongside GWR liveried freight locos... Nice!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Castle

My Wickham trolley is a card model (with removable roof for access to the mechanism), also on a Bachmann chassis - and I don't think I was the first either! At the time I built it I wasn't involved with the CWR so now I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to repaint it yellow (as per "Willy Skunk") or build another!

My model CWR fleet is mostly locos that have been on the line in the time I've been involved; namely the four resident diesels (Lion, Unicorn, George Mason and Carpenter - though Unicorn is a Kitmaster dummy!), generic 45XX (before my time, but I had it already), 14XX and auto coach (ditto), "Cumbria" (94XX) - awaiting lining (ugh!), Ivor (under construction), 56XX pannier (currently a GWR-liveried one from my main layout though should really be BR green), plus the three Mk1s, Siphon, salt van, toad, Fruit D, tank wagon (all in somewhat better condition than their prototypes, largely because several of them also see service on my 1930s GWR layout). Plus the vintage JCB used for heavy work!

In fact, the collection was started somewhat accidentally due to a miscommunication with the CWR shop manager over the 2011 Kenavon show! The result was that I had only a few weeks to put together a CWR display stand for the show, and the number of CWR-related models I owned, plus the opportunity to pick up two 08s and two Mk1s relatively cheaply during the same period made the course of action somewhat obvious!

• Like 1

As Promised, my contribution to the continued debate in the form of a blog post with pictures.

Most of the pictures taken in a bit of a rush, during Half Time of the Euro Finals!

Enjoy. Comments (aside from - why don't you ballast your track, finish laying grass etc etc) welcome!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/411/entry-9804-modeling-a-preserved-railway-just-igore-the-railway-bit/

As Promised, my contribution to the continued debate in the form of a blog post with pictures.

Most of the pictures taken in a bit of a rush, during Half Time of the Euro Finals!

Enjoy. Comments (aside from - why don't you ballast your track, finish laying grass etc etc) welcome!

http://www.rmweb.co....he-railway-bit/

Like it.That's a preserved railway

• 1 month later...

I'm building a exhibition layout called Hooton. Its a preserved railway not far from Birkenhead. Fictional of course but it will feature all the typical heritage scenes. I'm building it at the Wakefield Railway Modelling Society. I'm a beginner but with the experience I will gain at Wakefield it will be exhibition standard. Preservation is all I have seen of steam, so to me there is nothing more interesting. I love shunting so it will be incorporated in the layout in the form of a photo charter, along with usual service trains. It will be very realistic and will most likely be finished by 2014, at the latest. Oliver

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Because most of the rolling stock never moves and is either decaying or preserved in As built condition.

Not forgetting that if the freight wagons do ever move it upsets someone as "it would never run like that". :)

Personaly I think preserved is the wrong word.

They are working railways and so why shouldn't they be modeled?

• Like 2

Love the comments from everyone!

I've just had a moment (or two...) on eBay and ended up with some North Eastern (i.e. Not even LNER) stock for my 1960's (historical) / 1980's (preserved) plan.

Seems like the Delorean made it to 88 MPH and had some locos in the boot!

As someone who is also planning a preserved railway, I have found this topic quite interesting.

One of the major things about modelling a preserved railway is how accurate do you go? I personally will be having 'realistic' preserved locos (e.g. 60019 Bittern in BR Green and 6233 Duchess of Sutherland in LMS Crimson lake) running alongside restored Battle of Britain #34073 249 Squadron, new build P2 #2007, a new A5 tank (#69843) and #5952 Cogan Hall....with GWR 8-wheel tender in tow (Edit: forgot to mention a fully streamlined #6229 Duchess of Hamilton :imsohappy: ).

In any case, I feel it's more 'It's my railway and I'll run what I want' rather than 'This loco should have X detail in Z livery and not Y detail otherwise it's incorrect'.

Edited by 69843

hope i'm not too late to the party on this - the way I see it, you are free to model whatever you want, your money, your trains, your time, your effort. But I think a lot of people see it as a bit of a cop-out to model 'preservation' as it's just an excuse to run whatever you want with whatever you want, on a 'preserved' line that isn't really preserved with stock and motive power that also wasn't preserved. Sure there are some exemptions, but on the whole this is how I perceive it. I think there's something more gratifying to the hobby when you can say that this would've happened, with this loco and this stock, but that's just my take on it. AND everyone is free to model what they want, and this is no comment on the quality or accuracy of the models.

Now time to go read the entire thread and (probably) realize my views have already been stated.

- Jack

Edited by Cypher VII

Love the comments from everyone!

I've just had a moment (or two...) on eBay and ended up with some North Eastern (i.e. Not even LNER) stock for my 1960's (historical) / 1980's (preserved) plan.

Seems like the Delorean made it to 88 MPH and had some locos in the boot!

Nice to hear someone else Modelling the north eastern! Hope manufacturers are taking note... but about that Delorean... it might have made it to 88 mph - but was it pushed!?