TVNAM 2011

Northpoint

Jordan, I know you were unsure about how high to position Schiller Point but it looks great to me in this pic (the bulk of O Scale really comes across in this view!) How high did you have it in the end? Did any viewers comment on the height?

I'm not sure of the exact height in the end; In that pic I (blue shirt, right) am standing on the floor, Jack Gilbert on my left was standing on the step-up I took. I needed the step-up myself to see over the backscene!! So the "Schiller Point" on the top of the fascia was just below 6ft I should think. That would make the track level at 4ft 4inch or so. I didn't get any complaints about the height, let's put it that way, even from those with children who had to lift them - although having been there/done that, I'd say at least it's easier to lift a child and stand straight yourself - nothing worse than having to lift "halfway" as you need to bend to get a good view as well...

As the board behind the hidden sidings is only 12" high, people were able to look over it (as they do!!) at the stock behind the scenes. At least one person said he'd come to the Show especially to see Schiller Point, as he's going into US O Scale and wanted to see it for real, and compare the quality of Atlas, Weaver etc.

The handlaid track got some good comments, too (so my thanks to Prof Klyzlr!). Glad that it 'passes muster' with our Stateside Brethren - the use of real masking tape to simulate ... real masking tape on 2203A was commented on at the Show, too!! :D

Further points:-

Dave_Long - I am taking no responsibility for your actions!!

DaveB - glad he let you have your layout back in the end!! He's still talking about it...

Allegheny - no bother at all - glad to say hello!

Andy298 - Wiley City is awesome!

Jez - thanks for the 'goodies'.... ;)

One effect of Schiller Point layout is I've found myself searching the web & ebay for 0 gauge CSX and NS locos. Bad idea that! :rolleyes:

Dave

Check out ebay.com item 150615240964 - a great looker with a cool pro paint job but the price tag to match.....

This one is a bit more reasonable 380334712176 !!

Check out ebay.com item 150615240964 - a great looker with a cool pro paint job but the price tag to match.....

This one is a bit more reasonable 380334712176 !!

Blimey, I spotted the top one yesterday and it was only at about £400 at the time, and its doubled! :blink:

I do apologise - I'm getting my Longers mixed up with my dave_long (NW22nd St) :blink: :rolleyes: :(

Now edited!!! :D

Lol I thought it was aimed at me before you edited. There's something about the sheer bulk of US 0 gauge that matches the prototype. Who knows it won't be this year but maybe in the future. A few Williams NS GP-38s for around the £100 mark though.

Regards

Dave

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

A question for those that have posted photos - can I use them (with the appropriate credit) on the website as I don't have any of my own?

You can use mine, although i'm not too happy with the colour balance and it's made worse through only having yellow and orange stock...! Must remember for next time that I was in direct sunlight, which confuses the colours and washes out the front of the layout, as well as making the operators hot...! :heat: It seems daft to complain when the natural light in there was superb, but now I've got a layout with a proper proscenium arch* am less reliant on ambient light.

You've reminded me that I forgot to take a photo of the display boards with Wiley City on. I do like that shot because of the number of model people in it.

*[tongue in cheek]In simple terms, it means putting a model in a box which heavily restricts viewing angles in order to camouflage poor modelling techniques.[/tongue in cheek]

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Haston reached the safety of Scotland at 11.35 pm on the 12th June 2011.......

Did have a minor scare on the way up the road from DEMU Showcase though!

Thanks to Chris for taking the time to come and find me at Showacase!

Hope the entertainment made it worth while!

Please be sure to let us know what you get up to with the Scottish stock you now have!

I said minor scare?

3rd lane M1 incident in the pouring rain under the watchful eye of The Angel of The North at just after 11pm on Sunday.

Unnamed 44 tonne wagon decided that the water on the middle lane was too much and without warning decided the outside lane was the place to be!

Not really!

That's the lane I'm in after indicating I was going to pass him.

Please note - I know he should not have been there but going by the amount of water on the middle lane - he didn't have an option.

Anyway...

Some flashing lights an blaring of horns followed by fist waving in the dark and the journey continued.

Yes - I've already had a play!

Set up and operating by 10 am this morning!

Thanks

3rd lane M1 incident in the pouring rain ... Unnamed 44 tonne wagon decided that ... the outside lane was the place to be!

Some flashing lights an blaring of horns followed by fist waving in the dark and the journey continued.

Oh great... :rolleyes: another Truck Driver does his best to 'enhance' our reputation... :angry:

Anyway, as well as commandeering DaveB's layout for much of the show, my lad also seemed to find time to take our camera round, too. We've not long had it so some of the settings were wrong,but he managed to capture some views not shown so far, so bear with us...

First I was very impressed by this custom-painted Ex-Milwaukee Bandit GP40 in HO ( although I think the custom bodyshell cost more than my O Scale model!! :blink: ;) )

IMG_0046.jpg

My lad's favourite; Hoxie Harbor

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Including the Crocodile...

IMG_0051.jpg

Four Corners Museum

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Sunningwell Command Control (the little rat is dropping me hints again!!)

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

The part of Schiller Point no-one else photographed... Nick's first impression of it was "It's very Black, isn't it?" :blink: Well on the one side I had put a load of pics, of the real Soo locos my models are based on, plus a bit of description about the Soo livery, and what "SOO" actually means... so it wasn't all black...

IMG_0063.jpg

Harrington (my lad likes the UP livery; okay I know this isn't actually a UP loco, but he's not so pedantic either...)

IMG_0064.jpg

Alpha Packaging (my lad likes his food, too...)

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Tweekson

IMG_0075.jpg

Scenery Demonstration (awesome stuff!!)

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Ta for those - for some reason I look really worried in one of them...:lol: He's got the Waynes World pacer in as well as the Subway, so nice job.

BTW the significance of the bandit is that it's #2010, and the module was my go at the 2010 challenge...so I had to ask Neil to bring it really...:laugh:

Ta for those - for some reason I look really worried in one of them...:lol:

With my lad and his mate stood in front of your layout, you were probably clinging on to your controller... :blink: :rolleyes: :D

He was very impressed that you stopped the Iowa Interstate loco specially for him, so he could take the picture. :)

Yes Jack - it probably is on for next year. Not sure of a date yet ... It will either be May early June...

Any thoughts will be welcomed.

BTW - didn't anybody manage to take any pics of North Plains?? :(

May or very early June gets my vote - later in the year starts to clash with School Hols and hence family hols, creating the potential to miss things like the RMweb Members Day :rolleyes: :angry: :cry: I can't miss TVNAM!! B)

Re North Plains, I must admit it looked a little 'strange' being sans backscene, especially after the excellent CM pictures... or was the backscene a culprit/victim in the Great Pallette Pre-Show Disaster..?!? :blink: :rolleyes: ;)

May or very early June gets my vote - later in the year starts to clash with School Hols and hence family hols, creating the potential to miss things like the RMweb Members Day :rolleyes: :angry: :cry: I can't miss TVNAM!! B)

Re North Plains, I must admit it looked a little 'strange' being sans backscene, especially after the excellent CM pictures... or was the backscene a culprit/victim in the Great Pallette Pre-Show Disaster..?!? :blink: :rolleyes: ;)

The backscene in the magazine photos is fixed to the garage wall! It was intentional to have it on show without a bckscene in order to convey an impression of open space.

So, no, it wasn't a victim of the great disaster of 2011.

The arm's gone a nice shade of purple and yellow..... pics anybody?? :D

John B and myself were discussing this whilst operating the layout. Both of us were of the opinion that a backscene isn't necessarily a pre-requisite. The eyes and the brain filter out what is not of importance. Neither of us found the absence of a backscene detracted in any way. In fact, from an operating point of view one could view the layout from both sides, thus giving an additional perspective. This is something I have thought about for quite some time, and I suspect, works in the same way as when viewing a painting. The effect is not destroyed because it is surrounded by lounge furniture or being in a gallery with other paintings etc. Again, what is not of import is filtered out.

Steve

It's something we've found with the modular stuff, when you're watching it your brain indeed does filter the other stuff out - the only downside is that camera's don't filter it out and neither does your brain in a still photo for some reason! ;)

It's something we've found with the modular stuff, when you're watching it your brain indeed does filter the other stuff out - the only downside is that camera's don't filter it out and neither does your brain in a still photo for some reason! ;)

Indeed. I suspect it's because you are already focusing on a relatively small area, namely, the page, and so take in everything within the page borders. That's when Photoshop comes into it's own. ;)

Steve

John B and myself were discussing this whilst operating the layout. Both of us were of the opinion that a backscene isn't necessarily a pre-requisite.

Agreed; in fact my British O Scale layout "Withyn Reach" doesn't have a backscene either, although it does have retaining walls along the rear, so it's still a "view one side only" layout, really.

I think it was just the fact of seeing it with backscenes in CM - lack of backscenes didn't stand out so much on Alpha Packaging, because I've not seen it with backscenes, which would only get in the way of the Modular concept anyway, I suppose.

For a magazine picture, I'd say a backscene (even if just 'sky') is required, for the reason GloriousNSE gives.

Agreed; in fact my British O Scale layout "Withyn Reach" doesn't have a backscene either, although it does have retaining walls along the rear, so it's still a "view one side only" layout, really.

I think it was just the fact of seeing it with backscenes in CM - lack of backscenes didn't stand out so much on Alpha Packaging, because I've not seen it with backscenes, which would only get in the way of the Modular concept anyway, I suppose.

For a magazine picture, I'd say a backscene (even if just 'sky') is required, for the reason GloriousNSE gives.

Yes, for a magazine photo there has to be something even if just plain pale blue. I think the lack of a backscene doesn't stand out on Alpha Packaging because there is quite a run of building at the rear. The same effect could no doubt be created with a run of trees. The other point is that at TVNAM Alpha Packaging was against a plain white wall which also disguised the fact that there was no formal backscene. For my photographs, where that was the case, I just used the clone tool to remove the shadow caused by each building block. Having said that, I have just noticed I missed one photo and haven't done that. :blink:

Steve

Well, looking at the photos, it looks as though Nick has really organised a good one, with excellent modelling -- showing the UK public that models of prototypes they may never have seen or heard of, can be just as entertaining as ones they are more used to seeing.. Such a shame that I am so far away - well done everyone who showed and supported the event

Well, looking at the photos, it looks as though Nick has really organised a good one, with excellent modelling -- showing the UK public that models of prototypes they may never have seen or heard of, can be just as entertaining as ones they are more used to seeing.. Such a shame that I am so far away - well done everyone who showed and supported the event

Thanks, Jack.

After much deliberation taking into account the messing about of bank holidays, wedding aniversaries, wives birthdays etc etc it's looking like Saturday 16th June, 2012. A request has been put to the Parish Council to see if the hall is available.

Watch this space.....

Archived