The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me that the Train Driver should be focused on the track and the signals. Yes he can open and close the doors but with packed trains I think someone should be keeping an eye on the passengers. It is not like a bus where the driver can see the whole quite easily. MAybe one of those two car units managed by a driver with a camera in the second car. However one of the things needed on the southern is to provide more capacity on the trains to maximise track utilisation. So multiple cars would be best. The double deckers sound good but the outage while they provide additional loading gauge by either dropping the track or raising all the bridges would cause major headaches. Whatever the answer is it is a lot more complex than the public are told.

A belated Happy Birthday to Andyram.

Just seen Jason Kenny and Laura Trot winning golds. There household with a tally of five golds would be beating many countries in the medals table. Two false starts in Jason's race were a bit farcical

Good Night 

Don

• Like 7

Morning all.

I've been a bit distracted the last few days, driving back from Normandy and then having Daisy for the day the day we got back and BT coming to install new Broadband and phones. I'm cream-crackered. I've also missed all news, so bear with me whilst I catch up!

BT looks good, faster and 'crisper' than Virgin, and a stronger signal. Also less cabling and general fuss, as the hub is now in the living room and generally out of the way,

Looking forward to catching up, doing a bit of modelling and slightly relaxing, It's been an intense time!

Have a good day, all, and best wishes.

• Like 3

Morning all. A grey start to the day but at least it's forecast to clear and be another hot one.

Several meetings this morning which shouldn't be too taxing and then home to write even more reports.

Dick - Good to see that your internet problems appear to be resolved

Have a good day everyone

• Like 13

Good morning one and all

I fell asleep last night waiting for the 10 pm news.  Thanks to false starts at the games and a foolish departure from the channel switch protocol that had worked so well thitherto, it began at 11.20.  Before that I sauntered out for a pint with the aim of checking out a place for the next area group meeting.  It looks good.

Tonight is Area Group, in Harpenden, involving another nail-biting episode of Chris versus M1.  Later in the week I ought to pack away the various bits of tent that sprawl across the back bedroom, which really must be dry by now.  On Friday I have an appointment with a car sales person at the dealership.  The outcome may well be a decision to replace the newly serviced and valeted Polo with a new one.  I do hope that they are still made with CD players as I depend heavily on the one in my present vehicle.  I hope also that the process of terminating the finance agreement early is not too expensive.

The next few days are due to be quiet.  Perhaps this will result in something useful getting done.  That makes two reasons to scan the blue horizon in search of a squadron of pigs.

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed.  A vacancy will exist later in the week for another category.

Chris

• Like 1

Well, it's sunny but cool here in Carshalton-sur-Mer. The pigeons are fighting in the trees and the daily battle of wits has started with the squirrels. The parrakeets are beginning their beautiful melodies as they contest the right to devastate the bird feeders with the magpies. Ah, bucolic nature in all its glory.

Asleep at nine, awake at five... 

Today's plan is to do nothing. The parcels I missed have been retimed for delivery at the weekend (see how idle I'm being) and I'm not in the mood for action today. I do wonder how I managed to be a parent and work at the same time...  There may be some modelling. I have a cheapo HO switcher to think about making into a loco for the AM&SPHR, and an idea that a six-wheeled carriage could be made by chopping a Triang clerestory onto a 6-wheel sausage van chassis. Might be fun. Also I've started the process of resin casting and need to finish the moulds. So maybe not so idle.

I've missed the past few weeks postings, so I hope that I'm not missing anything that's dreadful or wonderful, I'll get round to it all in time.

Off now to see if the whelkmen are going out today. I doubt it, to be honest. 

• Like 14

Morning all.

I know there are some ex-teachers on here and I wonder if you have received an e-mail claiming to be from Teachers' Pensions? I am suspicious and have not opened it and would appreciate some advice.

@ Chrisf.  My friends got a new Touran last month. The radio is a complicated thing but Chris was delighted to find that when she put a CD into the slot it played it straight away. We don't do blue tooth!

Best wishes

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I know there are some ex-teachers on here and I wonder if you have received an e-mail claiming to be from Teachers' Pensions? I am suspicious and have not opened it and would appreciate some advice.

@ Chrisf.  My friends got a new Touran last month. The radio is a complicated thing but Chris was delighted to find that when she put a CD into the slot it played it straight away. We don't do blue tooth!

Best wishes

Ed

Sherry has not received any such email. But AFAIK opening an email cannot harm you or your PC. Only clicking on a link within it might do that.

Morning all from the boring borough. Finished filling in on another project so the rest of the week is "training". Well remove the ing and replace it with an 's'. :sungum:

Seriously, just some subject matter reading and a short meeting later in the day. I've also been told to ignore any cockwombles from other projects unless they cough up a billing code.

Won a whopping £3.10 on the lotto. Will be calling my financial advisor later to look at blue chip investments.

The nice sh*tnozzles from Thames water have yet to return and fill in all the holes in the pavement. One of the plastic covers a few doors down was in the middle of the road last night. Just waiting for someone to fall into a hole. Can you say compensation? A nasty-gram and phone call to be added to my list for the day.

That's about it from here. The patio is calling for the next hour and a bit, so its time to recharge the coffee and toast a bagel. Laterzzzzz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from the boring borough. Finished filling in on another project so the rest of the week is "training". Well remove the ing and replace it with an 's'. :sungum:

Seriously, just some subject matter reading and a short meeting later in the day. I've also been told to ignore any cockwombles from other projects unless they cough up a billing code.

Won a whopping £3.10 on the lotto. Will be calling my financial advisor later to look at blue chip investments.

The nice sh*tnozzles from Thames water have yet to return and fill in all the holes in the pavement. One of the plastic covers a few doors down was in the middle of the road last night. Just waiting for someone to fall into a hole. Can you say compensation? A nasty-gram and phone call to be added to my list for the day.

That's about it from here. The patio is calling for the next hour and a bit, so its time to recharge the coffee and toast a bagel. Laterzzzzz

You could buy quite a few RBS shares with that considering they are almost worthless at the moment.

Morning all from a Sunny Surrey. A few cancelled trains this morning due to staff shortages. Ours running albeit late.

Fitted ditchlights to another N scale Amtrak loco. These Athearn bulbs quite a bit brighter so this looks the way to go with these locos. A little bit of tinkering with some HO stock whilst watching Rochelle webcam closed out last night quite nicely.

Orbit Brewery tap take over at the Rake tonight subject no major problems with the trains home.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mid week already. How time flies when the Olympics are on.

A bit of fine tuning of the loco done yesterday then, apparently I am doing some gardening.. This is a disaster waiting to happen!

Enjoy your day wherever you are.

Baz

PS Donw the Docklands Light Railway has no driver's and manages to get passengers on and off trains safely, the Underground have single person operated trains as does the Newcastle metro.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a war but cloudy village.   Cats sleeping off their breakfast and the temporary house guest seems to be fitting in quite well.  The boss left early for Leeds so I've got various domestic tasks to complete and some paperwork to do.  Then it will be off to the clubroom to spend most of the day working on the layout.  Tonight I'm off to give a talk about the Lancaster Electrics for a local railway circle.

Dick, glad that you got back safely and hope that you get the rest you need.  

To all others I hope your day goes well.

Jamie

• Like 17

You could buy quite a few RBS shares with that considering they are almost worthless at the moment.

Morning all from a Sunny Surrey. A few cancelled trains this morning due to staff shortages. Ours running albeit late.

Fitted ditchlights to another N scale Amtrak loco. These Athearn bulbs quite a bit brighter so this looks the way to go with these locos. A little bit of tinkering with some HO stock whilst watching Rochelle webcam closed out last night quite nicely.

Orbit Brewery tap take over at the Rake tonight subject no major problems with the trains home.

RBS shares. No thank's I find that Aldi brand arse-wipe is softer and more absorbent.

No beer for me this week. Trying to behave and cut back. In reality, I'm saving myself for Borefts in 5 weeks.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

More sunshine and blue sky today, long may it last.

Window cleaners are here - there's a team of 4 of them and they're really nice blokes but they are very noisy. All of them appear to have phone attachments in their ears and are on them incessantly or if not talking shouting to each other. I'm probably noticing it more because I've been caffeine free for about 40 hours. It doesn't yet seem to have done anything about reducing the palpitations. Perhaps I expect too much too soon, or perhaps the medics have got it wrong. Also will have to wait for a couple more days for blood test results to see if anything else is subsiding, breaking down or falling off.

Three model railway related purchases have been dispatched and are now "somewhere in England". I hope they start arriving soon.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Bob,
Sister drac told me to cut out caffeine. My body went into denial and i felt awful then I saw her and she said she said reduce not remove ..doh!!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

RBS shares. No thank's I find that Aldi brand arse-wipe is softer and more absorbent.

No beer for me this week. Trying to behave and cut back. In reality, I'm saving myself for Borefts in 5 weeks.

I have cut back

Not had any beer for three days...........

• Like 10

greeting salutations commiserations and expressions of good will 

rather busy four days with photoshoots job interviews and missing pets means not been here to join in the ruminations 

all kicked off with a suprise job interview on saturday only to be tols sorry your over qualified ? wtf it was delivering prescriptions for a pharmacy !

sunday was all fun and games with a great bunch of models and the lads from Heywood tanks getting lots of pics and learning how to jump start an APC 

monday jobsearch and photoshoot with new model that lead into Tuesday with my original models canceling theyre  ballet on the cliff edge shoot due to injury so mondays model volunteered for a waterfall shoot  with the hot weather only for the poor girl to vanish rapidly down the 60% slope at the foot of the waterfall into the boiling waters of the river Tame proper trooper dryed herself off and then carried on like nowt had happend  tough these northern girls 

today over 600 shots to go through for editing and forwarding wish me luck 

here the lovely Lexifox being let loose with a thirtycal 

DSC_9202-2.jpg

• Like 10

Morning all from a sunny Scottish HQ. Not a cloud in the sky at the moment. Planned an early night last night, then watched the Keirin. And then watched the Keirin. And eventually watched the Keirin... Then couldn't get to sleep. So much for the early night. Pub quiz tonight, after my week off last week.

The big yellow New Measurement Train was in Waverley yesterday lunchtime, didn't pop down for a closer look though as I was on an errand.

Afternoon all. Thanks again for the birthday wishes as I reached 41 yesterday. Firstly I would like to send good wishes to Mick and say I am pleased to hear Karen is on the mend. My apologies for also being rather slow with the good wishes - much of what has happened has passed me by recently- I really need to be less slack with catching up on all the events on here.

Happy birthday!

Tony.S I have to admit that I winced when I read what Aditi had done. What a great little neighbour you have got. I am glad that things proved to be not as bad as they could have been.

Me too!

Mal - my thoughts to the teachers of Scotland who are contemplating the start of term tomorrow. I did not know the Scottish establishments started back so soon. Here in Derby we have another two and a half weeks, having just passed the half way mark. I have to admit that already my thoughts are turning towards the return to work (mainly hoping my six numbers come up before then!)

Glasgow went back on Monday. My daughter's starting back tomorrow as East Dunbartonshire goes back today, but they have an extra day off as they're moving into a new school building and the teachers need an extra day to organise the classrooms before the children arrive to disorganise them!

If you watch one of the minor tv channels in the morning you can sometimes get all 3 ads in one commercial break period.

I rated that "informative/useful" as it'll help me avoid said adverts...

Have a fun day all, thank crunchie it's Hump Day...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun is beginning to burn off the cloud and no sign of rain, even the forecast is now saying only the odd shower instead of the wall to wall rain that was predicted for the weekend only yesterday. Talking of train guards, I knew of someone who applied to be a guard on the Underground back in the 70's and he was turned down because he wore spectacles, but he was offered training as a driver instead. Have a good day all, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny again so maybe a bit more gardening clipping if it doesn't get to hot or hiding indoors in the shade if it does.

Going back to an earlier subject DonW might care to note that at present, except when ticket checks are taking place, no member of traincrew has the job of 'keeping an eye on passengers' - certainly not Guards most of whom in my experience seem to prefer their own company in the back cab, often in preference to doing ticket checks.  It's interesting to reflect briefly on why DOO(P) trains came about and apart from saving money the big reason was to try to improve reliability due to increasing difficulty in recruiting Guards and, very often, the fact that for most of the time they did nothing anyway; the sad fact is that in reality some of those in the grade did more than anyone else to bring about its downfall.

Ah well back to wending my way round RMweb and, hopefully seeing the latest updates in David Todd's highly impressive photo-reporting of the Dover seawall job.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 13