The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I find myself with a (very) small first world problem this afternoon. At worst this is an inconvenience but being minor, is taxing my decision making.

I have a company 'do' to attend this evening. My attendance is optional with no professional consequences of non-attendance. A colleague who works in my hall would like to go but would like to know someone he knows well will be there.

Due to changing circumstances, this might very well be one of the last of these events and while it's not a long way away, it is more or less downtown and I live in the suburbs. This afternoon is a rainy St. Patrick's day. Should I go, I shall have to (mostly) refrain from adult beverages to suitably navigate the flood of "once a year Guinness drinkers" on their way home.

Meanwhile my motor car is not starting reliably. Pretty much everything is operating nominally - except for the little safety interlock switch on the clutch pedal that needs to make contact for the ignition system to work. (I've had problems with it before. It was repaired once.) Running errands today it has worsened dramatically and is now taking four or five 'goes' before contact each time I start the car.  I had noticed some irregularity yesterday, but nothing I couldn't rule out as not pressing the pedal all the way in.

On my errands this afternoon, I did swing by the place where I normally have my car repaired shortly after 4:00pm. I was hoping that they closed at 5:00pm. No, they closed at 4:00pm.  I really don't fancy finding my car stranded downtown on a rainy evening and having to tow it, despite the fact that everything else on the vehicle is fully functional. I am reminded of the allegorical lost nail for a horseshoe.

In these interconnected days Uber would actually be a viable solution, but I don't have the app loaded (and don't really want to). Taxi cabs in the suburbs here take forever and are very expensive. Public transit is not really an option. I shall have to make my mind up soon. Blowing the whole thing off has a very big appeal right now.

A good Sunday to you all, particularly those fighting illness, caring for ill loved ones or grieving a loss.

In the spirit of the day, may I share a clean, non-racist, groan-worthy St Pat's Day "dad" joke?

What is green and sits in the garden?

Paddy O'Furniture. 

Suggest -

Sorry! My car is FUBARd.Canny make it.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Walked to and from pub last night in Nottingham. Cold and snow falling but roads all clear. Another day of playing trains then we pack the layout back in the van and head North.

Why do people who leave hotels between 5:30 and 6:30am make so much noise?

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Good morning Folks, from a decidedly wintery Newport.

Visibility is good, and the M4 seems pretty clear.

I don't think I'm going anywhere today, so I'll get back to making some 3-link couplings. Another cup of tea and some toast beckons.

Keep warm & safe, everybody.

Ian.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl inner temple here.

As usual 5 hours sleep in bed and about an hour and a half in bed.

What's green and is bowling down the snow covered fields..

Paddy O'Furniture propelled by mini beast from the east...

This is along with the snow, there is much less snow around than last night, most has been blown away. As long as it hasn't collected in too big a drifts, I should get to the last sailing event of the year at Snowflakes Sailing club.

Just along the coast, and almost visible from here, Hemsby in the national news again. The mini beast has continued the mega beasts work and washed away more sand dunes leaving chalets on the edge. At least that was last night, this morning the owners will be allowed back to see if they have a home.

Many bought these places when they were hundreds of yards inland, but dune destruction has increased recently. Many do not have insurance because the companies withdraw insurance for any reason they can. There is no compensation from anyone.

Luckily we have big concrete defences built after the 1953 floods, additionally, there are rock defences to protect the wall.

One thing, the reporter they sent has what is I believe a very uneducated Essex possibly north London accent, he also always speaks as though he has a blocked nose. He is new to the local BBC news, he may be a good reporter but comes across very poorly on TV...

Time too, make SWMBO'S cuppatea before I depart in a fully insulated manner to the Sailing Club.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Seems like there was only a slight further dusting of snow overnight but apparently more to come.

Glad to hear that Debs seems to be perking up a bit.

The rugby results went the way I thought they would although two were very close. Congratulations are due to Ireland for a very well deserved Grand Slam. They completely outclassed England who at times still seem hell bent on gifting the opposition stupid penalties. I suspect that Mr. Jones may well cull quite a few of the old guard now but he also needs to look at some of his coaching as they seem to be really lacking in fresh ideas on the pitch and the opposition have completely sussed them out in the last 3 matches. What do I know though? It's a very different game to the one I used to play.

Today, weather and her health permitting, we're taking Nicki out for lunch as she's fed up with being stuck indoors. A decision will be made later this morning.

Have a good one folks and keep yourselves warm,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No more snow falling from above this morning but the wind is blowing what has already fallen about a bit. One good thing about it there is only a little clinging on to the lee side of the car to be removed. Muggertee awaits so be back later.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all rom a snowy village. Not more than 2" in total. I will have to head out and clear a path to church in about an hour.

We had a good evening at out friends last night. Several bottles of vino were quality checked. Yes it was still drinkable all the way down the bottle. Beth and I then put our boot back on and walked back home.

As mentioned there are church duties this morning and then no doubt some more boxes will be filled this afternoon.

Glad to hear some more encouraging news about Debs.

Regards to all and stay safe out there. Mick (OZxp) I hope that you solved your conundrum.

Jamie

• Like 17

Morning all,

Rolled in around 23:30 last night after an evening of imbibing, pulled hither and thither by a 4MT and 33.

Apparently it must have snowed heavily since returning home as there's 3 or 4 inches of the stuff in the garden.

A long walk has been promised later this morning. 

A bacon sarnie would go a long way to making me fit for such endeavour. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning all.

Overnight snow seems to have blown away towards PhilJW's abode. It is very overcast though still.

While I was making tea the doorbell rang and Amazon delivered a book. It wasn't due until tomorrow!

I don't plan to go anywhere today. I will clear the Fiesta of yesterday's snow so Aditi can drive to the ballet in Westcliff this evening.

I am glad to read that Debs is making progress.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Welcome to SunSnowday.

Having been awoken by Nature at around 3am I looked outside to find everything covered in a blanket of white. Despite the air temperature hovering around the big fat zero the past week’s milder weather has warmed everything sufficiently that the snow is melting at a rate of knots and might not last the morning.

Otherwise not much to record. It is time to crack the cackleberries into the warm oil and to singe the sourdough.

• Like 15

Morning all,

Very glad and relieved to read Deb's message, let's keep our fingers crossed for more good news.

A reasonable dusting of snow hereabouts, opening the curtains revealed a large number of feline paw prints all over the garden so it looks like someone has had a good time of it! Our marathon DIY session continues although I've not done much myself this week due to the shift I'm on, so it'll be my turn to get stuck in later on today. With a post midnight finish all week I've found I can't just go straight to bed when I get home, watching a spot of TV is the best way to wind down before climbing the wooden stairs to Bedfordshire, so that's another five episodes of 'UFO' re-watched for the umpteenth time!

• Like 14

The rugby results went the way I thought they would although two were very close. Congratulations are due to Ireland for a very well deserved Grand Slam. They completely outclassed England who at times still seem hell bent on gifting the opposition stupid penalties. I suspect that Mr. Jones may well cull quite a few of the old guard now but he also needs to look at some of his coaching as they seem to be really lacking in fresh ideas on the pitch and the opposition have completely sussed them out in the last 3 matches. What do I know though? It's a very different game to the one I used to play.

Bob.

Three locks, a No8 and a blind side wing forward.  The old fashioned "steamroller the opposition off the park" routine.  Ireland, Scotland and Italy are playing with two open side wing forwards and are beating England to the breakdown.

Apropos Old Boys clubs.  Thirty years ago my club was putting out five teams, now down to a couple .  One issue is the need to provide substitutions, including a complete front row.  In my day we upgraded the largest back row to hooker and I moved across to loose head.  Still threw in to lineouts and (often) took the drop kicks.  Multitasking?

Bill

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Yep Bill, I've said for a long time that England need a more mobile back row and particularly a good open side. Young Tom Curry of Sale looks promising but he's been out injured for a while.

And, showing my age, when I was hooking the wingers used to throw the ball into the lineouts.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Not sure when the falling of white stuff ceased but it was definitely earlier than the forecast 08.00ish but we still acquired somewhere between 3 & 4 inches of the stuff where it is lying to its full depth.  Amazingly the stone slab path across the back lawn has remained almost completely clear and various other solid surfaces are clearing but the automobile fleet remains well covered although the snow is starting to come off the Good doctor's car - she walked to work as the roads were no doubt still well covered at 06.30.   The lad has headed down to the town for breakfast and has duly been tasked for some shopping, as he's having a day off railway engineering I think I'll get him on snow clearing later on (the Great Cockcrow is also under 3 inches of snow so the winter work programme has been suspended for the day).

Have a good day one and all

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

KCS..... SBT...... GSD.... GDB...... it's all very confusing.

Those that have an inkling of coding think they can message about unmentionables to get around my my security monitoring on behalf of Debs.

Unfortunately for them, I have friends at GCHQ.

• RMweb Gold

Mooring awl inner temple here.

As usual 5 hours sleep in bed and about an hour and a half in bed.

What's green and is bowling down the snow covered fields..

Paddy O'Furniture propelled by mini beast from the east...

This is along with the snow, there is much less snow around than last night, most has been blown away. As long as it hasn't collected in too big a drifts, I should get to the last sailing event of the year at Snowflakes Sailing club.

Just along the coast, and almost visible from here, Hemsby in the national news again. The mini beast has continued the mega beasts work and washed away more sand dunes leaving chalets on the edge. At least that was last night, this morning the owners will be allowed back to see if they have a home.

Many bought these places when they were hundreds of yards inland, but dune destruction has increased recently. Many do not have insurance because the companies withdraw insurance for any reason they can. There is no compensation from anyone.

Luckily we have big concrete defences built after the 1953 floods, additionally, there are rock defences to protect the wall.

One thing, the reporter they sent has what is I believe a very uneducated Essex possibly north London accent, he also always speaks as though he has a blocked nose. He is new to the local BBC news, he may be a good reporter but comes across very poorly on TV...

Time too, make SWMBO'S cuppatea before I depart in a fully insulated manner to the Sailing Club.

Not on the Arctic convoy today then?

• Like 2

Morning all from a chilly and snowbound Edinburgh suburb.

Great to hear from Debs and good that she's had some family visitors.

I watched two Rugby games, one irrelevant result and one good result, then as usual couldn't bear to watch Wales.  If I had, we would have lost. Second in the Six Nations isn't bad. 

Bill

Cripes, Bill, I wouldn't have called the England-Ireland result irrelevant! Surely you don't mean the Italy-Scotland match? Thought that we (Scotland) were lucky to win that - Italy played well. Meant that we finish 3rd in the table, our highest place for years.

As GDB says, Ireland deserved to win the Slam this year so well done. England have got some work to do, and Scotland has to build on this year by practice, practice and practice. Have enjoyed watching the matches this year.

Today is also a week away from mother's rearranged funeral... Why is there always one person / branch of family who simply cannot or will not share space with another at this sort of time?  It makes things harder than they already are.

Sorry to read about this, Rick. It is strange that this type of thing happens at funerals (and weddings, too, sometimes). Think the best course is to just get on with it and try to minimize any problems.

We had planned to go to the cinema this afternoon but think that's been cancelled until weather improves.

Stay warm

Mal

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Those that have an inkling of coding think they can message about unmentionables to get around my my security monitoring on behalf of Debs.

Unfortunately for them, I have friends at GCHQ.

You heard it here first and it's now official. GDB is an unmentionable!!    :scratchhead:  :yes:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You heard it here first and it's now official. GDB is an unmentionable!!    :scratchhead:  :yes:

I did wonder how you had been included in canine abbreviations!

When Robbie was about a year old we took him to a dog show in Brentwood. We were looking at some of the dogs when a woman exclaimed "oh look, a Munsterlander , I haven't seen one before". I replied "you still haven't, he is a working cocker." I never saw his breed abbreviated to WC though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's been awhile since we had a euphemism alert.......

Cheers,

Mick

I had to let Brian's comment about polishing knobs pass by.  Oh.

A big fat 0c on the rock this morning, -4c on the higher roads, two closed due to ice and snaa. No snaa down here, well it's snowing but not lying despite to cold.  The windchill is brutal.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

It is strange that this type of thing happens at funerals (and weddings, too, sometimes). Think the best course is to just get on with it and try to minimize any problems...

Stay warm

Mal

For our wedding there was no unpleasantness, Aditi's family did all that before the event and didn't attend anyway.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning form a snowy Surrey.

Our flight landed early into Gatwick. A bit of skidding after landing and even one of the crew in a jump seat near us said that. We must have been one of the first planes in as no queue whatsoever at border control.

Flight was fine again apart from two teenage American girls who wouldnt stop talking loudly and giggling throughout the whole overnight trip and knew better than the crew by not putting their bags under the seat before landing and getting up whilst we were still approaching the gate. They wanted to be first off so had their backpacks on and bashing us and others whilst we waited for the skybridge to be put in place. I think that they managed to eat all the snacks available on the plane too.

It was good to see that once on the platform at the station, confusion reigned. Our train home should be a Southern one to Victoria. However a Thameslink unit was sitting there with the doors released andthe departure board stating it was the Victoria train. I asked the platform staff (who had been chatting with someone in the rear cab of this unit) if this really was the Southern service and they said it was. So on we get but then there is an announcement form the driver that it is out of service and we need to get off immediately. Our train came into the adjacent platform with no announcements although the departure board did change. How do tourists manage if we struggle.

Been out cleared both cars of snow, drove down to ticket office to renew our season tickets (ticket office wasnt open when we got off the train)

The wind has now strengthened. Glad to be home and now trying to stay awake till this evening.

Edited by roundhouse