RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

fellows of The Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS), then their correct rank is Mister.

When did this cease to be the Royal College of Barber Surgeons? No-one calls their barber “Doctor”. The history of those permitted to use a blade on the skin of another is closely linked. The red and white barber’s pole dates from the time when signs were arguably more important than words and refere to blood over skin and (arguably) the promise and trust of those suitably trained to do no harm. Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Remaining in education, one might achieve the rank of Professor; this title is lost when leaving the profession, as, indeed, is any military or medical rank. However, the academic titles remain.

Caution: don't even get me started on the misuse of the term Engineer!

It used to be common that military officers having left the military used the appellation A.N.Other ( rank )RTD. Some very very senior officers are permitted to still fly their flags of rank when retired.

As for engineer don't I know it.

Me, A degree, plus 3 1/2 more years of electronics training, and I still am having to do more training with 5 years left to retirement, classed as a technician.

Many "Engineers", a couple of weeks training and thrust on the public as an engineer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Aditi never uses "Dr" on our travels in case someone expects her to give medical assistance! Actually she hardly uses her doctor title now she has retired.

Aditi's GP brother was on a flight from New Zealand when the call went out "Will a doctor please make themselves known to cabin crew. " Raj indicated, as did another doctor. The poorly passenger's condition didn't require a diversion fortunately.

• Like 16

It used to be common that military officers having left the military used the appellation A.N.Other ( rank )RTD. Some very very senior officers are permitted to still fly their flags of rank when retired.

As for engineer don't I know it.

Me, A degree, plus 3 1/2 more years of electronics training, and I still am having to do more training with 5 years left to retirement, classed as a technician.

Many "Engineers", a couple of weeks training and thrust on the public as an engineer.

I said not to get me started on the term Engineer. The European classification of Dipl Ing or UK's CEng attempt to distinguish the plumbing, gas, refrigeration, telecoms etc. technician and locomotive driver from the Engineer.

A professor who retires from their chair is normally accorded the title Professor Emeritus for the rest of their days.

But that generally applies to when they're still loosely involved with the education process on a 'visiting' basis, IIRC.

• Like 2

Aditi never uses "Dr" on our travels in case someone expects her to give medical assistance! Actually she hardly uses her doctor title now she has retired.

Aditi's GP brother was on a flight from New Zealand when the call went out "Will a doctor please make themselves known to cabin crew. " Raj indicated, as did another doctor. The poorly passenger's condition didn't require a diversion fortunately.

My late father (PhD) never listed himself as Dr in the 'phone book for the same reason. Me, I'm ex-directory!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The ranking and qualifications of medical doctors are only too well embedded in my memory, John.  I was, for my sins, at one time a medical staffing officer in the NHS.  This was not a pleasant period of my life!  Recruiting Consultants was possibly the most difficult 'arranging' task I have ever attempted. I succeeded but it nearly killed me.  Herding cats has nothing on arranging the statutory panel you need to interview them.

I'm a real Engineer though - but a bit rusty now.  Board of Trade certified.....as well as academically. Maybe 'was' an Engineer would be more accurate nowadays.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Golf was played (well, I walked around a field getting wet).

One of the biggest gripes in golf is slow play and the group in front were masters of it. It didn't help that it rained most of the way.

There were some really bad shots and there were a few that weren't bad shots.

The one good thing today is at least it looks like the sciatica is retreating with the exercise (fingers crossed).

I don't normally watch much golf on TV - mostly because its pay-per-view, but I'm looking forward to catching up with The Masters as it starts to appear on the Beeb

Mrs NB is away for a few days next week, so the kitchen may become a workshop containing large flat-ish bits of wood with various bits of metal and plastic glued to them. There is a gathering of like minded enthusiasts and slightly interested people to attend in a few weeks.

Mrs NB has also found out that she's been accepted on a Guide Leaders trip to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in about 12 months time. I will be planning to use that time on another project involving large flat-ish bits of wood with various bits of metal and plastic glued to them.

Sunday may involve me staying acquainted with a pillow and duvet for longer than normal. More messing with wood/plastic/metal and if the weather is reasonable, there may be some pedalling, interspersed around the F1 and the golf.

Have a good day before Monday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning, mes citoyens. I think I may call it a day shortly after a day out in the garden, which in addition to a less than optimal night‘s sleep left me a bit ropey. Certainly is nice to see spring having finally sprung, though!

Glad to hear your trip home went well, Tony. May I just reiterate that if there’s anything any of us can help you with or advise on, do let us know.

Andy(ram), what else could I say, other than that I understand you all too well. Remembering your recurring reports of what at best have been bleddy nuisances and at worst stuff which I am sure could drive some to running amok, I’m tempted to say that there can surely be few choices worse than continuing at your current post. But, of course, there certainly can be, and I am sure you have devoted much thought to the choices you outlined.

Only you can make any decision where to proceed to in the end, but, again, do let us know if we could support or advise you in any way.

Sending supportive thoughts to Debs, Simon and everyone else in need.

And with that, good night, all... :bye:

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I have an O Level in Engineering Workshop Theory and Practice.

Congratulations on your O level - I had to rate your post as 'Funny' as it made me laugh out loud - thanks for posting that, especially after all you have both been through over the last few days . . . . . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Australia, which enjoys influence in about equal measure from the UK and US, refers to those in charge at the sharp end of trains as drivers. Unless you are employed by one of the long-haul or rural concerns taking freight across the continent in which case you are often a train drover. But never an engineer.

Mick - my recollection of golf from caddying is that a following group being delayed may play through a slow group ahead if not waved on or invited to play through at the next tee. I experienced both sides of this. Sunday morning four-balls were eternally slow (and hence frowned upon at other times) and we were played through more than once by foursomes or pairs. Not without some aired grievances about “ungolf-like conduct” by both groups. And once we dared to play through during no less than the annual pro-am tournament when it appeared we were being delayed by a player relieving himself at length. One visiting professional seeking a lost ball in long grass around a tree was very unimpressed indeed.

It’s time to hit the hay. Finally feeling much improved too. Night all.

• Like 14

Under qualifications I still put: Racket Scientist - No one has disagreed with it...

I came across a (fairly recent) video by Graham Bonnet, now if you’ve heard of him - well done, you know what a great singer he is. One of the great unknowns of British music.  Still belting them out at 70 years old.

A lot of people assume it was Ronnie Dio who sang the original (with Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow) - it was Graham.

I first came across him going out as “Marbles”  with this single written by the Gibb Bros:

He still sings this now too (though sometimes with a bit more difficulty nowadays)

Best, Pete.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mick - my recollection of golf from caddying is that a following group being delayed may play through a slow group ahead if not waved on or invited to play through at the next tee. I experienced both sides of this. Sunday morning four-balls were eternally slow (and hence frowned upon at other times) and we were played through more than once by foursomes or pairs. Not without some aired grievances about “ungolf-like conduct” by both groups. And once we dared to play through during no less than the annual pro-am tournament when it appeared we were being delayed by a player relieving himself at length. One visiting professional seeking a lost ball in long grass around a tree was very unimpressed indeed.

Some people consider "letting through" as an admittance of bad play............. especially in a competition.

One of the guys in front was a "full time" golfer with a part-time job. There are simply those who will not let through others - just because.....

Minor possible change of plans for Sunday. There may be a trip to Littleborough to see like-minded folk who also glue bits of plastic and metal to flat bits of wood and then show them off to the paying public. It all depends on my wake-up time and my CBA or not......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

AFAIK only Americans* refer to a person driving a train as 'engineer'

*this may or may not include Canadians, I think it does given the close ties between railroads either side of the border, but Canada has a considerable British (and some French) influence so it may vary due to regional differences. Simply said: I don't know for sure :P

I can assure you that in Dutch, Flemish and German no referral is made to 'engineer'. In Dutch, the position is named as "machinist" and said individual addressed with "Master" (yes, indeed as in master+apprentice), in Flemish (mind, this is NOT Dutch!) the person on the controls is a "bestuurder" (literal and correct translation: driver) whereas the Germans make a distinction between "Lokführer" and "Triebfahrzeugführer" for a loco-hauled train or an MU of any kind (be it electric or diesel) with "-führer" best translated as "person in charge". I dunno about French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese or Greek, never mind any more remote language from further afield :P

The adventures of Casey Jones broadcast in the UK in the sixties associated the term engineer as a locomotive driver; we seem unanimous in disregarding that. However, my main gripe is with the other technicians / mechanics to whom I also referred in my original post. BT, British Gas, etc. do employ Engineers but they don't send them round to your house to fix appliances, etc.!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 7

Evening all. Great to see and read some updates from Debs. My thoughts remain with her and I hope we hear news of further improvement soon. Once again I thank people for their kind comments and advice. Dom is correct - I have devoted a lot of time and thought to the future. In fact it resulted in just three hours sleep last night. This left me very bleary eyed this morning as I ventured out for the church's monthly men's breakfast. That was an enjoyable start to the day and good to catch up with a few people.

Later it was back to Pride Park for Derby's latest home game. A 3-0 win against a very poor Bolton side was at least a little more entertaining than the Good Friday debacle against Sunderland. The best part was the continued serving of Hobgoblin straight from the barrel on one of the bars. It would have been rude not to partake.

As for the future; the last option on my list did not come to fruition tonight - no lottery win! Surprise, surprise. No progress on anything else yet. I have the deputy application to complete before Friday - with the plan that I will work on it on Tuesday night whilst Sarah is out at the Forest game. I have not checked the job pages this weekend, but will start looking again next week. Easter is the time people start to hand in their notice for a summer departure so there should be plenty of roles starting to appear. That is, of course, if I decide to remain in primary education. I will continue to look out for Education Officer and Higher Education posts too.

As for the other option -  I have identified a possible business to for sale. The accounts were sent to me on Friday and have been forwarded to an accountant friend of the family. I have a free appointment with them after school on Monday evening. This will tell me if, based on the accounts, the business is a viable one (it appears it) and whether it is likely to deliver me a decent "wage" (the jury is out on that). After that, if it remains a possible option, I will arrange to meet the current owner.  Still lots to do and lots to find out.

Best Wishes

Andy

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well it’s rained for most of the day, so I decided to continue working on the radiator cover that I started on Thursday. Quite a bit of progress has been made as can be seen by the photo.

post-27337-0-57580500-1523141926_thumb.jpeg

So far the cost to make it has been less than £40.00, but to buy one ready made was in excess of £240.00!

Glad to see Deb’s is regaining her sense of humour.

Beast66606. Congratulations.

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well it’s rained for most of the day, so I decided to continue working on the radio over that I started on Thursday. Quite a bit of progress has been made as can be seen by the photo.

attachicon.gif3CC7B1AA-D90B-4C77-98EA-66F9556B90B5.jpeg

That's one large radio...

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to Dave and Jill - thought that cake picture on Farcebook meant something like that.

Local branch line in disarray due to broken train, laddo yet to appear presumably the rail replacement taxi is over subscribed,

Official translations for loco Driver courtesy the UIC Lexicon, Item 6774 -  France - mécanicien; Germany (abbreviated version) - lokführer; Italy -macchinista di locomotive; Spain - maquinista de locomotora; Netherlands - machinist (van een locomotief).  The SNCB term in Flemish, which I can't remember offhand is broadly similar to the gist of the others.

Use of military ranks - officers of a certain rank and above may, on retirement, continue to use their former rank on a courtesy basis - thus my pal uses his former rank of Major on his company letterhead and business cards. the RN equivalent is, I believe, Commander.

• Like 10

Use of military ranks - officers of a certain rank and above may, on retirement, continue to use their former rank on a courtesy basis - thus my pal uses his former rank of Major on his company letterhead and business cards. the RN equivalent is, I believe, Commander.

Not quite, Mike; the RN equivalent to Major is Lieutenant commander, a Commander being of equal rank to an Army Lieutenant colonel. 

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1