The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

But what could they do about the weather?

It's a balance between being fresh or being battle hardened, as I said elsewhere, the accumulation of fatigue could stack up against New Zealand next week, wheres England may be better physically, but is that enough to influence the result?

There's another question. Is it sensible to schedule a tournament during typhoon season?

Japan is a big country with plenty of stadiums. The France v England game could have been moved or played a day later.

"Is that enough to influence the result?". Very difficult to know without having all the data that the fitness coaches gather from the biometric gadgets. But my guess would be yes. Enough to turn what would be a loss into a win, possibly.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s Monday, so that means Sheila will be attending her Zumba class, she is currently in the kitchen getting her stuff ready, whilst I have decamped to the dining room out of the way. Once she’s set off, I’ll change the filter in the water jug and clean the washer and dishwasher filters, which should earn me a few brownie points. Once that lot have been done, I’ll head back down to the workshop and make a start on those shelves I sanded yesterday. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Today will mainly see some battles with officialdom and utility providers as direct debits are cancelled and refunds are sought. I note that our former District Council threatens one with court action if 21 days late in paying your Council Tax but then says it is so busy it won’t be able to deal with your refund for four to five weeks. As Baz would say “Pah”. Of course these are but minor irritations in this community where some must deal with the death of a loved one.

Goodayawl.

Sadly thats another battle for John, claiming his single person occupancy Council tax discount (25%). I don't think think the council will count Kerry as a second person..

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull and raining here and forecast to continue for a while but may brighten up later this afternoon.

Still tired even though I had a bit of a lie-in this morning and didn't do anything energetic yesterday. Wasps v Irish watched and quite a good game it was too.

A trip to Sainsbury's has been scheduled (there's unusual :no:)  and after that I may (or may not) do some track laying.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

Morning, we have what promises to be a nice day, but will it last? The forecast is not great, but then they predicted rain all day on Saturday and we never saw a drop, money for old rope is a thought that springs to mind. I am going to the Aberdeen MRC show on Saturday, so spent most of yesterday compiling a list for the spending of tokens, I might just continue with that quest today too, kind thoughts to all those in pain.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, we have what promises to be a nice day, but will it last? The forecast is not great, but then they predicted rain all day on Saturday and we never saw a drop, money for old rope is a thought that springs to mind. I am going to the Aberdeen MRC show on Saturday, so spent most of yesterday compiling a list for the spending of tokens, I might just continue with that quest today too, kind thoughts to all those in pain.

Time for an Aberdeen Buttery / Rowie

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

As GDB said

Off to walk the hound this morning then back later to feed him it's a sheltered walk through Hawley lake but the dog will pull me back home if the rain is too heavy he hates it.

Epidural tomorrow I can't wait to get it done there is a searing pain in the back and nothing pill wise will shift it.

Better get on enjoy your day :superman: L.U. M'Baygo :biggrin_mini2:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dull and rainy. No idea if it is cold outside, I haven’t  been outside yet. 
Aditi won’t set off for home until her sister is back from Madeira so she is tracking flights. Aditi told me not to worry about tidying up, she will just be pleased to be home. Not falling for that again. 
Tony

• Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Today will mainly see some battles with officialdom and utility providers as direct debits are cancelled and refunds are sought. I note that our former District Council threatens one with court action if 21 days late in paying your Council Tax but then says it is so busy it won’t be able to deal with your refund for four to five weeks.

This seems to be par the course for most councils/housing associations these days. They automatically apply for court action if you miss a payment for 21-28 days and if you miss a months rent and become in arrears. It saves them time in things like evictions and recovery as the court papers are already processed and waiting to be enacted as needed. Of course if they enact them, you end up paying those costs too.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. And a somewhat damp one as well but Arthur Itis was giving plenty of warnings last night until Para Cetamoll told him to keep quiet. I will be taking my spare computer in to be upgraded and a new battery fitted. The problems  are caused by it having sat idle for 18 months, the battery died like Monty Python's parrot it is deceased and it sulks when trying to absorb W10 updates.  Its only a small cheap laptop but it came in handy when my main computer needed fixing. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Kelly said:

This seems to be par the course for most councils/housing associations these days. They automatically apply for court action if you miss a payment for 21-28 days and if you miss a months rent and become in arrears. It saves them time in things like evictions and recovery as the court papers are already processed and waiting to be enacted as needed. Of course if they enact them, you end up paying those costs too.

Kelly, we moved out of our previous residence in good faith on the day before the "new buyers" were supposed to exchange and complete. That was almost 21 months ago and throughout the intervening period no one lived in the house, no bin collections were made, no children required schooling, no people required local medical care or elderly care and I even continued to mow the grass at the front of the property which lies between my property and the road. Despite all that, the local council insisted that I paid the full amount of Council Tax for the property yet single occupancy or a resident with a disability still gets a 25% discount. Meanwhile, said council that will disappear under a government re-organisation is desperate to ensure that it has spent ALL its reserves prior to its dissolution on the most feckless of schemes. Consequential to that, all residents will have to pay proportionally more council tax to create a reserve for the new Unitary Authority. Is it any wonder I am not alone in despising the leaders and senior officials in the public sector who ensure they are never accountable and place no value on money or assets that they have never had to work for?

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

The weather is currently dull but dry, we had some sunshine earlier on, but that now seems to have gone. All the tasks in the kitchen have now been completed, so a few brownie points have been earned there I (hope) think! I’ve also picked the last of the apples from the tree and the fruit bowl is now quite full! Considering it is still nothing more than a big twig, we’ve had quite a good crop this year, a lot more than we anticipated, as the blossom arrived early and then we had a sharp cold spell shortly after that. 

The shelves that I sanded yesterday were all stored in the workshop overnight, so they have all been wiped off and brought back to the cellar and now await a coat or two of varnish. That will commence once I’ve finished muggertea No2. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Surely council tax is not payable on an empty property after it has been empty  for a certain period*? *Six months IIRC.

Sadly, it is a case of being up to the individual authority I was told. This particular one is like most others and seeks to squeeze your gonads until you scream. If the property is empty due to death of the all residents, then there is a period - usually 6 months - in which the estate does not pay any council tax although, in the present climate, completing a sale within six months is almost impossible. Given the time taken to obtain a grant of administration (probate), find a buyer, the buyer's solicitor to complete all necessary searches and the seller to have available all consents and certificates, six months is certainly not long! 

• Friendly/supportive 16

Morning all.

Back at work after a few days off for my birthday.

Unfortunately I left the change order to the person who covers me - they ordered about 3 times as much as they should have, which means complications putting money in floats and the safe.  One mistake I won't be making again.

Feel quite modely though.

Went to a local show at the weekend for about 30/40 mins (I don't hang around and it was small).

Had a couple of wagons from my wife as a birthday gift and have ran out of other things to do about the house.

Go me!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Talking about hypodermic needles I have no problems getting the things stuck in me as long as I don't see the needle going in when being used on me. Have no problems seeing needles being stuck in others.

All goes back to the 1980s when I had a liver biopsy and saw this great big needle coming out and  went into shock. Got rolled over and jabbed in the backside to calm me down.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

14 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Talking about hypodermic needles I have no problems getting the things stuck in me as long as I don't see the needle going in when being used on me. Have no problems seeing needles being stuck in others.

All goes back to the 1980s when I had a liver biopsy and saw this great big needle coming out and  went into shock. Got rolled over and jabbed in the backside to calm me down.

Keith

Needles do me in totally. Not the needle itself,  or the blood, or the procedure. It is the feeling of the damn thing wriggling under the skin that gets me. A  cannula or needle for blood work just gives me the heebies as does anything on the inside of my elbow. I get all my poking and prodding done to the back of my hand. Far easier for them to find a vein as well. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kelly said:

I wonder what would happen if you told them you'd apply for court action if your refund didn't appear within 21 days, and then send them the bill for commencing such action when they do eventually pay up...

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Having given blood since I was 18, I'm used to needles being pushed in, but I don't tend to watch. Some go in with hardly a wince , others can be a big more forceful and bruising. It also depends on how the tube is then taped to the arm, this can pull on the needle.

The worst part was being given the bag of blood to hold after my first donation - very weird holding a warm gooey bag of 'me'.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Keith

I absolutely hate having needles stuck into me. I put it down to when I was at school and there was mass innoculations. This was before the days of disposable syringes, they had about 3 interchangable needles to use on a class of 40 kids. They used the (alphabetical) class register and went down it doing each child in turn. My surname begins with a W and I was about two from the bottom of the register. This meant by the time my turn came round the needles were blunt.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14