The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Happy Birthday Andrew.

Walk walked but only half an hour. The good thing is that The Hip is nowhere near as painful today. 

Now going for a walk to The Shed but can't do a lot until a small parcel arrives. Fingers crossed it'll be today but if not then I'll just have to be patient.

Ah you sure you used the right word there Bob?:rolleyes:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I tried smoking a pipe.  I found that I usually didn't have all the paraphernalia with me.

All that I needed was the pipe, some tobacco, and matches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

But watching my father handling all those whilst driving was an 'interesting ' experience to say the least.

Jamie

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

stay safe (among numerous idiots who appear to be keen to 'get back to stupidity work' in their hordes around London)

As with the past week today has seen a very slight increase in numbers travelling through the House of Fun.  There are still a very few airline passengers both inbound and outbound.  If looks and language are anything to go by then around 60% of the total are in the construction industry and many of those are of Eastern European nationalities possibly stuck here for the duration and making the best they can of it.  

Of the rest many wear NHS or other clearly identifiable lanyards and I have no qualms about them making what are surely essential journeys.  Some are shop staff - we see the same faces at the same times daily and often exchange greetings so we know where some of them are working.

There are lesser-known but specified valid reasons for travelling which include attending court or complying with any legal requirement or instruction such as attendance or reporting.   Anyone may travel to and from work if they cannot work from home and if their workplace has not been directed to remain closed.  A very small, but increasing, number are doing just that and perhaps working to save their businesses from permanent shut-down and redundancy.  

A very few - perhaps 5 across the day's work - are truly questionable.  We are not permitted to ask; only on-duty police officers may do that.  They are out there and they roam the network randomly.  They will stop and ask you your business.  And they do have the power to send you home or - should you refuse to comply - to fine you.  

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,  

4 hours of Ivy clearance done,  completed.. 

Holes in roof patched,  completed. 

Unfortunately on removing the Ivy it was discovered the lean to bike shed is terminally sick, the Ivy and wood worm caused the damage. It's built on the side of the garage,  and partly depends on the garage rooves  18inch overhang. Unfortunately the Ivy broke off some of the overhang.. 

It's rusty corrugated iron and odd bits of timber, built by I expected the previously mentioned bodgit and run. 

So for the duration the bike will be moved to the gardening shed and squeezed in alongside the mower. 

Anyway a new tin shed has been ordered, it will arrive in about 10 days. 

After moving the motor scooter,  it's time to head for the MhRC. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Birthday greetings for Andy P

What he said! 

:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A parcel arrived this morning, nothing that can't be mentioned here on ER's, a new pair of slippers. I see that RMweb went down for a while this afternoon but not for long.

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome.
  • Like 15

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

But watching my father handling all those whilst driving was an 'interesting ' experience to say the least.

Jamie

My dad smoked a pipe (actually he had quite a collection of the nasty things). We went to Mallorca in the early sixties and stayed in a newly built hotel. It had plate glass doors.

Dad walked right into one with his pipe in his mouth. Fortunately the only thing that was injured was his pride.

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Wot? No pipe cleaners, one of those multi-tool gadgets for packing and unpacking the baccy, and a reamer for cleaning out the carbon buildup?

• Agree 8
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Congrats are also due it appears to Mr Roundhouse who has won 'something' in the virtual SWAGday raffle ................I recognised no other names on the list as being relevant to ERs.

I’d better keep quiet then.  :yahoo:

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening,  well we went for a walk this morning my first outing for about 15 days which was nice  and after a very nice lunch I went for a nap and the afternoon disappeared!

Hope it does not effect tonights sleep, given my lack of doing anything today nothing much to report however Happy birthday Andy P and congrats Mr Roundhouse!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1