Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Interesting comments about drinking cultures.

There’s definitely a (European) North-South divide in regards to drinking cultures. North of the Alps getting “rat-ars3d”, getting “hammered” is not an uncommon part of social behaviour, whilst the Nordic countries are world beaters in binge drinking.

South of the Alps/southern Europe, getting sh1t-faced is definitely frowned upon. Spain, Italy and Greece all have relatively low levels of alcohol abuse (https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcoholism-by-country), whereas the real p1ss artists are the Eastern Europeans, the South Koreans and the Americans (USA). The Brits don’t even make it into the top 15. Interestingly, in some of the countries with some serious levels of alcohol abuse (such as Switzerland coming in at number 15 [probably due to ETOH use in the German part]), there’s almost no abusive, disruptive and violent public drunkenness - quietly drinking yourself to death seems to be favoured (although “robust” police response to public drunkenness may also be a factor).

But in terms of social disruption caused by alcohol use and abuse, I wouldn’t be surprised to find the UK placing much, much higher. Interestingly enough, as I was wandering through the various statistics on alcoholism (I like to get my facts straight), I did find some data that indicated that British women overall were heavier drinkers, and were involved in more alcohol related “incidents” than men – which seems a bit surprising. But this may all be down to how the statistics are collected. As jjb1970 pointed out in his post, there seems to be quite a permissive attitude to drunkenness in the UK, So I wonder if, in the UK, drunken women are regarded slightly differently for the purposes of data collection than drunken men.

I think that one of the reasons for low levels of alcohol abuse in countries like Spain, Italy and Greece, is because alcohol is introduced to children at an early age in the form of very watered down wine at mealtimes, so children grow up regarding drinking alcohol as nothing special – just part of a decent meal. So there’s no impetus, as there seems to be in those countries where drinking alcohol is prohibited in the under 18s, to go out and get hammered once one turns 18.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

The Paw was actually "reasonable" last night and I managed to zed until 5am, at which point I gave up and tigger bounced crawled out of the Bearypit for yet another day of action and excitement.....

Today sees Bear attempting to do some H, S & L once more - though a strict policy of "slow n' easy" will be in place.  Today's fun includes sizing the walls in preparation for papering them.  Hopefully.

I see that our glorious (other words are available...) Gov. are to be testing a new Emergency Alert System in the coming weeks by sending an alert to all smart phones.  Which is great if you (a) have a smart phone, and (b) it's a 4g or 5g one cos' the system won't work on older phones.  There may well be a Rant there.....

Bear gone.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today but I did manage to put away last weeks washing, tomorrow there'll be another lot out to dry. .

image.png.540731f8211ba3cd87cea5df59ae5bf4.png

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Interesting comments about drinking cultures.

There’s definitely a (European) North-South divide in regards to drinking cultures. North of the Alps getting “rat-ars3d”, getting “hammered” is not an uncommon part of social behaviour, whilst the Nordic countries are world beaters in binge drinking.

As jjb1970 pointed out in his post, there seems to be quite a permissive attitude to drunkenness in the UK,

image.png.e58c882cdeae15c397bdf3fc9b123757.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

There are some rather heavy drinking cultures in Asia, Japan, the Republic of Korea and China for three, but the sort of behaviour which is just a part of night life in British cities is very rare. People in Asia generally have no issue with people getting drunk as long as they don't act like asses in public and bother others. I've walked around the nightlife areas of Seoul and various Japanese cities and never felt threatened or seen anything beyond a bit of exuberant behaviour.

In Singapore, it is very much like a microcosm of the society as a whole, drink and have a good time but do not step outside a line. In the nightlife areas like Clark Quay you see a bit of exuberance but it is high spirits, anything more or anything that could be seen as threatening by others is stamped on pretty fact. And if people go home on the bus or MRT then they sit (or stand quietly) and do not cause a problem. The Police are very visible and they don't mess about, in some ways it's like schools where teachers who made clear they wouldn't take any nonsense rarely had to raise their voice or get mad because the kids knew what was permitted, people know the Police will not take backchat or allow any obnoxiousness in public and behave themselves. Every now and then people overstep the line and find out that it's not idle threats that the place has a robust attitude to law and order. 

Funnily enough, and people might think I'm just being contrarian but I'm not, I find drinking culture much less problematic in the US than in Britain and other parts of Northern Europe. Yes, I know the US has problems of its own but in terms of drunken disorderly behaviour I have found it much less prevalent than in Britain and local Police tend to be pretty firm in stamping on it when it does arise.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

So there’s no impetus, as there seems to be in those countries where drinking alcohol is prohibited in the under 18s, to go out and get hammered once one turns 18.

Or younger if you or a friend could convince the local grocer/off-licence that you were eighteen.  Some didn’t take much convincing at all.

Forbidden fruit and all that.

I understand that things are much stricter these days with proof of age ID being commonly requested.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ah but we had travel bans on all incoming non-residents which were enacted in March 2020 and still in force when this took place, (which is why we were COVID free for most of 2020), so these were Brits who were already here and therefore werent jabbed.....

Hence my last sentence and as there already there you can get them to pay for it as well.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much trouble (again) from arthritis/sciatica. Just the odd twinge or sharp stab of pain that didn't last very long. Still got the stiffness of the joints though but a bit more exercise should help. Spring equinox today, that means the days will be longer than the nights.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day here in England’s northwest corner, the temperature is currently 10C and there doesn’t appear to be much wind, but the sky is grey and miserable. Not much planned for today other than the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and making stewed apples this afternoon, which will use up the last of the apples that are currently stored in the cellar. 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hence my last sentence and as there already there you can get them to pay for it as well.

They ain't got no time to have fun in jail. They are out here to work for us, whether it's  hard labour on a central west solar farm or slaving away in a Queensland tropical fruit mine.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

A dull morning here but the forecast rain hasn't turned up (yet).

Yesterday I woke nice and early, had the usual e mails and phone calls and then went to church.  There were daffodils for all the female members of the congregation as it was Mothers Day, but there were too many flowers so all the men and children also received a bunch.  It seemed a bit strange not buying Mum a card and chocolates any more.  Then I went to the beach and had a pleasant walk along the promenade, it was warm enough to sit on a bench again and watch the world go by.  There were more people than usual, a lot of families had been to the fish and chip restaurant to buy coffees to take out.  I went home for my coffee as it is only a couple of minutes drive away.

There was time for a salad lunch then I went to my monthly model railway group meeting at Longhirst in the village hall which was enjoyable, its only half an hours drive each way mainly along quiet roads.  What I think of as quiet probably means empty roads to many of you, a busy road to me would probably be thought of as quite quiet in many places - I think it is busy when there are more than two cars in front of me at a roundabout. 

I returned home in time for tea and to make another couple of phone calls and then setled down with a crossword and some TV until bedtime.

David

• Like 18

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

They ain't got no time to have fun in jail. They are out here to work for us, whether it's  hard labour on a central west solar farm or slaving away in a Queensland tropical fruit mine.

Better that then down the treacle mine or the Eccles cake plantation up on the moors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis and Si Attica have been quiet for most of today, only giving the odd tweak or two. Still having difficulty walking and going up and down srairs.

36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I hope that my back takes a lesson from GDB's as for the last week my sciatica has been playing merry hell and I'm more or less chairbound with hot water bottles and industrial quantities of codeine and paracetamol. The GP has referred me to an orthopaedic hospital but Lord alone knows when I'll get an appointment there. Maybe going private could be considered....

Dave       

Si Attica does like the cold.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does anyone (HiFi experts, maybe?) know of an inexpensive 5-pin DIN Plug switching unit by any chance?  What I need is some form of Y-splitter that's switchable between "Output A" or "Output B" - that way I don't need to keep unplugging one iron from the Solder Station and plugging the other in when I need to use a smaller bit.

Might be simpler to kludge one up for yourself. Sockets easily obtainable from the big ladies. Course you will have to do a bit of weilding if not welding.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

It seemed a bit strange not buying Mum a card and chocolates any more. 

I still feel an emptiness, and for Dad too on Father's Day, but I overcome it with something special for them. This year it was with a bunch of silk Daffs in memory of all four of our parents who have a birthday or anniversary this month. I find it helps and keeps them in mind. In my early years, Mum worked in a couple of nurseries, so there was never a shortage of flowers growing at home while she was there and Dad loved roses. One of the nurseries is on the east side of the former GWR branch line to Uxbridge Vine Street.

This recording about Lowe and Shawyers nurseries informs me why and when Mum had to change jobs!  

ttps://www.facebook.com/UxbridgeFM/videos/history-show-ken-pearce-the-lowe-and-shawyer-nursery/2812322589058528/

I had not realised how old the nurseries were. Ironically, Mum's last job was at Brunel University which sits on the sight of the nurseries. Photo of the nurseries, including the railway line, is at the bottom of the article on this page:
https://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/our-history/memorials/documents/pdf/greenhouses.pdf

Quite an informative afternoon, I must admit.

Today's toot on the flute surprised me. I managed to speed up my playing on my main song. Tomorrow, I shall get the beat box out again and find out if I can play along with it at a faster speed. This is the speed I am aiming for though it may be a while before I get that far.

The beat is for a 4 beat cycle of which I have to fit in 4 notes, one per beat; 8 notes, two per beat, 16 notes, 4 per beat; plus extra (twiddly) notes making up to 8 notes per beat. You are now  getting nearer to driving in formula 1 mode!

https://youtu.be/VC77YxQ3esw

Time to complete bin sorting... it is just starting to rain.

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Beth did actually have contact from all three kidscyestetday and a cardcis waiting for us in the UK. However the day is always a bit poignant forces as itis often near to 15th March which was the daye that both our mother's died.on.  Add in 9th March for my dad and 23rd Feb for Beth's it's  time of memories.  We usually have a good meal out and raise a glass to absent friends.  This year it was actually on the 15th and a glass of Montepulciano was raised.  

A good lunch was had.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I remember reading a book once where a group of people who had just about had enough of drunken yobs stopped at gunpoint a train of football hooligans who were busy wrecking it from within. They ordered the yobboes off the train into a field in the middle of nowhere then turned water hoses on them and sent the train on its way, leaving the soaking wet sh!theads to walk to wherever they wanted to go in a cold winter's night. I can't recall what the book was called but it struck me as a pretty good idea.

I remember reading that, in the '70s IIRC.  The 'group of people' were what we would today call 'extreme right wingers' trying to build a movement/private army to take over the state.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4