The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

As for salt, we don't use it in cooking,

I salt fresh tomatoes, boiled corn (though less so these days), pasta water, unmarinated steak before searing and beaten eggs for a scramble, but that's about it.

I rarely ever add it to cooked food but occasionally have added it to unseasoned potato salad made by others.

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The only time I put butter with bacon is with a full B.L.T.

I love butter on fresh bread or a roll. I never ever put it on the inside of a sandwich. I do use it (on the outside) for a grilled cheese sandwich.

I don't use salted butter.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

According to the BBC Website: Not Available In Your Area

Presumably on the grounds of good taste or public decency….

Same here, but being @polybear it would definitely  have been this story. Probably. 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/cooking-and-eating-tarantula-spiders-cambodia/index.html

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Oh you mean Jumping Jack Flash!  Ours doesnt deserve such a friendly moniker as he doesnt behave with the dignity one would expect from a quality product.

Assuming the drum bearings aren't shot (does the inner drum wiggle up in down inside the outer drum? - if so the bearings are fu.....er, shot) then Bear predicts the outer drum damper mounts usually at the bottom of the machine are kernackered - easy & cheap DIY fix usually; the top mounts are usually bluddygreatsprings in my experience.

(edit:  Assuming the machine is level and the feet correctly adjusted, of course - and the floor is solid enough).

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Butter in a bacon roll is just plain wrong!   right!

There - corrected it for you.....

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Pilchard and marmalade on a granary bloomer? Roast beef and peanut butter in a naan? Grilled haloumi, onion chutney and bean sprouts on rye? Why not? Whatever floats your boat!

Bear often has Tommy Sauce on Toast (last night, in fact).  Go on, live dangerously and give it a go....

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Provided that the ingredients were all top-notch (ie nothing synthetic) even a LDC, Chip and Pizza topping on focaccia would be a delicious treat for someone...

There's hope for you yet.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Just two words on salted butter*: essential hypertension.

The average person in the UK consumes about 8.1g salt a day. Various health organisations recommend no more than 2.3g of it/day. Most of the salt consumed comes from things that don’t seem to be salty (like mass produced cake or frozen fries or ready made pasta sauces).

Bear will count his intake today - whilst deliberately trying to be "normal" and not fiddle the result.

Added salt?  Only on Chippie Chips - and they're very rare nowadays.  In veg or pasta whilst cooking?  Nope, never.

46 minutes ago, TheQ said:

All I got on the Bear's link was an article about running..

It's a "rather fast guy" saying his fave after a race is a Pizza.  With Pineapple.

iD is now hyperventilating.

46 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Time for breaky.. Hmm  that well might be a B.L.T.

Ben says that's a fine decision - that'll be buttered and dodge the L & T though.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, TheQ said:

All I got on the Bear's link was an article about running..

Keep looking, it’s well hidden.   I’ll just say Pizza & pineapple and leave it there.

TTFN

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Her indoors likes bacon with a bit of mustard in her sarnie...just sayingnlike...

Bear: 

Butter (ok, so it's cheapo cr@p in Bear Towers - not cos' Bear is a tightwad but because the real deal is just such a PITA to spread), Tommy Sauce & English Mustard.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Keep looking, it’s well hidden.   I’ll just say Pizza & pineapple and leave it there.

TTFN

Beaten by The Bear.....😁

Bear here.....

First Mission: get the Beary Ears lowered, then it's MIUABGAD; hopefully the Printer Cartridge will appear today and I can get some important stuff printed off at last.

ION.....

Heads-up Guys.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68966497

Hopefully it won't affect any fellow ER'ers

BG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Baz is of course correct about Frost being made in Leeds, a friend was in it a few times, as an extra.  He was.... a police officer in Leeds!  We recognise some of the areas as we have a number of friends that live/lived in Leeds. 

Of course we follow Vera avidly, to spot the locations around Tyneside, great fun, and in a recent one, the street I lived in as a young 'un, with a childhood friend as an extra is several scenes.

• Like 19

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Trying to keep carbs low is difficult, they're everywhere.

Tell me about it…

However, in no particular order, the following manage to both fill me me up and keep me satiated (a lot of the problems with dieting are associated with satiety) with minimal carbohydrate load

• Slow roasted pork belly (amazing, fills you up, loads of crackling and zero carbs)
  • Grilled lamb chops
  • iD’s almost “Full English” (bacon, soss, black pud, mushrooms, scrambled egg - with careful choice of soss and black pud, very low carb indeed). It’s almost a Full English as it’s missing that key FE ingredient: a fried slice.
  • Liver and onions.
  • Homemade broccoli and cheese soup 
  • Siedfleisch (boiling beef) cooked sous-vide for 24 hours, sliced and seared on a hot griddle served with a salad.
  • Boiled Beef and Carrots (I have a genuine East End recipe for that)
  • Salade tiède with bacon (basically bacon lardons cooked slowly to release the fat - the fat acting to replace the oil in the salad dressing - some decent balsamic vinegar and the salad tossed in this sauce/dressing). A chopped hard boiled egg can also be added.

Unfortunately, all but the lamb chops, liver and onions, almost Full English and the salade tiède are not quick dishes to make - but definitely worth it.

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling and missed word
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

………the only rule about sandwiches is that you gotta have quality ingredients, apart from that there are NO rules.

Agreed. One of the sarnies on my list of likes is extra mature cheddar cheese and strawberry jam. It’s something I picked up from an American colleague and to my taste is yummy. As Flávio states, though, it has to be good quality ingredients.

Dave

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

No rules? Do they have sandwiches in Germany? No wonder it's so hard to get a decent sandwich in Singapore 🤣

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:
  • iD’s almost “Full English” (bacon, soss, black pud, mushrooms, scrambled egg - with careful choice of soss and black pud, very low carb indeed). It’s almost a Full English as it’s missing that those key FE ingredients: a fried slice & chips & beans & T & toast.

There - corrected it for you.....😁

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

If   you remember way back in 1979-80 there was a TV detective series called Shoestring, that was mostly filmed in Bristol and Weston Super Mare. The outside view of the  supposed radio studios was actually a multistory car park near the docks.

In the series he'd run round a corner in Bristol and appear in WSM, then another and appear in Bristol.

The great shame is the inspector George Gently, the books were based in Norfolk, but they moved the filming  to the north east. Ironically it's star Martin Shaw lives in Norfolk just about a mile from my winter sailing compatriot.

In films of course the commonly know local connections are the Swallows and Amazons films. Those based on the broads are familiar places I sail, in the books mention is made of Horning Staithe, just a hundred yards from the sailing club.

Then there was...

image.png.155c7dd6d18efa627aeb001ddcefdf81.png

Which was filmed on the broads particularly in and around Hickling broad which is very near Heigham Holmes a secret WW2 SOE airfield. No military facilities as such were there, as it's only a couple of miles from RAF Ludham airfield and about 10 to RAF Coltishall.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Tell me about it…

However, in no particular order, the following manage to both fill me me up and keep me satiated…..

A favourite lunch of ours that is surprisingly satisfying is a fairly large amount of baby leaf spinach mixed with chopped up avocado and crispy bacon lardons.

Dave

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

There - corrected it for you.....😁

One more post like that and I will have completed my Beary Bingo Card ("Full House").

So very, very predictable

p.s. what part of "low carbohydrate diet" didn't you grasp? (Beans, chips, toast are certainly NOT low carb)

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A favourite lunch of ours that is surprisingly satisfying is a fairly large amount of baby leaf spinach mixed with chopped up avocado and crispy bacon lardons.

Dave

Did alright till you got to the avocado aka green putty!try pork sausages with marmalade..

I quite enjoy a ham, cheddar cheese and Marmite sarnie or toasty... 

Salt.. never use it apart from crisping pork rind...

My game today is off.. Buggggrrrrrittt.  So no trophy to Glossop...

It gives me a day longer to get rid of my cold though.

Her indoors went for a minor op on a skin blemish. Local anaesthetic applied.. item removed by scraping it off using a scalpel. Scrapings off to the lab.....should be ok

Baz

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I no longer have butter, I changed to cholesterol reducing spread.  The level was not too far above desirable, the spread has reduced it.  I did have statins but had a nasty reaction (I had memory problems and could not sleep at all) so that my GP said never ever take statins again and wrote it in my notes.

As for salt there is some in the house, it is useful if the path gets icy and once in a blue moon I put a little bit on boiled new potatoes if I am eating them with fish without a sauce.  I usually get enough salt from food I buy - and living near the sea I breathe tiny particles in all the time, especially when there is a strong wind off the sea.  In prolonged hot weather I sometimes get a lot of cramp, relieved by drinking water with a small amount of salt added.

This morning has been a normal Tuesday, the groceries have come and been put away and the house is tidy.  It is dull and cold so I will just go to the beach and have a walk as it is not going to get above 10°C .  Then I will scan more photos.  I may also contact the Salvation Army to see if they have any details of what my great great uncle did with them in Africa.

Some time today I need to start to sort out the intercesions for church on Thursday.  Apart from that I can do what I like.

Last night I watched an old episode of Vera.  I am pleased I did - I hadn't seen it before which surprised me.  As usual places near to each other in the programme are not in real life.

David

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Agreed. One of the sarnies on my list of likes is extra mature cheddar cheese and strawberry jam. It’s something I picked up from an American colleague and to my taste is yummy. As Flávio states, though, it has to be good quality ingredients.

Dave

Another good cheese'n'jam combination is crumbly Cheshire cheese with blackcurrant jam.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Only one call out from bladder control last night and the sore/stiff joints weren't so troublesome this morning but pills have been taken. I try to keep my salt intake to a minimum due to hypertension, but so many things contain hidden salt. Bread for example though I understand that wholemeal bread generally has less salt than white bread. That's not why I eat wholemeal, I like the taste. When it comes to bacon I have smoked bacon, again because of the taste but it must be dry cured, not pumped full of brine.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

58 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Salt.. never use it apart from crisping pork rind...

Now you've done it!

And what a Can of Worms you have opened indeed: how to get crispy crunchy crackling (aka pork rind). There are probably as many variations on that theme as there are celebrity chefs - often with wildly disparate views (and concomitant enthusiastic supporters).

About the the only two things they all agree on is 1) very dry pork skin to start with and 2) a very, very hot oven (≥ 220°C) at some time point during the cooking, otherwise it's

• dry with paper towels/dry by leaving uncovered in fridge
  • score/don't score*
  • oil the skin/don't oil the skin
  • salt the skin heavily, leave for 30 minutes at room temperature, wipe dry/skip this step
  • salt the skin for cooking/don't salt the skin for cooking
  • blast of heat at start of cooking/blast of heat at the end of cooking
  • lower temperature slow roast/higher temperature faster roast

I'm definitely in the "slow roast" camp - although I haven't quite made my mind up about any of the other approaches - all seem to have their pros and cons.

Slow Roast Pork Belly - definitely manna from heaven (although pork belly prepared most any other way is also a must).

* if you score the rind you get nice, portion sized, pieces of crackling; if you don't, you have to break a sheet of crackling into pieces when carving - then it's a race to get to the biggest pieces first and the Devil take the hindmost!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

all seem to have their pros and cons.

We cook pork using various techniques and usually produce good looking crackling and then put it in the food waste unless a visitor wants some. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5