Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Certainly we get mozzies down here on the broads .

Sign writing done, first coat that is, needs tidying up too.

Ben walked he only chose to the end of the first lane..

Much research going into the finer touches of jib construction. There are occasional alternatives, one is to use a dyneema luff " wire" rather than a wire, "wire" but there is little information on it.

Time to go cook dinner.

• Like 19

17 minutes ago, DaveF said:

On Saturday evening I ordered some walking trousers from Craghoppers.

I'd have thought that the trousers could have made their way to you without entrusting themselves to Evri!

18 minutes ago, DaveF said:

To start with a word of praise for Evri.

Provided Craghoppers packaged the order reasonably, there's nothing that Evri could have done to damage them.  I think the main gripe recipients have for Evri is not speed of delivery, but method of delivery.

Glad you got them promptly!

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

'ello all

Weekend busy and went very well, Neil deGrasse Tyson well worth the price of admission, Mothers Day brunch excellent and the weekend finished with a pleasant evening gathering with our friends newly returned from Arizona and Jemma who was back in from a London trip and stayed for a Mothers Day evening meal/drinks.

Yesterday, work was extremely busy and the air quality index was off the charts due to smoke from Canadian forest fires - I stayed inside with the a/c running.

Today the air quality warning has been lifted and it seems much better out there. Work, SO FAR, has been quieter than it's been for the last week.

Mrs has a full calendar today what with PT, chiropractor, visiting a friend AND book club late afternoon. I'm on my own pretty much all day.

9c sunny and clear first thing, 21c forecast high which is much preferred to the 28c yesterday that added to the air quality misery!

Onward.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'd have thought that the trousers could have made their way to you without entrusting themselves to Evri!

Provided Craghoppers packaged the order reasonably, there's nothing that Evri could have done to damage them.  I think the main gripe recipients have for Evri is not speed of delivery, but method of delivery.

Glad you got them promptly!

Round here the main complaint is speed of delivery, I've only had one damaged delivery a few years ago and even I thought the packing in that case was rubbish.  The speed of delivery issue is usually a text saying that they are sorry for a 24 hour delay, after they have given an estimated delivery date and time.

David

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear had a very weird dream as well last night, for two reasons:

1. It’s highly unlikely that I ever remember them, and

2.  This one  was about A Certain Bear nickin’ a Tractor & Trailer belonging to the local council;  Claude Greengrass, Bernie Scripps and PC Rowan were also in it.  Oh yes, and the Trailer was carrying a painting worth £30M…..

Not "The Madonna With The Big Boobies"? 🤔

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit of shopping this afternoon. Tess Coes done the usual supermarket trick of moving the shelf contents around since I was last there. Just as well it wasn't a big shop today, only milk and eggs plus some fruit and veg. I did treat myself to one of those fancy breads with added cheese, thats tomorrows lunch when it will be stuffed with salami.

• Like 18

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Hopefully malaria ridden ones won’t return to their old habitats.

Here its just a spot of the old  Ross River fever and Japanese Encephalitis, Murray River Encephalitis, Barmah Forest virus, West Nile virus  along with the occasional Dengue Fever!

In the tropics when there are outbreaks of one or the other of these,  council rangers can do spot inspections of your property to make sure you have no standing water (plant pot dishes, old buckets etc) on your property.

On the plus side, nature has developed some outrageously colourful frogs up there to help deal with the mozzies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

make sure you have no standing water

We try not to, apart from the bird bath.  The birds probably scare the insects away. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Dreaming for me is triggered by Ibuprofen - it's not known for it, but it sends my dream-ometer loopy, with often wild and sometimes quite disturbing and dark dreams.  I only take it when I really really need it.

IOmoreimportantN, a big plus today from our visit to the vet, Mrs NHN given the all-clear for bowel cancer, quite why the hospital gastro-enterology department doing all the tests couldn't communicate this is an unknown, but our GP was finally able to unearth the information with a bit of computer hackery.  It would appear she has some kind of pancreatic deficiency which is easily dealt with, and the sky-high (4x danger level) test marker for nasty illness has......become totally normal.  They cannot explain why.  Having done all the other things they could think of, they are now happy to say she's OK.  Relief does not cover it.

Fish and (a small portion) of chips each for dinner to celebrate!

That's  excellent news that Neil. I'm really delighted for you and the memsahib.

• Agree 19

• RMweb Premium

I suspect being Aus, the frogs are human killers too..

Evening Awl,

Back from the MRC, with just one set of traffic lights to deal with, there appears to be an out break of road works . Even where there aren't they've put up signs saying Road closed... They've rerouted busses without telling anyone...

There's a lot of very unhappy people in Stalham..

The club chairman is back from a skin cancer lump being removed, he has a large set of stitches on his forehead..

My muddling tonight went well, though I've come back with several receipts which will need processing tomorrow.

I've never had a breakage on a delivery from Herpes /Evri, my complaint with them is I get emails saying parcel dispatched, but Herpes take forever to pick it up from the dispatch shop.. I know from stuff I've sent back that I've put it in the local dispatch shop ( a filling station) it took over a week for them to collect it..

I've only ever had one broken delivery from anyone, a parcel of cut to size perspex sheets. When the delivery man lifted it up to give it to me, lots of broken bits fell out of the parcel.. I refused acceptance..

We're surrounded by standing water, very little flow in the dykes this time of year..

Dreams I have few, and not memorable enough to remember. The only repeated I used to get when I was Ill, was a floating rippling chessboard.. I used to play a lot of chess at one time.. 

Muggachoccy gone 

Good night Awl.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain never stopped, so the day was spent mostly in the workshop, although after dinner, that was mainly to tidy up, getting ready for when Charlie calls round on Thursday. Today I’ve removed the wheels and axles and given the chassis a deep clean. It was then immersed in a bath of blacking solution. Whilst that was drying, I fitted a pair of wheels to the motor gearbox combo and connected it to my controller and ran it for about 20 in each direction. I’ll do the same again when I next go into the workshop, before giving that a deep clean and then fresh lubricant. I also made a new wood effect floor for the cab, fixed that to the new footplate I made over the weekend and then fixed that to the original cast footplate. I also drilled holes on the boiler for the handrails and smokebox handles. 

I finished in the workshop a bit earlier than usual so that I could finish making the fruit tea loaf that I’d left soaking last night. Once that was in the oven, I got just over an hour at the dining room table doing some more card structure building.

Great news Neil @New Haven Neil

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 7

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, TheQ said:

with just one set of traffic lights to deal with, there appears to be an out break of road works

Come west.  

The Cornish National Hole-Digging Championships are in full swing.  There are outbreaks of a red, yellow and green rash everywhere.  It has been diagnosed as a Cormac epidemic.  Cormac, lest you should be unaware, are the contractors often responsible though Wildanet are giving them a good run for their money.

Cormac, it is said, stands for Chaos On Roads Mostly Around Cornwall.  Wildnet are being told where to go by everyone they come into contact with; they were even served with some sort of notice by a person in a suit when the abruptly closed the only road access down the valley which quite a number of farms, private properties and holiday lets rely on.  Residents found themselves unable to get out one morning due to barriers and a trench being dug.  And a road closure notice covering the next ten days.  Someone somewhere has influence; they had access of sorts by the end of the first day after a Very Important Piece of Paper was delivered to the workers.  

In other news friend (single-parent) has noted that her son (aged 14 - just) scored some sort of Rite of Passage by getting into an over-18's party despite ID checks and bopping the night away.  Much as friend did herself in her day.  Like mother like son then.  

Thus endeth Cheeseday.  Two more days until Dr. SWMBO returns from what I gather has been a very successful and enjoyable trip to Cambridge.  She has got herself two more invitations to address conferences out of it - one of those being in South Africa!  

• Like 18