The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Not fatalities, but I was surprised by the damage wild boar do to motor vehicles.  

ADAC in Germany (like the AA or RAC) reported being called out to rescue vehicles immobilised by boar strikes at an average rate of once every 20 minutes day and night.  

Wild boar have been known to attack humans. Usually a sow protecting her young.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

California Lilac is looking very poorly.

Ours was fine for about 20 years and then it died branch by branch. We haven’t replaced it. 

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just watching the first Vera S1 Ep1, hadn't seen that one before - almost jumped when they used the frontage of the hospital I used to work in, felt really strange. Not sure why, it was used for a lot of filming back in the day when I worked there, Victorian stone frontage  type place, often used as a 'Town Hall', but it really popped up for me.  St Nicholas', Gosforth BTW for any north-easterners.  And yes, it was one of those hospickles.  No I worked there, honest.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Just watching the first Vera S1 Ep1, hadn't seen that one before - almost jumped when they used the frontage of the hospital I used to work in, felt really strange. Not sure why, it was used for a lot of filming back in the day when I worked there, Victorian stone frontage  type place, often used as a 'Town Hall', but it really popped up for me.  St Nicholas', Gosforth BTW for any north-easterners.  And yes, it was one of those hospickles.  No I worked there, honest.

The building I worked in for almost 38 years was used in an episode of Poirot. They spent nearly a week filming and when the episode went out there was about five minutes.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, PupCam said:

I saw the Italeri kit for a Manx Norton the other day whilst in Hobby Craft.   I've seen them many times and I was severely tempted but it was ~£57 IIRC and I managed to resist.       When I got home I thought I'll just have a look on the Big River where the same kit was being offered for £44 and I was unable to resist "Adding to Basket".       It turned up yesterday ..........

Being a cynic, in similar situations  I tend to wonder how a certain seller can offer something at a substantially cheaper cost than the others,  in your case I guess you found out how!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am at my MiL’s at the moment. She has a few pictures I know are correctly hung but they look wrong. It may perhaps be the picture frames are not quite rectangular. 

I'm not such a perfectionist as to insist that TV screens at work need to be dead level. I just wanted to end the "It IS straight!", "No its not!" argument that had been going on between 2 of my coworkers from the moment we  stuck the thing on the wall....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think I may have seen some people playing it or something similar on a cruise ship.

It has become very popular with "active retirees". Basically doubles tennis without all the running around - the ball doesn't carry as far.  There are courts everywhere now - often collocated with regular tennis courts.

It is noisy. As someone who is not up to playing 'proper' tennis these days, it does look fun.

Indoor pickleball centres are starting to pop up too. Sort of like a bowling alley - with pub options.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Changing destination - always the conductor’s job

IMG_6339.jpeg.21a0a9e26b8fb14cbfd7c973b2ae74b6.jpeg

Despite the fact that the conductor was legally responsible for the correct destination being displayed, it was always our drivers that ‘changed the board’.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Ours was fine for about 20 years and then it died branch by branch. We haven’t replaced it. 

I'm afraid they tend to do that. Bit like the built in obsolescence in washing  machines- just after the guarantee runs out.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There's a Revell kit for £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315303601403? same kit?

Don't know.  Same scale so maybe?

This is the one I found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276425494804?chn=ps&_ul=GB

Also, Revell marketed Italeri kits for several years so that would be the same kit.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the old Wilts and Dorset bus, the village I lived in in Wiltshire 1963-71 was served by the number 8 bus from Andover to Salisbury, it still is, occasionally used that on the way to and from school. Though that route used Routemasters back then. The observant among you will note that's a route from Hampshire to Wiltshire.

Don't think I ever saw a Hants and Wilts bus.

Mooring Awl.

3.5 hours, 1 hour, 2 hours , 1 hours sleep.

Initially helped by pink pills, my knee is a lot better than late yesterday.

Ben the I'd like out Collie, was only 15 minutes early today, he enjoyed following a trail, probably the muntjac I saw wandering around yesterday. No Wind!!! Blue welkin mostly..

Hmm 97sqm apartment = 1044 sqft

This house is about 1200 sqft. 

So the apartment is not much smaller..

However  there's about another 500sqft of mobile home and 1000sqft of garage and sheddery out there😀

Plans for today,

Change hob,

Work on lawnmower 

But first

Time for breaky.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Nice day yesterday umpiring a very nice friendly game at Escrick Park..the home of the Yorkshire Gentlemen. A bit of fun, some serious bowling and batting and.. it was dry!

Not sure what I have been organised to do today.. yet!

Enjoy your day!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TheQ said:

Probably in the medical facility the way my knee is feeling...

I'm sure Dr. Beverley can make you feel a lot better and put a big smile on your face......😉

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I am feeling a sense of deja vu, I am in Brussels for the first time since the pandemic and it's like I was never away. I used to be over here every couple of weeks for day or overnight trips and got a bit fed up of it but it's nice to be back. The flight from Singapore to Istanbul was one of the newer Turkish Airlines A350's and was superb, the seat was excellent and Turkish do in-flight food and in-flight entertainment better than most. The flight from Istanbul to Brussels got a thumbs up as despite being an Euro short haul A321 it had a business class cabin, 2+2 seats with in-flight entertainment and a full (very good) meal service, unlike most European airlines which just move the divider curtain and don't sell the middle seat for business class. Airlines which many European airlines probably look down their noses at like Vietnam Airlines and Garuda Indonesia have propoer business class cabins and in-flight service in their short haul fleets yet Lufthansa, BA, AF, KLM etc just sell economy class seats at a huge mark up and leave the middle seat empty.

Which is why I avoid flying those airlines - short-haul or long haul. I do make an exception for the Swiss flight ZRH -LCY - principally for the top-not ground handling they afford Business Class passengers, which more than outweighs the less than amazing seating.

Back when we had Swissair (remember them?), I had to urgently get from London to Genoa - and the only flights available were in First Class with Swissair via Zürich - that was a luxurious flight indeed. Unfortunately, hubris at the top of Swissair combined with a less than competitive business class service on long haul* and a rather poor choice of airline partners** led to the company's demise. I find Swiss sorta OK, but it's clear that Swiss is the unwanted stepchild of the Lufthansa group with many of the great routings out of Switzerland (e.g. BSL-LCY) being axed or re-routed via Munich or Frankfurt.

* when BA (back when it was good) had first equipped its long haul fleet with lie-flat beds and loads of amenities in business class, these were still ONLY for first class passengers on Swissair.

** One of the airlines Swissair was partnered with was SABENA! Say No More!!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I don’t know what happened over the weekend, but it just got away from me, it’s just Ben busy, busy ,busy here. Needless to say I’ve not even tried to catch up on what others have posted since Saturday night. I was hoping to get some more work done in the garden today, but the overnight rain might have put paid to that, I see how the ground is when I go out later. 

Best get in with it, back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4