The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

Up at sillyo'clock (0430) for a piddle in the pool; the plan was to take the pair of unwanted strides to the post office on the way back to Bear Towers - until I realised I'd be 40 minutes too early.  Poo.

Next mission is to make the Bear Pit then do a bit of work on Harry the Honda - first task** is to take a look at the brake calipers and make sure all is well/grease the slidey bits.

**Weather permitting - the Met. Website is saying there's only a 10% chance of rain all day, yet Alexa says different.....fortunately the brakes tend to be at the same place as the wheels - and that's the front & back of Harry; that means I can just uncover that bit of Harry and quickly re-cover if I need to.

Time to wriggle.....

Bear gone.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Nice to see the old Wilts and Dorset bus, the village I lived in in Wiltshire 1963-71 was served by the number 8 bus from Andover to Salisbury, it still is, occasionally used that on the way to and from school. Though that route used Routemasters back then. The observant among you will note that's a route from Hampshire to Wiltshire.

Don't think I ever saw a Hants and Wilts bus.

By Routemaster I take it that you mean a bus with an open rear platform. The Routemaster was a London bus designed for London and was just coming into service in the sixties. They were all red except for a few that were painted green for the country services.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit of fuss from Arthur Itis last night kept me awake until I took a couple of Nurofen. Not sure what I will be doing today, if the hay fever lets me I'll do a bit more pottering about in the garden. There's not anything urgently needed food wise, in fact the fridge is pretty full.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Oh darn, i thought it was a bit of snot on my android screen🙄

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Oh darn, thought that was a bit of snot on the screen🙄

8 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Oh darn it, i thought that was a bit of snot on the screen!🙄

You can have too much of a good joke ..... 🤣

ION

Manx Norton kit dispatched.   As I said to the nice lady in the post office; it was very good of her to wrap it  and return from whence it came and ironic that if they'd have wrapped it themselves, she'd have been out of something to do.

Searching for the communication from the NHS telling me to go and book a Covid booster.      I'm blowed if I can remember what form it was in, I thought it was a text but no sign.   Perhaps I dreamt it?

TTFN

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

By Routemaster I take it that you mean a bus with an open rear platform. The Routemaster was a London bus designed for London and was just coming into service in the sixties. They were all red except for a few that were painted green for the country services.

"Routemaster" is a term used increasingly, but erroneously, for any old-style bus with an open rear platform  Usually red ones but I have heard the term applied to those in other colours.  

As @PhilJ W says a Routemaster was actually a specific marque of vehicle designed and produced for London and built by AEC and Park Royal Vehicles.  Just shy of 3000 were built all but 50 going to London; the balance were sold to Northern General and were of a forward-entrance design not used in London but intended for wider provincial sales which never materialised.  

Many of those non-Routemaster buses used widely across the country were the products of Bristol, Leyland and Daimler types; others were from AEC but were not Routemasters.  In Hampshire and Wiltshire Bristol types were most common.  

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well the hay fever season is starting! 🤧

I don’t suffer from hay fever, unless one day of slightly itchy eyes counts. Except for the day we went to RHS Hyde Hall one lovely summer day. They have an area (Sky Meadow) planted out showing grassland plants from across the world. We walked near the American Prairie area and I had exactly the symptoms that people with hay fever suffer from. So,perhaps a holiday on the prairies is not for me. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

all but 50 going to London

One came down here, maybe on a gap year or to go backpacking, and never left. RM1708 now  lives in the Sydney Bus Museum.

image.png.047d59be077edec2f6d95e451b8ddc58.png

image.png.34f61a0b4b8818bf6e63afe408eac112.png

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Searching for the communication from the NHS telling me to go and book a Covid booster.      I'm blowed if I can remember what form it was in, I

Mine was an email on the 15th April. 
it said I was being offered the vaccine as NHS records show I may have a weakened immune system. I then just went to the NHS app on my iPad (could have used phone but iPad was nearer ) logged in and found the option to book a Covid jab. It suggested I took along either a letter explaining what my condition was or a box of the medication.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t suffer from hay fever, unless one day of slightly itchy eyes counts. Except for the day we went to RHS Hyde Hall one lovely summer day. They have an area (Sky Meadow) planted out showing grassland plants from across the world. We walked near the American Prairie area and I had exactly the symptoms that people with hay fever suffer from. So, perhaps a holiday on the prairies is not for me. 

I don't think I suffer either, though one day I went out to post a letter - post box was 100 yards away and a third of the way there, started sneezing. By the time I got back, the handkerchief was - um ... very soggy... Stopped sneezing a minute or two after going back in. I was living on the coast at the time (mid-Wales) about 25 yards from the beach, it was a light westerly breeze and no-one had a bonfire, revving an old banger or doing anything unusual. I've never had anything remotely like that before or since, still haven't a clue what happened. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

So it seems, I'm not a bussy, other than knowing the family 0wned some Burlingham Seagulls in the dim and very distant past that's the limit of my knowledge of busses.

Ah, looking it up, the most common double decker owned by Wilts and Dorset were Bristol KG5s with an ECW low bridge body... Glad I wasn't the driver of the chassis going from Bristol to Lowestoft...

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, southern42 said:

.... Back from a few days visit on the SVR. Rather chilly but lots of (unexpected) sunshine around so plenty of photos taken...

IMG_8916.jpeg.c4fe39d135cdd791db878ed64928ec2e.jpeg

Nice to see the Jones the Steam fan club giving Edwin a warm welcome! 

Thanks for the other pictures too, some nice ones there. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Does this apply to  @monkeysarefun I wonder . 

motormullet.jpg.fa572325b32d7c67e5f8c78b302f4a73.jpg

Where's the vinyl roof?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Google/Utoob 'Cleetus McFarland' to see the 'real' Mullet - one of those, but rather faster.

A 7.09 is pretty quick but honourable mention to GMKILR, a street-legal Ford Falcon ute with the mighty 6 cylinder Barra motor that does high 7's, and it is road registered  so he can legally drive it back home afterwards and take stuff to the tip on the way. 

In comparison a Mclaren P1 takes 9.8 seconds.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10