The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think either I have two broken shoulders, or the tree lopping yesterday with the mini chainsaw on a long pole thing has taken its toll on my 65 y/o muscles.  *&^%$£ I'm sore!  Hells bells.  Not doing that again in a hurry!

What you clearly need is a LMWDIFY (a Little Man Who Does It For You).

This will allow you to both avoid injury AND have time for your M**** R******!

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am sorry to have to report that there is effectively no new audiology service locally. The referral waiting time for initial new tests is considerable. In some other NHS areas it is much better but the hearing aids available on the NHS are somewhat dated. Some people,need these aids in order to work,or communicate effectively. My problem was hearing broadcast sound or the beginning of any sentence Aditi said to me. It turned out my hearing was particularly deficient in the female speech frequency range. With no chance of getting a NHS appointment I went to a private provider. 

One of things that has changed since Manutopea went U.D.I in terms of health provision- in essence the social care & health budgets have been combined in an attempt to stop repetition of some of the bureaucracy.

This has resulted things like audiology  being out sourced to the private sector. Something which if you think about makes quite a bit of sense. Anyway when I went I was seen by a firm of opticians who also do hearing tests etc. Prior to this it had been in an NHS centre come library. My existing aids, NHS ones were replaced, but there were others available. The wait was about three to four weeks from requesting it so quite fast.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Yeaaaaah…..about that last bit. Totally sure that at least one has slipped through the net. 

You should have met some of the specimens I have had to work with over the years. 

Hey maybe if we got them tested……obviously for the benefit of science and stuff…..……

……..personally I’d recommend dissection as Plan A……….don’t even need a Plan B….

Hey don’t judge me….you've never them! 

IIRC, the average European of today has something like 3 - 5% Neanderthal DNA.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Its the ones at the high end of the spectrum you have to worry about, and if two breed....

ION

OTOH its the Labrador gene thats a concern.  I was just sitting here, and I had a compulsion to get some toast and a muggatea.....

"crunch, crunch"

Crackin' toast, Gromit!

• Funny 18

11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Possibly some Denisovan DNA too but that is more often found in populations from Oceania and the Far East. Amazingly they have found a fossil that has DNA evidence that the interbreeding was one or at most two generations back.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh hands off. I asked first. Once I've done chopping hasps your welcome to them.

If the padlock isnt too big the two-spanner trick works pretty well  I've found, on the occasions I've lost the key.  For bigger locks maybe use bigger spanners!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Well you can either say; 

that explains a lot

or

that they were very progressive long ago.

I'll leave you to decide.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

LOL..most of the specimens I was referring to must have been a way higher percentage than that.

Collectively they couldn’t manage their way out of a room with no walls! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

image.png.76276302fb95bbec038889857cccc090.png

£12.99 from a big orange shed, no doubt cheaper elsewhere.

Mine were cheaper from the local antique/junk store of fond memory. It was great for those “I’ll only need it for this one job so no way am I buying a new one” tools.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not doing that again in a hurry!

I do jobs involving reaching or stretching for things and really hurt the next day. I think next time I will do,some stretching warm up exercises first. I never do.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

One of things that has changed since Manutopea went U.D.I in terms of health provision- in essence the social care & health budgets have been combined in an attempt to stop repetition of some of the bureaucracy.

This has resulted things like audiology  being out sourced to the private sector. Something which if you think about makes quite a bit of sense. Anyway when I went I was seen by a firm of opticians who also do hearing tests etc. Prior to this it had been in an NHS centre come library. My existing aids, NHS ones were replaced, but there were others available. The wait was about three to four weeks from requesting it so quite fast.

So definately a North v South divide! 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Neanderthals had bigger brains than us and were around for 200,000 years whereas we have only been around for 40,000 years. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

That’s most reassuring given that we share about 50% of our DNA with a banana.

• Like 1
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BoD said:

That’s most reassuring given that we share about 50% of our DNA with a banana.

We also share a proportion of our DNA with mushrooms.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I managed to get myself ready and set off early for my 3pm in Leigh on Sea for my hearing test. The sound proof box was faulty but they have portable units for home visits. Anyway the test went well and pretty well confirmed by own belief/observations of the state of my hearing over the last year. It was however not just a case of boosting the default amplification but tweaking certain frequency bands. 
I got a cup of tea and a biscuit too!
Tony

The ‘tweaking of certain frequency bands’ in some modern hearing aids outperforms many top of the range graphic equalisers that cost and arm and a leg a few years ago.

Apart from the overall amplification I notice a huge improvement un the clarity of what I hear.  My (lack of) frequency response is a result of, and typical of, me having measles as a youngster.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

So definately a North v South divide! 

I'm afraid so. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that Manutopea has a mayor and he made the case, along with the 'professionals' for the budget to be devolved down to the regional level rather than it being left in Whitehall. But I might be wrong.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Well you know Mother Nature when she hits on a winning formula why change something that clearly works. Genetics where would we be without it.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I always knew there was something magic about me.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

6 hours ago, polybear said:

I see the Trial of The Orange One has finally kicked off.....only to be adjurned until tomorrow after just 30 minutes......cos' one of the Jurors had a Dental Appointment.  Hope he had a note from his mu

Not quite correct - both prosecution  and defence gave their opening statements and the first witness  got 30 minutes of questioning by the prosecution prior to the adjournment at 12;30PM, which may be where the 30 minutes figure came from.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, BoD said:

My (lack of) frequency response is a result of, and typical of, me having measles as a youngster.

The audiologist today asked if I had worked in a very noisy industry,as my hearing response looked as if I had. I said I hadn’t so just bad luck then. I had been unwell with measles when I was at junior school but the hearing loss was only apparent later in life, I had no upper frequency loss until I was about 60.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

I always knew there was something magic about me.

I have always been a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed a load of bullsh1t...

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

And some ancestors may have walked before the tide rose at least 100,000 years ago..

Tricky to know for sure.  Modern humans were in Northern Europe 45,000 years ago, but perhaps not much before that. They were present in Southern Europe perhaps 10,000 years before that.

For La Manche, this is useful. The channel was not always a channel. There was a land bridge 600,000 years ago but what is now "England" was glaciated. 

At some point there was a series of megafloods that carved the chalk where the Pas De Calais is today. Sea levels rose and fell a lot.

In a more meaningful period for human migration there was a 'river' where the channel is about 20 - 25,000 years ago. At that point Wales and the North of England were still glaciated, but a passage might have been possible.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Changed to "modern" humans for clarity
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6