The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:
48 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

all but 50 going to London

One came down here

They are widely, if thinly, distributed around the world now having largely ceased to operate in London.  One tourist route, the T15, still uses them between the Tower of London and Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square but it's not within the TfL fares scheme.  

A number of Routemasters went to the Niagara Falls where some still are.  A handful have ben purchased as hospitality units or mobile homes and have travelled through Europe and the US.  You won't spend a day in central London without seeing one as there are also numerous "tours" such as the afternoon tea run and the ghost tour which use Routemasters in addition to a handful in use on sightseeing trips alongside high-capacity modern vehicles.  

My favourite iteration was the long Green Line coach, type code RCL, which were originally used from Aldgate to Grays, Upminster, Corbett's Tey and Brentwood.  They didn't last long and were moved onto the more prestigious Tunbridge Wells - London - Windsor routes but again were moved on after a couple of years to be downgraded to buses as the Green Line coach network went over to one-person operated coaches.  The 709, Baker Street - Godstone, hung on until 1976 as the last bastion of crew-worked Green Line service using a trio of RCLs.  This unlikely operation comprised just three trips in each weekday peak and two on Sundays; it was felt that the cost of new vehicles specifically for that was unaffordable so the Routemasters remained for around six years after they were taken off other routes.  

I enjoyed riding them between Croydon and Horsham on that long route through the varying Surrey countryside.  11 litre engines and rear air suspension gave them a turn of speed and a degree of comfort their red city cousins didn't quite match.  Geared for the faster Green Line coach services they moved given an open road.  Not even the "normal" 100 green Routemaster buses (type RML) built for the country area matched that; they featured the standard 9 litre engine and leaf springs.  

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Time for a bit of a rant I feel. So here we go.

Now for the last two months I've being trying to get the council to do a simple job. Can I get them to do it. You must be joking. It's like trying to get a lemming not to jump. So what is this simple job. All it is is to lock two internal security gates in the main park so as to deter vehicles from driving around the park. I've tried everything short of throwing myself under the wheels of one of the speeding vehicles.

What is it about people nowadays and getting them to do there job. It's like your asking them to do you a favour or something instead of them being paid to do it.

Last time this happed it took them twelve months because a) they couldn't find the key to unlock the gate and b) no one in the council had any bolt croppers or hack saw. 

Well I'm of to stand in the middle of the park directing traffic. I might be some time as it's 'rush hour' here now that all the yummy mummies have figured out they can park outside the play area so that little Tarquin doesn't have to get his £300 trainers mucky.

Bit of chain and a padlock when no-one's looking.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

That's annoying just typing the below posting and a popup from this website appeared where I was about to hit the screen and when I did hit it, it leapt onto another screen and lost the typing..

That was one pig of a job.

The old hob had a central surface mounted connection area, plenty of room of cables and easy to do connections.

The new hob has the connections in a 2 inch deep well in the bottom of the hob, to a glorified choc block.

The choc block was EXTREMELY tight for 10mm^2 British cooker cabling. Wires kept catching on the edges...

This system is 10mm^2 from the wall, with 6mm^2 looped onto the oven..

The cables are supposed to do a 90 left from the choc block into a cable clamp, impossible with flat cabling unless you do a folded bend. There's not enough room for two cables to do that!!

So I've left the cable clamp off, no one is going to be pulling that hob around...

Next problem, the new hob has it's connection box on one edge.. that fouled the side of the kitchen unit, so a hollow had to be cut out for it to fit..  

Just need to do a trim piece to hide the cut out in the side of the kitchen unit..

All "rings" tested ok.

Too late in the day to start the mower as I'd have to leave it out all night near the driveway gates...

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Decided to fit a "dual cooker appliance outlet" to the wall, that's one in and 2 out.

It can take 16mm^2 cable .

Then it will be separate cables to hob and oven.

That will make a much neater job of it.

It will be below the hob, but above the oven and unseen once fitted.

Bits should arrive tomorrow, so that will be fitted Wednesday.

It will make disconnecting and moving units easier later, there is a plan to move the oven up to hob level. That will make getting  hot oven trays out a lot safer and easier.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bit of chain and a padlock when no-one's looking.....

If only that was possible Bear but the devious, so and so's - over words are available, padlock the sodding things open don't they. If only I had a battery angle grinder.

Edited by Winslow Boy
It's a grinder not a s&£#&&g chainsaw you w"'&£#r
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

image.png.76276302fb95bbec038889857cccc090.png

£12.99 from a big orange shed, no doubt cheaper elsewhere.

Quicker and quieter than a chainsaw or angle grinder 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t suffer from hay fever, unless one day of slightly itchy eyes counts. Except for the day we went to RHS Hyde Hall one lovely summer day. They have an area (Sky Meadow) planted out showing grassland plants from across the world. We walked near the American Prairie area and I had exactly the symptoms that people with hay fever suffer from. So,perhaps a holiday on the prairies is not for me. 

55 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I don't think I suffer either, though one day I went out to post a letter - post box was 100 yards away and a third of the way there, started sneezing. By the time I got back, the handkerchief was - um ... very soggy... Stopped sneezing a minute or two after going back in. I was living on the coast at the time (mid-Wales) about 25 yards from the beach, it was a light westerly breeze and no-one had a bonfire, revving an old banger or doing anything unusual. I've never had anything remotely like that before or since, still haven't a clue what happened. 

I didn't suffer from hay fever until my mid fifties. Tree pollen was the main cause of my hay fever usually in March/April. Grass pollen is a bit later in the year in May/June/July followed by late flowering plants in August. I'm not affected so much later in the year.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A 7.09 is pretty quick but honourable mention to GMKILR, a street-legal Ford Falcon ute with the mighty 6 cylinder Barra motor that does high 7's, and it is road registered  so he can legally drive it back home afterwards and take stuff to the tip on the way. 

In comparison a Mclaren P1 takes 9.8 seconds.

Mullet has been in the 6's with 220 mph, goes OK for the weight of it!  Edit - it was 'street legal' in Florida, he ran it in drag and drive weeks, but street legal for Florida doesn't count for much!  It's on methanol now so isn't road driven.

The Barra is a good motor, but the Americans ain't interested unless it has 8 cylinders, the Viper V10 never was really loved, although Allen Millyard made a nice bike with one!  Cleetus' mate Cooper Bogetti swapped a Nissan 2JZ 6 cyl into a Camaro, goes 7's, but the punters hate it - ain't American, ain't a V8.  Coop likes to cock a snook at folk.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nothing much done this morning due to a comic concerning things that run on parallel steel rails dropping onto the doormat. I did put the washing on just before that so I'd better empty the machine.

• Like 17

Put some towels in the wash this morning and hung them out to "dry". As its not all that warm, the breeze has dropped and its gone rather dull, I've been keeping an eye on whats going on outside as I bumble around other housekeeping tasks just in case the weather decides another rinse cycle is needed...

🙂

Just can't trust the weather!  After typing the above, I thought it had become a bit greyer, popped my nose outside and discovered dampish sprinkles in the air...  Now they're all inside on a drying rack.

🙄

Edited by Hroth
Update...
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Searching for the communication from the NHS telling me to go and book a Covid booster.      I'm blowed if I can remember what form it was in, I thought it was a text but no sign.   Perhaps I dreamt it?

Just ring 119 Puppers. That's what I did this morning and within five minutes had booked Jill and I in at a time and place that suited us.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Dropped off some stuff at the local charity hospice shop. Came away with a couple of books; one on buses about  Southern National by Colin Morris.

Talking of buses... I remember when I worked in the Civil Service in London. Would catch the 68 at Chalk Farm in the morning. If I timed it right I could jump onto the Routemaster as it waited at the lights. 
In the evening I tended to walk back and pop into KX on the way to see (and hear) the Deltics.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

image.png.76276302fb95bbec038889857cccc090.png

£12.99 from a big orange shed, no doubt cheaper elsewhere.

Quicker and quieter than a chainsaw or angle grinder 

A nice pair of squirrel nut loppers!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Can I borrow them.

You could but with their weight, both postage or coming to get them would be more expensive than buying..

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

You could but with their weight, both postage or coming to get them would be more expensive than buying..

Yes but if I 'borrow' them, when I'm investigated for 'damaging' council property the 'thought police' won't be able to accuse me of going equipped as I'll be able to say I 'found' them. Plus of course they'll be 'assisting' with rodent control by then.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6