The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

6 hours sleep last night, Helped by Ibuprophen. I'd tried to avoid it this week, but my back was getting worse..

This time Tomorrow I will be arriving at Hickling Sailing club, to get one of their boats out for use as a rescue boat. Get a brush to brush the goose carp off of the pier, so we don't trample it into one of Martham hire boats especially as they have lent it to us at no cost.... Two others will head that way and collect the boat from Martham to bring it up to Hickling.
Then four of us will set up the radio, do radio checks back to the club, and settle in to wait for
Boats to arrive, Normally that will be about 14:00, this year…..

The forecast For Horning

Tomorrow     Sat 2 Jun
Hour    Wind     Avg.  Gust           Temp. Rain          Cloud Press.
10:00    SSE       3 mph to 5 mph  19 °C  3.9 mm    66 % 1018 mb
13:00    WSW    5 mph to 7 mph  20 °C  8.7 mm   100 % 1017 mb
16:00    W          3 mph to 6 mph  20 °C  2.3 mm    90 % 1017 mb
19:00    WSW    2 mph to 5 mph  20 °C  0 mm       92 % 1017 mb
22:00    SW         5 mph to 6 mph  17 °C  0 mm      31 % 1018 mb

Sun 3 Jun
Hour      Wind    Avg.  Gust               Temp.  Rain        Cloud  Press
01:00     WSW      7 mph to 10 mph  15 °C   0 mm      0 % 1018 mb
04:00      W           6 mph to 7 mph    14 °C   0 mm      0 % 1018 mb
07:00      WNW     6 mph to 8 mph    16 °C   0 mm      12 % 1019 mb
10:00       NNW     6 mph to 7 mph    20 °C   0.1 mm   64 % 1019 mb
13:00       N            8 mph to 8 mph     21 °C   0.1 mm   27 % 1019 mb

it's going to be a slow old race, I doubt we'll see many early this time.. This should be the views we will see. https://www.hicklingbroad.com/webcam.html

There is a pub next door the Pleasure Boat Inn where many years ago the Duke of Edinburgh stayed, for shooting trip, these days most of the area is owned by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust....

I hope to be able to send the odd Picture  as we the guardship, will be closer to the clubhouse this year to get the wifi, (unless we get told to shorten course and move nearer the entrance to the broad)… Certainly for the first few hours I should, if neccessary, be able to walk over to the clubhouse to send the pictures...until we get busy recording boats going by..

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land.  The problem with Facebook still persists so I think it might be an idea to remove some of the rarely active and moribund groups to make it easier to manage. The bin wagons dawn chorus is in full swing having been delayed by the bank holiday. Brightening up now after this mornings dull start but should (?) stay dry. Muggatee awaits so bye for now.

• Like 7

Morning to everyone. I am just trying to pick feathers out of my mouth after following Simon’s advice and sucking as a low flying bird approached. Whilst I cough and splutter I would like to wish Brian well, hoping his knee improves soon.

The mood is not good this morning, last night was devoid of sleep so the patience is at breaking point. Not the time to be sharing a room with an excitable six year old who is looking forward to a ten pin bowling treat later in the day. Sadly I cannot say I am as excited by it all. The idea of being in a room full of screaming children, loud music and rattling skittles is not one to anticipate at present. This evening Sarah and I are due to be going out for a meal together. Now that is something I am looking forward to.

Best wishes

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Breakfast has been consumed and I’m currently waiting for Sheila to finish getting ready and then we are off to the Trafford Centre. Not my favourite place to visit during a school holiday, but if you get there for when it opens (10:00) you beat a lot of the crowds.

Andy. I hope your day goes well, sometimes watching kids have a bit fun can be great fun in itself, despite the noise! Enjoy your evening out with Sarah.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And a relatively bright one thus far with all the rain cancelled by the Met Office and only 'clouds' expected - we shall see if their seaweed is correct.   Following yesterdays adventure to the outskirts of the big city this week's faux friday is to become a real Friday - and probably at the trainspotting venue; I await confirmatory orders.

And so to our adventure yesterday, our mainline train eastwards was only a 4 car which soon turned out to be grossly inadequate as it stops at 'every p*ssing post and lamp post' (an old railway term for an all stations stopper) east of Slough and even the presence of a Crossrail white worm at Hayes didn't deter the punters from joining an overcrowded proper train, which oddly then stopped at Southall (why not change to the worm at Hayes?).  We were also delayed at Southall to let a stone train cross from the yard to Hanwell Bridge Loop across our bows - not sure why it hadn't gone into Hanwell Bridge Loop in the first place as that was why I'd had the loop built back in the early '90s!!  Anyway not to worry.  We had an interesting walk around Blondin Park which is near our friend's house - got there via Niagrara Avenue and left via Blondin Avenue - apparently at one time the tightrope walker had lived in the vicinity in Niagara House.  A good lunch had been enjoyed before the much needed walk!

We returned to Ealing Broadway by train and changed to the Distraught Line at acton Town - apparently TfL's idea of a 'Good service' is roughly on a par with GTR's as the Distraught train moved on the indicator from second to third three times only then to be followed by two more Distraught trains.  Fortunately it was easy to tell the train wasn't a Distraught one as it ran in as the Picalilli Line ones are a lot smaller, obviously the indicator was also wise to this as it changed as the train ran in.  Further examples of TfL's inability to understand railway operation emerged at Ealing Broadway where a Crossrail white worm preceded our train and it immediately became obvious that trains of that length don't fit the signalling as the signal immediately beyond Ealing Broadway on the Down Relief took a considerable time to clear to green (with the white worm stopping at West Ealing), further delay was encountered when we came to a dead stand just past Hanwell bridge - again obviously due to overlaps being occupied behind the Crossrail white worm leaving Southall.  But our gallant 387 duly recovered from such insults and ended up waiting time at Slough and stations west thereof.  Overall a good day was had.

Have a good day one and all and may the ailing and recovering continue to make positive progress.

PS. Latest twist on GDPR - I have received a GDPR letter from Jewsons - yes not an email but a letter!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Yo Peeps 

Don't buy a new tv unless you have a TVoligy gone are the days when you plugged the thing in twiddled the knobs and set the

channels, the air was a deep blue 1/2 hour in I even had to log it into the modem, click this that and the other for all the freeview

channels, Google and everything else under the sun to do with media.  :heat:

The remote came close to being parked where the sun don't shine when HER had the gall to sit there and tell me how it's done 

when she is clueless when it comes to technology do we need the CD player I asked all I got was a silly look so it's been thrown

in the garage I give up, when something don't work for HER the instuction book will be thrown her way then I will leggit. :banghead:

I.V. Eadenuff

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

just give some Idea of what I've been wittering on about..

This first Video is the preparations for the 2013 race,

As it will be this afternoon, https://youtu.be/zkHqe1a32Pg

and a time lapse of 1.5 hours in 2 minutes of the start of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS99ePcCl9I (same year).

Getting through the hole in the wall called  Potter Heigham bridge,

https://youtu.be/L970G0GMn9s

A very short clip on getting through Potter Heigham Bridge how it should be done, I'm fairly sure the guy on the helm is a Chinook Pilot in the RAF..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTmSIdhssU

and finally the turning point on the River ANT, just cos I'm i'm in boat 210.. one of the narrower sections of the race..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11

Morning to everyone. I am just trying to pick feathers out of my mouth after following Simon’s advice and sucking as a low flying bird approached. Whilst I cough and splutter I would like to wish Brian well, hoping his knee improves soon.

Much appreciated Andy.

The usual dose of "S*d's Law" meant that having grovelled to the Health Centre receptionist, and made to feel grateful for an appointment  three weeks hence...............I woke the next day with a lot less gyp, albeit I still walk like John Wayne, putting most of my ( quite considerable ) weight on the left peg.

Like you, I'll reserve judgement on Lampard Junior. . . . . . . . we learned our lesson the hard way when Sri Vincent Tan ( he that looks like a Bond villain !) thought O.G.S. would make a good manager, as having played for 'ManUre' would make him a good coach !

Still, it's what makes football so 'gripping' a roller coaster.

Regards

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

just give some Idea of what I've been wittering on about..

This first Video is the preparations for the 2013 race,

As it will be this afternoon, https://youtu.be/zkHqe1a32Pg

and a time lapse of 1.5 hours in 2 minutes of the start of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS99ePcCl9I (same year).

Getting through the hole in the wall called  Potter Heigham bridge,

https://youtu.be/L970G0GMn9s

A very short clip on getting through Potter Heigham Bridge how it should be done, I'm fairly sure the guy on the helm is a Chinook Pilot in the RAF..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTmSIdhssU

and finally the turning point on the River ANT, just cos I'm i'm in boat 210.. one of the narrower sections of the race..

What, not a quant pole in sight.  I well remember taking a 4 berth sailing cruiser through using quant poles.

Jamie

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

What, not a quant pole in sight.  I well remember taking a 4 berth sailing cruiser through using quant poles.

Jamie

During this race you are only allowed to quant,  paddle or row within a defined distance from each bridge. It's actually quite hard work, especially against the tide, so we all prefer to sail to as close to the bridges as possible.. I've used a quant myself it's more efficient than paddling.. but finding somewhere to store a quant on some boats is difficult..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

Our GP surgery has amalgamated with several others in town and some procedural changes have been introduced. Previously, we could request repeat prescriptions online using a unique ID number and password. A big improvement has been made by changing the log in to include the email address instead of the ID number. However, whoever dreamt up the new system had not twigged that in homes with children or a married couple there may be multiple users of the prescription service with the same email address. It will not allow more than one user of the email address, even though they have separate passwords. So it is back to ordering prescriptions by telephone. I will let you know how this pans out.

Thunder and rain here at the moment. Not really enough to do the garden any good. Stay safe all.  

Edited by Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning all. T-storms did finally arrive, so the windows immediately went open!

Prior to that, a bit of a bike tour was had, and we did manage to return home before the rain started. More generally, it’s been a fairly relaxed day, thankfully.

Wednesday had seen me check off NGT10 theory and I already know I am booked on practice for 15 June. Here’s hoping it’ll stay that way!

Will need to catch enough rest ahead of the two nighties I’m booked on this weekend. I’m curious how things will go then, of course.

Best wishes to everyone, especially those of us in need... :bye:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

No thunder (yet), no rain (yet) but hair (mine) has been shorn by the management as she has heard we might be getting some visitors tomorrow.  No other earth shattering events to report.

On our disrupted journey home last night we had to change buses in Coulsdon and had a while to wait so went in the only pub there.

Whilst relieving myself some bald headed bloke commented about my mass of hair - that was a first. I do need a haircut though as havent had one for some months :sungum:

• Like 4

No T storms here yet, though there have been some in Cumbria today. We will probably get them tomorrow instead while enroute to Loch Lomond where we stay for a week, along with no 1 son and DiL. Forecast looks good for the week, so looking forward to it. SWMBO has made a mountain of food, so we won’t be starving either!

• Like 18

Some rain here this afternoon, heard thunder from the south for a couple of hours. No t&l here, though.

Have a good week by Loch Lomond, Simon, watch for possible midges and enjoy the beer and whisky.

Mal

My son has booked us on a whisky tour at the Glengoyne distillery so the whisky will be enjoyed! I do wonder what the midges will be like after the warm weather, so industrial strength repellant has been packed! Usually I don’t have a problem with midges, as they all go for Mrs G instead! She must be tastier than I am.

• Like 8

Hi everybdy, its me!

Quick vist. Just to let you kno w Im home for a whil (and clearlywith a dodgy keyboard) :( 

Im now able to give John Colby (C.B) some incredibly well earned time off from his many kind months of liaison duties :angel: .....ill pop in from time to tim e,but possibly not too oftn, but mayb some who regularly post certain pics., might think thts a good thng! :mosking:

Have fun, best wshes,

Debs. :friends:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Great to have Debs back, welcome back Debs. My Facebook is still acting strangely, still got everything in sh!t order but at least its putting everything in the same sh!t order. In fact I am now checking through the posts quicker than before as I only check those groups where posts have been made. Mugatee awaits so back later.

• Like 14