The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening awl & sundry,

Does anyone know how to block an individual post?  I'm referring to #173904.  It may be painted blue, but you can't fool me.

Survived Deanery Synod.  I've been elected to Diocesan Synod for yet another triennial.

Then listed to the test match whilst stripping some twin & earth cable.  These are for the busbars for the "last great project".

Keep well all,

Bill

Edit - #173928 as well, now I'm seeing double!

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_0147.JPG

Good night Awl     :nono:  all.  :jester:

And with another member of this site (but not this area of it) in the 'box.  One Winterbourne, Craig to his friends, owner / operator of a Cornish-themed model and professionally a MOM and therefore relief signalman signing all the Cornish boxes.  This one being Penzance for anyone trying to guess.

Lovely interlude on the Terrace as the light faded tonight.  SWMBO and myself sat outside with a coffee and the candles lit on the table.  Peace for a moment in a currently-chaotic world.  

I might require a new toaster by mid-morning tomorrow.  I shall deny all knowledge of any incident which may of may not affect the current one, a knife and the present house guest ;)  

At least it is only three weeks until I am at liberty to venture forth to points west of the Tamar, indeed west of the Fal and of the Red River too, as SWMBO's leave ends as mine begins.  Decent bit of rostering, that.   :jester:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I hope your poppy seeds are more successful than mine. 2 years ago I threw loads around the garden. Still awaiting the first to pop up.

They like well tilled aeriated soil,* with mine once the plants had died off I pulled them up by the roots and dug the remains in. If you give the places where you scattered the seeds a good digging you might be surprised by them coming up. *This is how the poppy came to symbolise remembrance, after WW1 the battlefields became covered with poppies as the soil had been churned up by the shells exploding. (Not that I'm suggesting that you use high explosives to turn your garden over.)

• Like 4

Whoopee! The Boss is watching some soap award carp on the box. My suggestion of Wright's Coal Tar for best soap was not appreciated.  :no:

The good news is that I've just spotted that South Africa v Wales is being televised on Channel 4 with a 22.00 ko. That's my viewing sorted for later!  :imsohappy:

Wrights coal tar, sadly a shadow of its former self.

Not sure it's still Wrights and certainly doesn't contain any good old coal tar.

• Like 3

Survived Deanery Synod.  I've been elected to Diocesan Synod for yet another triennial.

Then listed to the test match whilst stripping some twin & earth cable.  These are for the busbars for the "last great project".

That would explain why you missed some great layouts at Chatham today. This one took me right back to Central Hall in the 1960s.

post-11270-0-14148400-1527975512_thumb.jpg

Tony  :jester:

• Like 15

Well another dose of the Blues and Two's has put paid to the DEMU and meet up with George T tomorrow.

Just been relesed from Hospital after the Doctor at the Walk in Centre called the Ambulance this morning. 

Chest pains again, possibly another warning shot across the Bows.

I may be gone off for a while.

• RMweb Premium

So, not quite across midnight yet and sat here for my break. City wasn’t that busy on my way here and a mate just assured me of the N17 being quite good to drive.

Andy, that certainly sounds like a scare. Be well soon!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Andy please take care - too many warnings being fired in your direction so you really must take it a lot easier, please.

Belated happy birthday Neil (BR) - just in time by my clock.  And there definitely some folk on here heading for an awl encounter by the look of recent photo postings :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I’ve spent most of the day in the garden. After tidying the shed, which took all of 30 minutes I then decided to trim some of the straggling branches of our evergreen clematis, I then did some weeding and as usual when you start one thing in the garden, it lead to other things being noticed. The end result is the garden as a whole does look a little bit more tidy and I’ve even made a temporary repair on my riddle, that had one or two large holes where there shouldn’t be any!

After a welcome muggertea this afternoon, I sat on the sofa and did a spot of eyelid inspection, I was soon accompanied by Sheila who also decided to inspect her eyelids too. Later after we’d both woken up, she said I sounded like ‘Darth Vader’ when I was resting. That’s ok I said, you sounded like ‘Babe’!

After tea we sat down and watched a bit of recorded TV with a nice bottle of red, mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Neil. Happy birthday

Andy. Look after yourself mate.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Had a long day today, oops, yesterday up at 5:30am to catch 7:02am Southeastern High Speed to St, Pancras and then Virgin Trains Pendolino to Crewe to attend an ATP scanning party held at the Crewe Heritage Centre.  Didn't leave Crewe until 4:56pm on a Virgin Trains Voyager (first time on ones of these) and finally got home at 8:35pm.

Was interesting watching the scanning despite the light drizzle for the first couple of hours, amazing what they can do these days. Once the scanning was over we were able to have a ride round the object of the scanning:

post-586-0-48746600-1527981041.jpg

Keith

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Dragon-in-Law took herself out during the morning and returned an hour ago grumpy that there were so many people about (it's the Rugby Sevens at Twickers apart from anything - a full 82000 in attendance)  and that somehow it is my fault that Australian senior citizens and war-widow veterans don't get any free travel here.  To my mind why would they?  She is accustomed to what Australia offers Australians not what Britain offers Australians.  She also has issues with the speed at which SWMBO walks (slower than DiL which therefore holds her up, somehow), the cost of everything (which is just excessive in her view) and pretty much everything else she can find to moan about.  She still cannot make up her mind about where and when to go visit while based here.  I am hoping sh does so soon as my very generous allowance of patience is steadily running out.  SWMBO is already at the end of hers after just five days .....

She sounds like she'll make a tremendous English citizen.

• Like 1

Good morning one and all!  Welcome back to Debs, belated happy birthday to Neil Blackrat and oh no, not again, do be careful to Andy P.

Yesterday was too long - nineteen and a half hours between rising and turning in.  Not all the intervening time was productive.  The roundabout at M4 J28 is being "improved", making it much easier to come off the M4 and go straight back on it towards Cardiff.  The AGM venue had been triple booked by among other things a disco for kids so we had to finish by 13.30.  This gave me seven hours to make the journey to The Stables that could have been acomplished in half the time.  On the plus side I now have a stash of Mrs Warrington's Welsh cakes.  At The Stables I met a former attempted girlfriend.  There is quite a story there but I've not had enough to drink.  Catch me in a weak moment!  I was very impressed by Maz O'Connor so that's three more CDs.  I also met Gus, who plays cello on Jack Carty's new CD and told me that the car is not the best place to listen to CDs!  I told him that I have no alternative and that he should have mixed the album to have the vocals further forward and the strings further back.  A firm handshake was the only possible outcome.

Jamie’s optimism the other day was a bit wide of the mark for the black dog slipped his leash on Friday afternoon.  Half an hour or so of unexplained weepiness soon passed and I was at home so it could have been much worse.  At least it wasn’t on the bus to Morrisons this time.  I say again: there are others in trouble a lot worse than me.

Today will be spent quietly.  There is sirloin steak to cook and eat and more catching up to do.  Continuing warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Simon, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Morning from another sunny one here in Surrey.

Shortly, we head off to take mum to meet with brother for breakfast near Stonehenge. Just hoping the event at Thruxton doesnt delay us too much.

Then its to a fellow Rmwebbers place to hand over his N scale Pendolino and give mins a test run.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a very sunny North West Leeds Highlands.

My match ended up as a 30 overs a side one. It went slowly but I got home at 8:20pm....a long day.

AndyP please take it easy.

Chrisf, I hope you can chain the dog up.

Positive thoughts to all Ers especially those that ail.

Looks like Tony and Aditi are having a good cruise.

Enjoy your day whatever you do and beware the awl.

Baz

• Like 17

Perhaps I should actually read the manual for my truck, but how much fun would that be? Yesterday I discovered I can tell it to play any album/track in my USB "jukebox" by voice command.

Me: Play slap and tickle

Truck: Playing track slap and tickle

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the southern uplands of Leeds.  We also have sun here so will say thanks for the well heeled denizens of the Northern Highlands for putting so many shillings in the meter. A quiet evening was had though I did manage to clear out the two drawers at my side of the bed.  In the process I discovered two miniatures of Glenmorangie.  Of course there was no date on these so they just had to be sampled.  I can confirm that the bottom of the contents was as good as the top. 

Church this morning then no doubt some packing will be done this afternoon before the evening communion service, which will be our last at our church.   Then off out with the kids, partners and  step dragon n law for an Italian meal which rather fittingly is on the site of a former LNWR BLT.  

Chrisf, I wish you fortitude in training that Canine.  Also warm thoughts towards all others in need.

Rick, if you had a cellar in your block of flats you cold threaten to but the lodger down there, with the other fine wines....

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunshine and blue skies here and it should stay that way with temperatures possibly climbing to 25oC.

Andy P, as others have said, take care of yourself.

Chris, as someone who has often let the dog out of the kennel I hope you can find a solution but I know how difficult it is.

No plans made yet for today apart from an intake of eggs, bacon and other goodies being needed, preferably within the hour but The OC Kitchen seems to be running late. It may be necessary to give her some words of advice!  :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18