The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey this morning but dry and forecast to stay that way. I was discussing with my friend going to the Chatham show today but as he had booked the roofer to recover a leaking flat roof today we had to drop the idea. The roof was re-felted only seven years ago so this time he's having it covered with some new material that I think is some sort of neoprene. I had my flat roof re-covered about 25 years ago with fibreglass, very expensive, about four times the cost of normal materials but as the roof is still watertight it was worth it. Unfortunately a fibreglass roof is beyond my friends means so he had to opt for the next best thing. I see the forum is carrying ads for diarrhoea treatment, is this Andy Y hinting that we suffer this of the verbal kind? Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Noon Peeps 

I've had a search through my album and finally found a photo of this big boy it's pulling train at G & WSR all next week 

worth the visit for a ride or two behind it alone.  

post-8647-0-65548000-1527944122_thumb.jpg

enjoy your day G.Ricer

Edited by 81C
  • Like 11

Good afternoon all and fantastic to see Debs back and posting. My best wishes to her.

No rain or thunder here as yet although the grey clouds are circling overhead. I am sure they will start to dispense their contents the moment I put the washing out!

Last night was a very enjoyable evening. Sarah and I went out for a meal. We enjoyed a very nice curry and much needed time together.

Sadly sleep remained at a premium and I struggled to drift off. Feel tired again so planning a bit of a lazy day. 

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Noon Peeps 

I've had a search through my album and finally found a photo of this big boy it's pulling train at G & WSR all next week 

worth the visit for a ride or two behind it alone.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0752.JPG

enjoy your day G.Ricer

An HH-60G just flew over the house.

Rather low and very fast.

I wonder where it's going?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon awl.

A sleepless night to start with and up early as mums flight from HK landed half hour early so out of the house at 06.15.

8 quid for an hour at Gatwick short stay!!

Back home for a while then took mum to see current progress on her bungalow, started her car for first time in a month as we had been told she had all the keys but turned out two pairs were in the garage. They arent any more. Her and our red car cleaned then to the bank in Redhill so she could move spare funds to a high interest option.

Then lunch in Wetherspoons  then a laugh at the departures board at the station whilst Mum renewed her railcard before getting bus home.

A bit of gardening now done but I could fall asleep now.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

This is what happens to unbelievers in the power of the Awl!

OK 81C, Now get out and walk!

Parachute-free-fall.jpg

'But I was told I'd be collected by a Pave Hawk not a Blackhawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....'

Oh dear how sad.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Dafternoon All

Well the cancelled llama call this morning resulted in me not waking until ...... 13.38 :O :o :O

Can't think when I have ever slept in for so long other than during poor health and recovery.  As SWMBO said I must have needed it.  Trouble is the day has been largely left in disarray and it is now well into the afternoon when the body-clock expects it to be lunch time!

Dragon-in-Law took herself out during the morning and returned an hour ago grumpy that there were so many people about (it's the Rugby Sevens at Twickers apart from anything - a full 82000 in attendance)  and that somehow it is my fault that Australian senior citizens and war-widow veterans don't get any free travel here.  To my mind why would they?  She is accustomed to what Australia offers Australians not what Britain offers Australians.  She also has issues with the speed at which SWMBO walks (slower than DiL which therefore holds her up, somehow), the cost of everything (which is just excessive in her view) and pretty much everything else she can find to moan about.  She still cannot make up her mind about where and when to go visit while based here.  I am hoping sh does so soon as my very generous allowance of patience is steadily running out.  SWMBO is already at the end of hers after just five days .....

Meanwhile it is a fine sunny and less humid day upon the Hill and this far very quiet hereabouts.  The rabble are of course out and a-drinking in Twickers which is heaving with rugby fans and awash with security and emergency services.  The partying upstairs seems to have resulted in extended hangovers as nothing has been heard nor seen of them yet today.  Ah well - we were all young once and I'm certainly no angel on that score.

I have been advised that a package is on its was from Camborne.  The contents do not need discussion here.  Let's just say it is brought to you by a number between 6 and 8 and preceded by a zero.  

Have the rest of a good day, my dear ER friends, and I shall endeavour to drop in during tomorrow while taking refuge from the Dragon's breath!

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning all. En route to the first of two nighties. Great to see you back, Debs - real bit of relief there after everything you’ve been through!

May be able to post again during my break across midnight. Here’s hoping nothing untoward happens!

Cheers, peeps... :bye:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Rick I was blessed with a very nice MiL although eventually she went rather dotty then full memory loss set in.  The period of dottiness however suggests something you might care to think about as on one occasion when she was staying with us I found a problem with the toaster and a knife with a strange hole in one side of the blade.  Although she never admitted it what she had done was shove the knife into the toaster to remove a jammed slice of bread - with the toaster still turned on - and the knife blade came into contact with the element of the toaster, fortunately the knife had a wooden handle.

So a potential tip for you (and maybe Bob 81C once he's managed to extract the awl) is to buy thick sliced bread and leave a metal handled knife near the toaster before the appropriate person decides to make herself some toast.  Could be quite entertaining and well worth the messing about to reset a circuit breaker, also a good idea to over fuse the toaster so the fuse in the plug doesn't blow too quickly. 

A good lunch was had in a local hostelry but subsequently an attempt by various of the household and visitors to purchase a cold drink in the River and Arguing Museum was a dismal failure - after waiting 30 minutes for their drinks to arrive they left in disgust.  I meanwhile had driven the Good Doctor's car back to base so didn't have a chance to vent my spleen at such a delay by spreading the condiments all over the table.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from the village that stubbornly refuses to move away from Ikea.   To Doncaster I have been.  The 6' long model boat hull has gone to it's new owner who turned out to be a rigger at Marham working on Tornados for 9 Squadron.  Dave Tanner (Supersonic) had been squashed up in the back with the said hull but wrote the flight manuals for the Tonka and led 9 Squadron in the Gulf.   It's a small world.   The Bring and Buy was busy and somehow or other a large box with Slaters and Compound on it has come back in my rucksack.   SWMBO does not yet know of this but at roughly half list price it would have been a crime to leave it on the table.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

A good day or fans of the BBC series based on the heroic exploits of West Midlands Ambulance service and a chance to see them up close and personal in action thanks to the adventures of cretininsis on the A449 (twice !) and M42 northbound junction 6 for NEC

I know it's the end of half term folks and the weather is hot and sticky but I've heard the refrain "Won't someone buy me a Mercedes Benz ?" a little too often.It's a car for heaven's sake,not a projectile.

So much for a nice peaceful Saturday at Ashwood Nursery in John Massey's beautiful garden.Three strikes in one day is far too many.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rick I was blessed with a very nice MiL although eventually she went rather dotty then full memory loss set in.  The period of dottiness however suggests something you might care to think about as on one occasion when she was staying with us I found a problem with the toaster and a knife with a strange hole in one side of the blade.  Although she never admitted it what she had done was shove the knife into the toaster to remove a jammed slice of bread - with the toaster still turned on - and the knife blade came into contact with the element of the toaster, fortunately the knife had a wooden handle.

So a potential tip for you (and maybe Bob 81C once he's managed to extract the awl) is to buy thick sliced bread and leave a metal handled knife near the toaster before the appropriate person decides to make herself some toast.  Could be quite entertaining and well worth the messing about to reset a circuit breaker, also a good idea to over fuse the toaster so the fuse in the plug doesn't blow too quickly. 

A good lunch was had in a local hostelry but subsequently an attempt by various of the household and visitors to purchase a cold drink in the River and Arguing Museum was a dismal failure - after waiting 30 minutes for their drinks to arrive they left in disgust.  I meanwhile had driven the Good Doctor's car back to base so didn't have a chance to vent my spleen at such a delay by spreading the condiments all over the table.

Mike is Awl a new name for p!ss ?. :mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Turned out to be quite sunny today once the overcast had burnt off. Just as well as I had a few self sown poppies last year in the front garden, I allowed them to go to seed and now there is a mass of them so I'm looking towards a massive display in a few weeks time.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each.

A very kernackered GDB here. Day has been spent firstly washing & hoovering car and I had to eject a squatter from it. I didn't bother with getting a court order but just sucked it and its house (web) up in the hoover. Then we visited the garden centre and bought some tomato plants and other stuff and planted them. Much weeding and pruning was also done, Mad Dogs & Englishmen including me go out in the midday sun. At least this time I remembered to wear a hat. After all that I needed a long cool shower and then some beers. Might have some more shortly.

I also note that I and we (ERs that is) have been a bit remiss as  I believe one of our friends has had a birthday today and I don't think any greetings have been forthcoming.

So....... HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEIL (BR) and many more of them!  :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Whoopee! The Boss is watching some soap award carp on the box. My suggestion of Wright's Coal Tar for best soap was not appreciated.  :no:

The good news is that I've just spotted that South Africa v Wales is being televised on Channel 4 with a 22.00 ko. That's my viewing sorted for later!  :imsohappy:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Good wishes to those in need of support, and congrats to my namesake on completing another orbit.  The black rats here are busy this week.....

The TT is providing its usual incredibly low lows, and incredibly high highs.  Haven't looked at the TV coverage yet, friends say the new company doing it is.....pants.

I got my orthotics for the frankenfoot this week, taking some getting used to as they are to re-educate some foot muscles that have been dormant forever, and to ignore some others I no longer need due to the re-modelling of my foot's 'architecture'...….allegedly.  I just know it's on the hurty side of uncomfortable, but easing.

• Like 1

We have our almost-two-year-old grandson staying with us for the first time in a while. (He lives 400 miles away.) This morning, he had lined up some toy figures, and they toppled. He said (not modified for or by the profanity filter) "Effing fell over!" We thought we were going to have words with our son. It was only after he had used the same word a few more times in different situations that we realised it's the way he currently pronounces 'everything'!

Edited by pH
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The good news is that I've just spotted that South Africa v Wales is being televised on Channel 4 with a 22.00 ko. That's my viewing sorted for later!  :imsohappy:

I am minded of the 'Southern gentleman' from the USA whom was visiting Edinburgh, when Scotland were playing Wales.

Espying some girls trying to get a drink at the bar he walked over and asked:

'Can I get you Scottish ladies a drink?'

In return for his gentlemanly conduct, all he received was some nasty glares and 'Wales, Wales!' chanted at him.

Anxious to correct his faux pas, he asked again:

'I'm terribly sorry, would either of you Whales like a drink?'

Welcome back Debs

I spent the day with younger Lurker while Mrs Lurker was living it up in town with her Mum and sister. We chose to go to Cuckmere Haven and the Seven Sisters country Park. A shame it was misty so no views but we walked up and down the equivalent of more than 120 flights of stairs according to my phone ; consequently my feet are tired and I am enjoying a nice chilled Syrah rose in the garden. No trains were viewed though I did spot some rolling stock when we drove under the Spa Valley on our way home

• Like 16