The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I still think it likely (if he survives his current brush with COVID-19) that he will pass directly to William.

That would be smart.  The Cambridges are very popular being more in line with the general and future population whereas Charles is regarded as of the previous generation, after all he is over seventy!   On top of that, they have the future King waiting.

While HMTQ has done a tremendous job over the years, obviously she is already twenty years past her retirement age.  Most people would be happy to spend such a time in retirement doing half as much as she has.  

The world needs young leaders so what does that hold for the US whose current president  is over seventy and his hopeful successors are half way to eighty.:(

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Agree 12

Like others here, I joined in the Clap.  Even in our lane, it was pretty audible, especially with someone letting off fireworks and another playing a bugle.  I joined in not only clapping, but joined in the “music” by blowing the whistle that I use in guarding on the Ratty.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

£1.09 in Hereford on Monday. And I read somewhere (here?) of 99p a litre at a supermarket.

There are predictions that it may reach 2003 prices - so as low as 80p/litre or so.

Cue stockpiling and resultant risks...........................

• Like 7
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BoD said:

For future reference Chris, most hotels will beat booking websites’ price if you phone them directly.  They don’t then have to pay the commission to the intermediary web site.

Morning all 

Stay safe and well.

Very true!

The hotels aren't allowed to show lower prices than those quoted by the OTA (on-line travel agent), but most will happily do so over the phone.

Mrs NB hates OTAs as their commission is so high, but it's a necessary evil. They virtually always stress to departing residents that are considering returning to "book direct" (that's the slogan of the brand name group that they are in)

It's a bit like going direct to an ebay supplierwho has a ebay shop - their normal website prices are often cheaper and some deals can be had.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

The Royal Mail have decided that to be arequired and necessary postal item it must go first class. BUT they are still delivering food shop list and other advertising carp. A fast buck being made here..but if it stops the virus liveable with.

Just posted some stuff today 2nd - no questions asked. 

I used the walk to the local Spar/PO as my daily exercise and small foodshop for a few necessities.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

We'll see what happens after the churches across the US are full on Easter Sunday.

This? (Warning - graphic gratuitous violence)

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Some years ago I built a clock from a lazer cut kit but it never worked. This morning I had an extended poking session with the thing with the result that it now works.

Night awl

A good escapement.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As much as I think we humans underestimate the intelligence and possibly consciousness of our mammalian relatives, when it comes to sheep, not so much.

Judging by the roadkill I see on my commute, pheasants are the avian equivalent.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

Apparently I timed my run to the supermarket during today's White House press conference. Darn. I missed it.

Some little thing changes from "normal" every day. Plexiglass shields have been installed between customers and supermarket checkout till operators.

Back on January 1, Oregon banned single use plastic bags. Customers were encouraged to bring reusable bags, otherwise they would be charged a nominal amount for a traditional paper sack - a change to which I have finally adapted. Now the checkers (till operators) are forbidden to touch customers' reusable bags, (which is a reasonable precaution, but yet another change) and customers are required to bag their own groceries (slowing the process down) unless they purchase the paper bags, which the checkers may fill.

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Simon G said:

We had the additional bonus of the International Space Station clearly visible over Cumbria at 8.20pm this evening.  Radio Cumbria were broadcasting and describing where to see it.  It was visible first near to Venus, then got brighter as it past Orion, then gradually faded as it went south-east.

We saw the ISS last night but Venus and the moon were not in quite the same positions.  

• Like 19