kevpeo

• 1 month later...

Happy x-mas to me!

post-8271-0-20772700-1450348880_thumb.jpg

You knew I wouldn't be able to resist, right? First the negatives, mine ran like a bag of s**t! This turned out to be the pick-ups not being set up correctly, and nobody else seems to have had any problems, so I must have just got a Friday afternoon assembled one!  And that’s about it really. The Rad grills are not 100% correct, but I can live with that until EE do a better one and the glazing is far better in the flesh than early photo's suggested. The NEM pocket also drooped a little, so needed some packing to keep the KD at the right height.  The sounds? Awesome!!!!!  I'm still finding things that it does. By far the best sound project I've had my hands on so far ( Jealous, me, never!)

To become 24 073 after a few 'Glasgow mods' and can work on Parrot Hall too.  Merry Christmas all. Kev.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I like these on it Marcus -

post-8271-0-03461200-1451833842_thumb.jpg

With work on Parrot Hall ground to a halt (again!) due to lack of Wills stone sheets, attention has again turned to Loch Dour. 37 191 has gained a set of correct EE windscreens, the PH Harvey ones were later high impact frames really, and I was never able to glaze them successfully! I’m now pondering whose sound to go for. With the relatively poor motor, a Zimo might be the better option. If Paul Chetter did a 37 version of the SLW 24 program the decision would be made!

Speaking of which, 24 073 has had the middle marker lights removed and filled, and is now ready for the fitting of Glasgow works centrally mounted ones. Happy New Year all. Kev.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

37 191 has re-entered traffic, and continues to amaze me with what it can pull!

post-8271-0-47956300-1452885128_thumb.jpg

Now fitted with a Zimo 645, loaded with a Digitrains/Paul Chetter program. This has cured the emergency stop and max speed problems but not the slow speed 'hunting' which I think is probably the mech, my Limby 101 displays similar tendencies! 24 073 has been into the garage for the first stage of weathering with the airbrush. When this is dried fully I will re-assemble it and do some smaller brushwork to finish it off. Kev.

• Like 6

And here she is -

post-8271-0-67026900-1453115564_thumb.jpg

Idling away on a ballast job, which is the train she will be seen on most likely!  Mods include moving the discs to the middle of the ex-connecting doors, al-la Glasgow works and fabricating a 'temporary' water tank, until SLW release some spares plus straightening and fixing into place the bogie pipe work, and removing half of the small access hatch, as per the photo I was working to.  And it still puts a smile on my face every time I 'start' the engine!  Roll on Kendal show so I can give her a good run. Kev.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

My 'top thrash' 37 at the moment meanach is Bif's "West Highland' one. Although Digitrains and Coastal DCC are both marketing a 'West Highland' one by Tony Molyneux which sounds very good on the video's. Both on LS v4. Kev.

• 1 month later...

One of the strangest, if not the strangest loco to grace Loch Dour's rails.   ''Fluff''

post-8271-0-43241000-1459077321_thumb.jpg

I was asked to build this by a friend who's daughter got married yesterday,(congrats again Siobhan and Paul!) The ‘prototype’ is a 5’’gauge petrol mechanical, once owned by her late grandfather and regretfully sold on. The bride and groom knew nothing of it until it appeared by the cake! And the other end with controls –

post-8271-0-31607100-1459077338_thumb.jpg

I dont think they expected this much detail.  And it runs!  I did sort out a couple of dodgy spots on the paintwork after taking the pictures, as they highlighted a couple of 'issues'  Kev.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Hello all, remember me?

No. I'm not surprised, cos I've done and posted bog-all on this thread since March last Year!

Loch Dour is still run two or three times a week, so it still serves its purpose admirably, but not much has actually been 'done' to the layout in a while. But while running the layout over Christmas, thoughts turned to the fiddle yard extension. This is added to the layout during assembly from behind, but at home the layout is up against the wall, so no access from behind!  But where there is a will and all that I figured out a way with boxes instead of legs and behold –

post-8271-0-52055100-1484238917_thumb.jpg

This means I can now run five trains in each direction at home, and a lot of them are longer as they are at shows. The picture shows my entire 70’s stock on the layout, and there is still room for more!  My fellow operators stock not being present of course. The sheet to the left lists the functions allocated to the F-keys, these all having been (mostly!) standardised.

27 032 is currently being fitted with a Digitrains Zimo decoder and big speaker to be followed by 26 010 from the 80’s fleet when the period will change to 80’s mode. Oh and I now have in my possession a Zimo MXULFA programmer to master!  

Happy new year all.  Kev.

• Like 3