Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Hi Steve

Intriguing - are there phots anywhere?

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil

I will have to see if I can find any - My old Minitrix 47 had a full respray in 2 tone green FYE and the data panels off the Fox sheet had a black background.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

Always difficult to be sure but those look blue on my monitor - but darker than rail blue

We have done D6331 GFYE with a blue panel so I hope that's right!!!!!!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve and Phil

The data panels look blue to me as well. From my trainspotting days I cannot recall seeing any other colour than blue data panels. They were a sticker that was common to all members of the class irrespective of the loco colour.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Clive

Most model transfer manufacturers TOPs panels are clear so allow the base colour to appear through - but Traintec (no connection other than a happy customer!) do ones which are on a blue background - very useful!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Can see my childhood home in that photo!

I prob should know this but I don't... I'm assuming this is eastfield and it looks like the depot in background is being rebuilt / re roofed. How extensive was the rebuild. The later depot that I knew to early 90s didn't look like a steam depot but didn't exactly look modern purpose built. Was it case of re clad of old steam depot in corrugated or was it a complete rebuild?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress based on the Fred Phipps gauge 1 model:

Edit original thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86065-any-questions-quiz-the-Dapol-team/?p=1458762

Good morning davknigh,

You will be pleased to know the class 21/29 locomotives are in design stage. Fred Phipps has provided us with a complete body built to gauge one standards together with bogies and underframe details, quite exquisite. Once we have completed drawings we will post here for your viewing.

Thank you for your interest in these important north of the border locomotives.

Cheers,

Richard

Although I'm not a member there any more, look at post 1 on this modellers united thread over a year ago.

http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/Dapol-21-29-t78.html

This is very good news - the Fred Phipps model is stunning.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

The data panels were definitely blue, they were intoruduced in '68 at a time when all new transfers, vinyls and signage had the new 'corporate' typeface, whether in upper or lower case. They do turn up for sale now and again, a few years ago a data panel for a Western came up for auction on ebay which I was outbid on, I kept the photo from the listing but as it has an ebay copyright logo sadly I can't post it here! These early panels didn't have the sectioned off bit at the top which the later 1973 version had (and still has today).

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! (I hope) I found an e-mail from Hatton's in my in-box today letting me know that, and I quote:

"Dapol 4D-014-003 Class 29 diesel locomotive D6123 in BR green with small yellow warning panel £104.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us December 2014

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only."

So, light at the end of the tunnel? :danced:

Cheers,

David

Edited for punctuation

Edited by davknigh
  • Like 1

Good news! (I hope) I found an e-mail from Hatton's in my in-box today letting me know that, and I quote:

"Dapol 4D-014-003 Class 29 diesel locomotive D6123 in BR green with small yellow warning panel £104.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us December 2014

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only."

Cheers,

David

Edited for punctuation

In this case surely the 'oncoming train' is the prefered option!

Cheers,

David

Edited for punctuation

Its good to see some sort of date put on this release, however 6 months to produce the CADs, engineering samples, decoration samples then production seems very optimistic to me. I would of estimated at least a year away. Fingers crossed though. Edited by spackz

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard any progress on these, last we heard was in June and that they were following the Class 73 in the production run, surely the CADs have been completed. Cant believe it was Nov 2010 that Dapol announced these, coming up 4 years and nothing yet.

Edited by spackz

The data panels were definitely blue, they were intoruduced in '68 at a time when all new transfers, vinyls and signage had the new 'corporate' typeface, whether in upper or lower case. They do turn up for sale now and again, a few years ago a data panel for a Western came up for auction on ebay which I was outbid on, I kept the photo from the listing but as it has an ebay copyright logo sadly I can't post it here! These early panels didn't have the sectioned off bit at the top which the later 1973 version had (and still has today).

The data panels were blue, with the various details added with numbers which were mounted on a clear film. The very early ones had a tendency to fade or get white areas on them.

Precision labels do a very good rendition of all the styles.

• 2 months later...

Just on the off chance had a look at Dapols website, the class 21/29 is shown as final cad and due 3rd quarter 2015. It in the product development area, the cad is of the class 21 variant with disc headcodes. Some physical progress at last.

• Like 1