Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

As a neutral, a most enjoyable match to watch. Liverpool’s goal was a great bit of skill from Firmino and Salah took it well. The penalty/free kick/goal/offside/goal was bizarre and then Alison seemed to have lost the plot again. After that the Red Sea just parted......:-)

Brendan Rogers really is doing a great job in building a team which just ooze confidence.

No idea which Spurs sides will turn up in 45 minutes. Just hoping it’s not eleven defenders for 90 minutes and a policy of keep them out at all costs with zero at the other end, even with Kane and Son.....

Let us pray........:-)

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, andyram said:

The wheels have definitely come off!

They might get them fitted again in time to win the European Cup, again. Didn't they do it before when Everton finished above them in the league.;)

Just now, gwrrob said:

They might get them fitted again in time to win the European Cup, again. Didn't they do it before when Everton finished above them in the league.;)

Well they can't win anything else this season. It is a shame actually, because I do love the way Klopp has them playing and he is such a likeable manager. I do hope he can turn it around. Good to see Everton doing so well too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I bet Klopp is running out of volunteers to play center of defence as it's a surefire way to guarantee a serious injury! The position is definitely jinxed.

Is strange that he had a new £2 million centre back on the bench, but put a youngster on instead. I wonder if Ben Davies wishes he stayed at Preston.

You think Liverpool have problems....

I have no idea what Spurs are up to right now. Wish I was facing a multi million pay off. I’m sure it will soften the blow, but I doubt Levy will let The Special One go.....

At least Bale eventually got a chance and did well. Even Kane and Son gave a fraction of what they are capable of......

Edited by gordon s

15 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I have no idea what Spurs are up to right now. Wish I was facing a multi million pay off. I’m sure it will soften the blow, but I doubt Levy will let The Special One go.....

At least Bale eventually got a chance and did well. Even Kane and Son gave a fraction of what they are capable of......

Spurs have huge problems.  With a squad that includes the attacking quality and creativity of Son, Ali, Bale and Kane should be making huge inroads into the top four. It appears that Mourinho has fallen out with two of the quartet and the team seems to be devoid of confidence and motivation. I feel Jose's days have got to be numbered.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

I think the problems are deeper that Jose, there's about four or five players that just aren't good enough. I think the thing that's damaged the team the most is those missed transfer windows, the squad was never refreshed. Hope now he starts Bale more,  a least in the second half we played better than we have for a while. If one of those chances went in it would look a bit different, not a lot though! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of footy history , nice that the railway see the significance. 

Came up to London this morning on this unit. Remember seeing him play for Hereford and Merthyr against Worcester City. Ivor Allchurch was at Worcester, back in the days when there was an English pyramid and stars  finished their careers by putting something back in to the game...

4864181F-746A-461A-888B-615D8180CF17.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

I never saw John Charles play but his nephew Jeremy Charles played for my club, Oxford United, and scored one of the goals in our 1986 League Cup win at Wembley, a game I was lucky enough to attend. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I didn’t realise Arsenal played their home leg tonight in Greece.

Any reason for them not playing at The Emirates as Spurs played at home at White Hart Lane the night before.

The other team can't come into the country due to Portugal being on this list.

Even though they would have all been tested apparently they would have had to quarantine for ten days.

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 15:54, gordon s said:

You think you've got problems, try being a Blade!

22 injuries to first team squad players both long and short term, and unlike other clubs, we're not awash with money to buy players to strengthen/replace.

Mike.

As we all know Brighton couldn't hit a barn door although not through lack of trying. They've even just managed to miss the barn door from the penalty spot but when they fluke it and actually get one on target they then have to participate in one of the most farcial VAR episodes yet.

Free kick outside the box, ref blows his whistle and the kick is quickly taken and it hits the back of the net. However Mr Mason decides after blowing the whistle that he shouldn't have so blows again when the ball is on route and disallows the goal. It's then pointed out he did blow his whistle to indicate the kick could be taken so he allows the goal only for VAR to then want to see exactly where the ball was on the second whistle. It hadn't quite crossed the line even though the goalie was routed to the spot so disallowed. Total shambles and no idea if the right decision was reached or not :crazy:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Free kick outside the box, ref blows his whistle and the kick is quickly taken and it hits the back of the net. However Mr Mason decides after blowing the whistle that he shouldn't have so blows again when the ball is on route and disallows the goal. It's then pointed out he did blow his whistle to indicate the kick could be taken so he allows the goal only for VAR to then want to see exactly where the ball was on the second whistle. It hadn't quite crossed the line even though the goalie was routed to the spot so disallowed. Total shambles and no idea if the right decision was reached or not :crazy:

I thought a free kick could be taken at any time after the whistle had originally been blown to stop the play, unless the ref had specifically told players to wait for a restarting whistle. 

I remember (you’ll see from the players’ names, it was a long time ago) where a penalty was scored like that. The goalkeeper (Gordon Banks) strongly protested the award of the penalty, following the ref out to the edge of the box to do so. Eventually, he turned round to walk back to the goal line. Once he had passed the penalty spot, Jimmy Greaves put the ball on the spot and rolled it past Banks into the net. The referee gave the goal. (I think Greaves admitted that it had been meant as a joke.)

(Edit - I’ve just found another version of this, saying Banks had his back to Greaves, but was cleaning mud off his hands on the grass inside the net.)

Edited by pH

3 minutes ago, pH said:

I thought a free kick could be taken at any time after the whistle had originally been blown to stop the play, unless the ref had specifically told players to wait for a restarting whistle. 

Indeed that is the rule. Mason blew  the restarting whistle so Dunk shot and scored but for some unknown reason Mason then blew his whistle again, disallowed it, got a message in his ear and allowed it then VAR disallowed it and the free kick was retaken. I'm not sure Mason even knows what really happened.

17 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Indeed that is the rule. Mason blew  the restarting whistle so Dunk shot and scored but for some unknown reason Mason then blew his whistle again, disallowed it, got a message in his ear and allowed it then VAR disallowed it and the free kick was retaken. I'm not sure Mason even knows what really happened.

Something going on in the West Brom wall, I think; if you miss two penalties, you can't really complain

Having watched the West Brom v Brighton game I have to say the free kick issue was such a farce I actually thought Stuart Attwell must have been refereeing. A ridiculous situation and, in my opinion, the wrong decision was reached. However, to fail from the spot twice is also criminal. If the keeper had saved them you could have some sympathy. 

19 hours ago, pH said:

I remember (you’ll see from the players’ names, it was a long time ago) where a penalty was scored like that. The goalkeeper (Gordon Banks) strongly protested the award of the penalty, following the ref out to the edge of the box to do so. Eventually, he turned round to walk back to the goal line. Once he had passed the penalty spot, Jimmy Greaves put the ball on the spot and rolled it past Banks into the net. The referee gave the goal. (I think Greaves admitted that it had been meant as a joke.)

(Edit - I’ve just found another version of this, saying Banks had his back to Greaves, but was cleaning mud off his hands on the grass inside the net.)

According to the sports news last night, Mason disallowed the goal because "The keeper wasn't ready". What? It is the keeper's job to be ready at all times isn't it? That was a smart bit of play by Dunk and the goal should have been allowed. This has certainly been a season of controversial refereeing.

• Agree 2

Good grief, Arsenal beat Leicester and Spurs 3-0 up against Burnley in 30 minutes....Meanwhile Pep’s boys are in a class of their own. 

Apparently Tottenham are looking at Nick Pope for the summer. He’ll be good at picking the ball out of the net.....:-)

Edited by gordon s