Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

19 hours ago, peanuts said:

proper football never finished cracking game on the telly sunday afternoon oldham athletic 3 - 2 torquay united but its not the greedy league so doesent count for far to many 

enjoy some cracking goals  

Ah! Oldham Athletic, the team that pushed for the Premier League and even resigned from the Football League to force it through!

Some have short memories.

Fun fact. None of the traditional Big Five* wanted the PL. We wanted what was called the Super League, still part of the FL but fewer clubs to get in line with the European leagues, to be shown on ITV. It was the smaller clubs that wanted it on BSB so they got more money. Some even wanted all the games to be shown on a Pay Per View basis.

*Liverpool, Everton, United, Arsenal and Spurs

• Like 1

20 hours ago, peanuts said:

proper football never finished cracking game on the telly sunday afternoon oldham athletic 3 - 2 torquay united but its not the greedy league so doesent count for far to many 

enjoy some cracking goals  

I just watched the highlights through, and noticed the caption top left showed OLD v YEO (who play in green). Though it was clearly the 'chip nickers' (Torquay) who ended up losing the basement battle.

I also watch lower league football, Exeter City currently enjoying a rare spell in League 1, or my local team Weston-super-Mare currently top of Southern League Premier South 

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This trend of clubs being bought by foreign owners is worrying  - another one now gone. Even worse, given the record of franchise owners in the States shifting club locations on a whim, is the threat of even more MK Dons style ground jumps given this one like Wrexham's is from the USA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63957509

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Foreign owner worst thing that ever happened to West Brom. Investment? Cash has flowed in the opposite direction and until recently looked like the club was going the same way. 

But a new manager has transformed fortunes on the pitch … four wins in a row! Great stuff , come on you Baggies. Rotherham on Saturday…. Boing boing! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john new said:

This trend of clubs being bought by foreign owners is worrying  - another one now gone. Even worse, given the record of franchise owners in the States shifting club locations on a whim, is the threat of even more MK Dons style ground jumps given this one like Wrexham's is from the USA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63957509

F.A. have changed the rules to stop that happening again 

• Informative/Useful 2

Rocker Shovel wrote:  "You obviously realise that football and rugby are different games." 

But some of the holding looks like a cross between rugby and ballroom dancing.  When is holding a foul and when is it not a foul?  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 4901 said:

Rocker Shovel wrote:  "You obviously realise that football and rugby are different games." 

But some of the holding looks like a cross between rugby and ballroom dancing.  When is holding a foul and when is it not a foul?  

A bit like Argentina’s “penalty” Messi? goes in feet up towards the goalie, slams his hip into the goalies groin and then goes flat on his face. They both fouled each other, outside the area my guess is either play on as 50:50 or book booth.  Messie gets away with his foul because the ref gave it as a pen.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

Who? Orient? We're on top of League 2 with the best performance thus far of any team in the top four tiers. But: the lower levels are where the real football is at, yeah.

Oldham and Torquay! Agree with you there

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

Who? Orient? We're on top of League 2 with the best performance thus far of any team in the top four tiers. But: the lower levels are where the real football is at, yeah.

Not proper football unless you're leaning on the barrier in the stands, with a bit of a hangover.

Well at least that was my typical Saturday afternoon a few years ago, when I regularly went to Carlisle United games.

• Like 2

What's with this "it's not proper football if it's in the EPL/Internationals, etc., etc."?! It is just as much proper football as any of the Sunday leagues are. I was chatting to a chap in my local the other night who wouldn't even accept that your beloved Oldham and Orient is proper football, as far as he was concerned not even my local team, the Harriers were. He would only accept Stourport Swifts and below!! Just because the top teams have lots of money doesn't mean it's not proper football, in fact I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the skill levels shown in the EPL and the World Cup, a level I could never to aspire to in my younger days (I was useless!)!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Have to agree. I pop down to watch my local team. Eastbourne Borough, in the National League South. I suppose they play proper football if proper football is hoof it upfield at every opportunity in the vague hope the striker may be able to reach it. If not the opposition will then hoof it back down the other end whilst the midfielders stand around chatting. 

When much younger I played up front for the mighty Icklesham Casuals in the East Sussex premier league. I was the clubs top scorer for 5 years on the trot but never scored once with my head. The reason? No one had the ability to put a decent cross into the box but it was 'proper' football.

I guess the same people will argue proper beer is only proper beer if it was brewed within 5 miles in a shed, has bits floating in it and maybe cause blindness😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

I guess the same people will argue proper beer is only proper beer if it was brewed within 5 miles in a shed, has bits floating in it and maybe cause blindness😉

Yes, and?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

There's football and then there's football. Real football is when I'm on the pitch. But that's just a kickabout, not real football. Real football is your most local side. But that's not important if your heart's not in it. I guess that's what it comes down to, where your heart is.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2022 at 18:38, john new said:

A bit like Argentina’s “penalty” Messi? goes in feet up towards the goalie, slams his hip into the goalies groin and then goes flat on his face. They both fouled each other, outside the area my guess is either play on as 50:50 or book booth.  Messie gets away with his foul because the ref gave it as a pen.

The player was Alvarez, he scored both goals in open play. The "penalty" was taken by Messi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

I sincerely hope this is fake news but anything is possible 🙁

Nope, not fake:

"Nasr Azadani was arrested in November 2022 during the Mahsa Amini protests in connection with the deaths of a police colonel and two volunteer militia members. He was accused of "waging war against God" and sentenced to death"

Though whether a petition in the West will do anything at all to help him is being a bit optimistic, they'll do what they want, regardless. Makes you realise how lucky we are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

22 hours ago, Hobby said:

Nope, not fake:

"Nasr Azadani was arrested in November 2022 during the Mahsa Amini protests in connection with the deaths of a police colonel and two volunteer militia members. He was accused of "waging war against God" and sentenced to death"

Though whether a petition in the West will do anything at all to help him is being a bit optimistic, they'll do what they want, regardless. Makes you realise how lucky we are.

for now 

• Agree 2