The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Sorry to see Southampton relegated,I expect they'll lose a few of their squad.

Saw some stats on MOTD showing the players they've signed in recent transfer windows,many of whom have not made one first-team appearance as yet,what's the point of that? Not as if Saint's defence has been exemplary all season...

Doesn't seem a good decision now to have sacked Ralph H,not clear if Selles will stay as manager or will the club try to entice a "bigger name"....

Still,I won't have far to go to see QPR at St. Mary's next season,every cloud and all that....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Blackpool played Bradford in Division 4 playoffs winning 2 - 0 away then losing 0 - 3 at home, but the interesting fact is that manager Sam Allardyce was sacked in a phone call from club owner Owen Oyston, who was in prison at the time. Probably the only manager to sacked in a phone call from prison. 

The name Oyston was once well known in Blackpool. The family made their money as estate agents but the business tanked when he went down for rape.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Sorry to see Southampton relegated,I expect they'll lose a few of their squad........

They've struggled for a few seasons, but the decline really set in last season.

This season has been an unmitigated disaster and it's been clear they were heading for relegation, since the World Cup break.

I can't see them bouncing straight back up, as some clubs do.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly left field, but congratulations to Central Coast Mariners for getting to the league final after a second leg 2-0 win, 4-1 on aggregate.

A tremendous achievement for the most underfunded club in the league, but then they have a head coach who doesn't know when the odds are against him, well done Monty and the boys.

Mike.

• Like 2

Yes, good result, but, as a City fan, I can tell you that you'll soon be getting the "tainted oil money" knockers along  to knock your achievements, usually from "supporters" of the big four teams (and certain "big" European clubs) who are getting knocked off their perches since you and us and some other teams got some money to compete on the same terms as they have for the past few decades! Then you'll be "investigated" to see if they can get you on any "rule breaking", the principle being that it's OK to spend oodles of cash as long as you are part of their clique... 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Well that's that then, the Leicester City "Fairy Tale" comes to a grim ending as some fairy tales do.

I'm not surprised as we were almost inevitably "Brendoomed" from around February last year, when Rodgers first started mouthing off about needing 5 or 6 new players and dissing about a third of first team squad, without bothering to check if there was sufficient funding available to change things that drastically.

Rodger's sulkiness resulted  in the total demotivation the squad pre-season and resulted a truly dismal start to the season. The club never really recovered from that, apart from a mini-run of good results pre-World Cup, which with hindsight were against teams which were in an even worse state than us at the particular stage of the season - West Ham, Everton, Wolves and Nottm. Forest - they all got better as the season progressed, whereas Leicester flatlined and couldn't keep a clean sheet and deserved to be relegated.

I'd have still  bitten your hand off in advance, if I'd been told you are only getting nine seasons in the top flight, but you will win the Premiership, the F.A. Cup, the Charity Shield, get to the last eight of the Champions League, have two successive 5th place finishes missing out on Champions League on the last day of season both times, play in the other two European competitions and reach a semi-final in one of them and perform a great escape in our first season back in top flight.

On the down side I think we are only side in the Premier League era to be immediately relegated after five successive top half finishes.

We have also managed to draw level with Birmingham City as the only sides to have been relegated 12 times from the top flight. Leicester have always been "yo-yo" team after all.

Bring on Rotherham, Huddersfield and Millwall - I've no idea what's going to happen or what the team will look like after it's been decimated in the summer.

Edited by cary hill
omission
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

@cary hill well I wish yous all the best next season. I'll always have a soft spot for Leicester, as in secondary school the only person who treated me like an actual human being was the custodian - he was from there and was an LFC supporter, always gave me his back issues of Shoot... I thought of him first when yous won the league.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, cary hill said:

Bring on Rotherham, Huddersfield and Millwall - I've no idea what's going to happen or what the team will look like after it's been decimated in the summer.

Not forgetting the M69 derby @cary hill

• Like 2

On Monday afternoon my team Sheffield Wednesday dramatically won the League One Play-Off Final 1-0 v Barnsley, as Josh Windass became an instant hero scoring the winning goal (Something that his father Dean Windass also did, but for Hull City in another Play-Off Final back in 2008) a diving header in the last few seconds of the last minute of Extra Time at Wembley. Cue wild celebrations from thousands and thousands of mad Wednesdayites both watching in North-West London and on TV back at home in Chesterfield (I couldn't get to the match because I was assigned to work a very busy Bank Holiday shift at B&Q - but negotiations with my boss let me leave work early to watch the match at home) with me and my Dad jumping around the front room like absolute loons!

We're All Wednesday Aren't We?

Sam 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, sammyboy said:

On Monday afternoon my team Sheffield Wednesday dramatically won the League One Play-Off Final 1-0 v Barnsley, as Josh Windass became an instant hero scoring the winning goal (Something that his father Dean Windass also did, but for Hull City in another Play-Off Final back in 2008) a diving header in the last few seconds of the last minute of Extra Time at Wembley. Cue wild celebrations from thousands and thousands of mad Wednesdayites both watching in North-West London and on TV back at home in Chesterfield (I couldn't get to the match because I was assigned to work a very busy Bank Holiday shift at B&Q - but negotiations with my boss let me leave work early to watch the match at home) with me and my Dad jumping around the front room like absolute loons!

We're All Wednesday Aren't We?

Sam 

NO.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good one for Carlisle last weekend, back in League One (unfortunately at the expense of Stockport County, the team I would've been most happy to go up if Carlisle had failed to).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, peanuts said:

My neighbour bought a new big screen tv just to watch premier league next season cant get it to work search all the packaging theres no leeds 😁

Look 5 posts above yours!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes it was. He put his hand where the ball was going and touched it. Clear penalty.

Anyway

spacer.png

What happened to supporting English teams in Europe.

• Round of applause 3

3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

What happened to supporting English teams in Europe.

I never support my rivals* and certainly don't support England.

*Do other Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. fans want Man City's name on the trophy? Or them winning trebles?

I certainly don't. Bad enough they won today, which was like being between a rock and a hard place.

I don't see Inter as a rival. Just an Italian team.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to ex Blade Nick Montgomery and his Central Coast Mariners for winning the league play off final, by 6-1 at that, the largest margin ever.

Not bad for an unfashionable team with the lowest budget who got the wooden spoon 2 seasons ago and then appointed Nick as head coach from within.

It's not always money or popularity that wins things.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1