Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Larry

I have just checked and I have one of these in my "To build" pile .... when it gets built ( and I mean when) it won't be anywhere near as good as the one you have just built - they are different and I can't see them being provided by the RTR or cut and shut teams for a while (if ever)

Barry O

• 2 weeks later...

Larry, I am going to ask a very naive question. If you have covered it before then I apologise.

When having to paint droplights that are a different colour than the main bodywork, can you offer any advice on the best way of getting a neat finish. I am assuming in this instance that the droplights are already fixed in place. Presumably using cellulose as the main coach colour helps.

Thanks.

Larry,

I'm intrigued by the large lavatory windows on these Period II coaches. It's not quite so evident in that last photo, but on some of the others, the window, or at least the frosting, seems to be in three vertical panels? How were they arranged?

Whatever, they are an exceptionally attractive design, probably my favourite.

• 1 month later...

An update on the LMS presige D1719 semi-open first's.............I have just completed one in BR blood & custard livery for a change. This livery on such obscure coaches brings back memories of similar vehicles lined up in sidings either awaiting withdrawal or the call of summer duty when the search was on for anything that would carry people. It is doubtful the limited-seating first class coaches would see excursion use however, hence their appearance in sidings and early withdrawal...

attachicon.gifWEB D1719 6.jpg

I decided to etch the characteristic beading below the waist for a change. These models also break my etched-in droplight rule as it is impossible on Period II coaches with raised panelling.....

attachicon.gifWEB D1719 5.jpg

A bit cheeky, this one Coach! Could you run through your cleaning and painting proceedure for brass coaches. It's obviously been refined over the years and as you have built more coaches than anyone else on the planet must be better than mine!!

• 5 weeks later...

Your history is a bit off....

These 12- wheeler were built as motor drivers and were originally powered by class 12AT 2-40Ts, using a wire control system. As the locos were withdrawn the p&p services fell out of use. In the early thirties they were fitted with vacuum control gear, and were powered by F1 2-4-2Ts and later C13s and N5s.

In 1935 one set was in Manchester used on the Glossop-Dinting and the Guide Bridge-Oldham shuttles with one of the ex-railmotor sets; one was at Aylesbury working to Verney Junction, Quainton Road and High Wycombe;  the other at Woodford and worked to Banbury and Byfield. By 1945 they were reduce to working just the two Manchester shuttles and by 1954 when the Glossop branch was electrified only the Guide Bridge-Oldham was left. As the push and pull workings were withdrawn from the GC the sets were transferred to the NER area and these 12 wheelers are known to have worked on the Ilkley branch and Selby-Goole.

This looks good. There's a couple of things about the underframe, though.

First it had a prominent single queen post and the v hangers were close to the centre as in this photo of another GC 60' coach:

post-1730-0-45876500-1399148600_thumb.jpg

Also the Davenport photo shows that the driver trailer had what appear to be gas tanks as well as battery boxes, though I don't understand why. Any information about what was under the solebars would be gratefully received. 

Wonderful work Larry - I remember years ago a group of us had a layout based on the GC Mansfield line. One of the guys turned up with a 12 wheeler 'GC push pull coach' We were most impressed, until on closer examination we found the model was a cut up GW autocoach! Well, I suppose it had the right number of wheels, that was about the most accurate feature really..

Best Regards

Tony

Hi,

The shops called 'The Works' have re-vamped their paint brushes to have a soft section in the handle, and much more important now sell individual  'comb' brushes in their range - as used for graining on teak coaches.

I think they are 2 for £1.99; they are not yet on the website (www.theworks.co.uk) 

Yours Peter.

For those with an interest in coaching stock, I started to build this LMS D1700 non-corridor third last night while her indoors watched Corrie. Having done a stock check I realised I had sold too many of my own coaches and was short of suburbans. Having no operational layout has left my coaches wrapped as new in drawers and my arm is easily twisted! This coach is an attempt to capture the appearance of LMS panelled stock after wartime/postwar panel replacement. All that below waist level is removed.....

attachicon.gifWEB D1700 suburban 3rd B.jpg

While in the process of mopping up old stock, the interior was built from one of my etched units. It is not light but this coach wont be in anything longer than a 3-coach set....

attachicon.gifWEB D1700 suburban 3rd A.jpg

Detailed and awaiting painting in LMS maroon with BR insignia.....

attachicon.gifWEB D1700 suburban 3rd C.jpg

Coach

Brilliant work - I wish I could build coaches as fast and as well as you. A few questions, if you don't mind.

Do you sell your etched seating units / interiors to the public? If so, what is the price and how do I order, please?

I see you've got etched vents above the doors - where do you get these, please?

What do you use to replicate the alarm gear etc. on the end?.

Thanks

Phil

Good to see the partial plated and simplified panelling style, something that was quite common in later years but rarely modelled. Virtually all of the steam stock on the Isle of Wight exhibited wide variations of this type in the last years, some coaches ending up practically panelling-free.

Sorry Phil but it would impractical to sell parts separately, as they would have to be put onto new sheets and would end up with the tail wagging the dog.

The louvres above the doors are my design (again not for sale), but something similar is available (I think) from 247 Develpments.

Train alarm 'gear' is sometimes etched and sometimes fabricated from .45" wire. Nothing goes to waste here and an etched 'handrail knob' that went wrong is being used to make train alarm gear.

Thanks for the reply, Coach. Personally, I think it's a shame your interior is not available as a kit somewhere - the idea of the spine along the bottom that the partition dividers and seats attach to (from the pictures I'm assuming that's how you've made them) looks a very good idea.

Thanks also for the tip about 247 developments - after looking at their website, they do indeed provide door louvers and they're at Expo EM and Railex, at least one of which I'll get to.

The finished coach in unlined LMS postwar maroon with BR M prefix number. Bogies are Dapol. The gloss cellulose had matting agent added instead of varnishing matt resulting in a Hornby-like finish....

attachicon.gifWEB D1700 suburban 3rd D.jpg

The same paint with matting agent added and without...........

attachicon.gifWEB D1700 suburban 3rd F.jpg

Would you mind letting us know which matting agent you use? I've not come across this technique before but from the pictures, I want to know more!

Thanks again and best wishes

Phil

Thanks, Coach. I had an idea and checked our friend Google. Lo and behold, Precision Paints supply a matting agent, so I know who to go to for it now. Who say's inspiration doesn't strike an old brain!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Coach. I had an idea and checked our friend Google. Lo and behold, Precision Paints supply a matting agent, so I know who to go to for it now. Who say's inspiration doesn't strike an old brain!

Phil

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acrylic-Mini-X-21-Flat-Base/dp/B000BWZU1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399567349&sr=8-1&keywords=tamiya+flat+base

Works well for me - just add it to acrylic paint, or add to Klear for a satin or matt varnish.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Coach

nice work as always... worries me that the time it takes for me to build and paint a coach I could be "doing" my box of coach kits for life..... especially as you seem to be building coaches similar to the ones in my pile of bits...

Keep them coming!

Baz

Archived