Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

makes my dreadful painting and building look awful - so keep up the good work Larry!

PS My Mark 1 Kitmaster rakes are linked by KD buckeyes through the buffer beam - with DGs at the end of rakes apart from a rake of Bachmann Mk1 which still have the Bachmann coupling system in use - the Kitmasters are less prone to leaving the track... the bogie mounted Bachmann couplings seem to be OK

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, I don't know what looks worse, Bachy couplings or those over-scale Markits 3-link ones!! Are those open thirds commissions or will you let us have one in LMS - simple would do?

• RMweb Gold

I thought it might be a short GWR bogie coach because of PM correspondence. Painted around the late 1970s at a guess before I started to add a date

I've always thought that was a nice touch.Why did you start doing it Coach ?

I am required to be a registered member to see the coach you mentioned. Is it a short GWR bogie coach?

As Larry knows, there was nothing suspicious about this as I also emailed him about it.

The question to identify it was posted in the Members' Lounge, hence non-members couldn't see it...

The rest of the Scalefour Society Forum is fully visible to non-members.  I hope that you will find some inspiring modelling over there. 

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary Larry. I did 49 years, though not all of them while self employed. The results of your 41 years of labour are there for all to see, beautiful to behold, whatever the livery. Speaking of which, I recently took delivery of a very expensive Gresley carriage in carmine and cream livery, complete with 3rd class markings on the doors, and LNER no smoking and other signs on the windows! It has gone back.......

• RMweb Premium

Larry many congratulations! Quite a milestone and as I have had the pleasure of seeing some of your work up close I can only say how good it is.

Did you know that Alistair Wright (ex 5522 Models ) was Chief Engineer at St Asaph for a while after you left?  (and I missed out on being his assistant by a week).

Keep up the good work

best regards

Barry O

Congratulations Larry, they do say quality goes on forever!

I managed nearly 45 years when I retired over 5 years ago and way back when I got my long service award at 25 years I had a DJH Standard Class 5 73068 built for the award! My grandfather drove this loco on his final day before he retired way back in 1958 - I was on the footplate from Worcester to Barnt Green (up the Lickey) on the Gloucester to Birmingham service. As a 10 year old train fanatic this was almost the Holy Grail, I remember the funny looks I got on the way back home as I stank of steam oil and had more than a fair covering of coal dust!

I still have 73068 in perfect condition - Oh and by the way it was painted by a certain Larry Goddard.

Many thanks for preserving that wonderful day for me.

Kind regards,

Martin.

Small world! I was fixing computers at Pilks 20 years ago, I didn't go self employed though!

I always enjoy the coach pictures that you post Larry, are you sure they are not 7mm scale? They always look perfect.

Best Regards and Happy Anniversary!

Tony

Well Larry, it doesn't seem that long ago that I came on holiday to a place near Rhyl. I appeared at your house on the Saturday evening with a newly scratch built Midland 0-4-4T which you painted for me in the week. Then followed parcels of locos and carriages from Whitby to North Wales. This was in about 1972 before you started on it full time. Wow. I must be getting old!

Here's one of yours from then.post-6110-0-10979400-1384963368_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on reaching such a milestone.

Derek

Thanks everyone.

Hi Derek (Kirtley800), it struck me there was something famliar about your picture above and then the penny dropped. The shed in the background resembles David Jenkinsons Kendal. To paraphrase DJ when he said he didnt enjoy writing but he was glad he had done it, I didnt always enjoy painting engines, but I'm glad I dunnit.........

post-6680-0-64816200-1384972263_thumb.jpg

Photography Tony Wright.

Making a change from painting railway coaches, I did this road coach for Gold Star in September 1973. Just minutes after this photo was taken I stepped back and fell off the roof! Fortunately I did a circus act falling through scaffolding behind the coach while hanging onto the paint tub. Plastic sheet was hurriedly placed over my cars driving seat and I made a dash for home and a hot bath using Persil to remove the blue paint. You wouldnt believe where it had got!  My watch never worked again....

attachicon.gifWEB Gold Star coach A.jpg

I took this Plaxton bodied Bedford round to St.Asaph Welsh school yard to take photos when done. It was my second and final full size coach commision...

attachicon.gifWEB Gold Star coach B.jpg

I hope Ozzy paid you well for your trouble. Lucky, you were, I broke my wrist when I fell off the roof painting mine.

Merf.

Hi Merf, There's a lot to say for being rubber-jointed......and yes I got well paid.  You will remember the outdoor 'studio' (photo taken in 1972). Mrs.coach bought me this shed. The droplight (window) complete with leather strap and roller came out of a LNWR Camping Coach and certainly served its purpose. The shelves were chock full of Precision railway paints plus some Floquil. On the bench I think I spy a Thompson Pacific in LNER green, a Stanier 2-6-4T, a Stanier corridor third, a Period II brake first and a scratchbuilt unpainted brass LMS 'Patriot'. The latter was mine. That steel ruler is still in daily use today and the Hamlet tin for storing paint brushes was from my cigar smoking days....

Geoff Holt was up from Boston one day with David Jenkinson from Harrogate and we were having a chinwag when the biggest damn spider you ever saw ran across that worktop. I fell over the back of my chair, tea flew in all directions and the other two guys were out the door faster than greyhounds out of the traps. 

attachicon.gifWEB Outdoor studio 1972.jpg

I well remember the old shed at Maes C.  The photo reminds me of you giving me some of those tins of Precision when you stopped doing modern image contemporary paint jobs. I was using the Rail Blue only the other day. It has lasted well.

Many hours spent putting the world to rights !

Merf.

Archived