Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

"Pete - 18,19 and 20 have been around Southampton recently so most likely, if you want the correct numbers I can probably find out for you."

Thanks beast, much appreciated.

70017/18(slightly singed) and 70019 were on parade earlier. 18 was dragged off shed(?) by a 66 and coupled up to 70019, the pair were then coupled up to an outgoing working.

Is there any truth in the rumour that 70018's next shed will be Chard?

Busiest I've seen Southampton Maritime today, 13 loco's about. 3x 08, 3x 70 and 7x 66.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

That's not strictly correct is it Beast ?

Do you mean all back in service apart from the fire damaged one ?

It's not stopped any more, it's off to Basford Hall, probably for repair but hey, let's split a few.

• RMweb Gold

There were at least 3 70's loitering at Southampton on Tuesday.Unfortunately I couldn't get any numbers.

Pete

70001 worked in from Wentloog.

17/18 and 20 were around 18 was STOP at that stage, but it's not now, 17 was allox 4M98 (- Garston) and 20 was allox 4M40 (- Trafford Park)

• RMweb Gold

70017 & 70019 both passed Didcot with Up FLT's on 13-04-12 (haven't identified the trains yet) - getting to like these - resisted the model but resolve is crumbling fast............... :no:

70017 = 4O27, Crewe - Southampton (train ex Garston)

70019 = 4O49, Crewe - Southampton.

• RMweb Premium

Aside from the cabside crease disappearing, are there any other differences visually between the first six and the later ones (other than 12's banana frame and 18's toasty look that is!)

• RMweb Premium

Aside from the cabside crease disappearing, are there any other differences visually between the first six and the later ones (other than 12's banana frame and 18's toasty look that is!)

Very little that I can tell - A few warning stickers - the later ones have a couple of extra stickers on the bogie for example.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ah well 70007 joined in the theme today and cremated itself at Bramley, we thought Olympic Torch would be a good name ;)

I was talking to a FL driver the other day and he said it was a fracture at the fuel pump on 18 so I assume it was the pipe to it or the actual casting possibly.

Aside from failing a lot and catching fire, they're causing other problems when in use as well - relatively few drivers are trained on them and they're being put on certain jobs which would normally have a 66 booked to them..... I booked on at 05.00 this morning to relieve a Crewe man at Northampton on 6Y25 but was told by my Control to stand down, as it had a pair of 70s on it! The Crewe man took the train back to Bescot and as I type this should be on his way to Crewe with the two locos, hence why I'm sitting here drinking tea and wearing my comfy slippers ;)

It's a situation which needs sorting in the long run, luckily the Crewe driver still had enough hours left on his day to finish the job, otherwise the train could have been stood for some time awaiting another driver on the right shift with the necessary traction and route knowledge.

Hi Guys.

Last night at about 8pm. whilst waiting at Tram Inn Level Crossing. Which is south of Hereford, on the Marches Line. A Class 70 came through, towing 66618 and a 66/5 heading North. The thing is, I am sure it was 70018? Has it been fixed or am I seeing things? And would anyone know what the 66/5 was as well.

Ta Simon

Ah well 70007 joined in the theme today and cremated itself at Bramley, we thought Olympic Torch would be a good name ;)

Perhaps they should be called Swamp Dragons. I've always thought that they looked a little like them but didn't think that they'd share the same propensity to self combust when over excited. Seems I might have been wrong! I think Freightliner should pack them all up and send them off into the care of Lady Sybil Vimes at the Sunshine Sanctury before the rest of them go up in smoke! :D

Note: For anyone who hasn't read the discworld novels that wont make any sense but still it must be a worry for Freightliner that there new toys keep combusting. Hope they can get the problems sorted before any more get "over excited".

• Like 2

Guest baldrick25

70019 has jacked this morning at Rugeley on 4O49 Basford Hall to Southampton. No fire as far as I know, but not looking rosy for the 70's.

• RMweb Gold

They should have stuck to class 47's.

They were good at catching fire in their early days - 'underframe fires were us' in their case as the automatic slack adjusters cheerfully over-adjusted themselves and the brake blocks caught fire setting off other fires. And odd to remark but the last time I rode on one on a train it had caught fire and I got up to assist the Driver (at his request) although we finished up going back into New St for a fresh engine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

70019 has jacked this morning at Rugeley on 4O49 Basford Hall to Southampton. No fire as far as I know, but not looking rosy for the 70's.

70019 made Southampton, 4 of the others are currently on trains. These are highly complex machines and they will take a bit of shaking down.

As Mike says there were plenty of problems with most of the "heritage" locos, I can remember plaques on the sides of 47s in the late 1970s were experiments were done to try and correct problems, and thats more than a year or two after their introduction and I bet the 70s are covering more miles and carrying heavier loads during their early days than most if not all previous classes have done.

• Like 3