RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't there talk a bit back about the yellow used on these locos? Here is two together at Swindon today showing the yellow on 70801 and the lack of yellow on the other. It's more a greeny colour to me!

'Twas me originally. The yellow on the fronts of 70802 upwards, is not Colas yellow, but the same yellow as used by Freighliner on their 70's. I have a 70 to do as 802 upwards sometime. Just waiting for one to get North of Warrington as long as it isn't 801.....

Nice clear pic.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Did numbers 08 and 09 arrive in seaforth today.??

According to www.marinetraffic.com the Atlantic Compass is swinging round into Seaforth dock as I type!

Screenshot from above website at 22:52. Atlantic Compass is the big green one in the middle!

Cheers,

Mick

post-408-0-84823200-1400277202.jpg

Edited by newbryford

According to www.marinetraffic.com the Atlantic Compass is swinging round into Seaforth dock as I type!

Screenshot from above website at 22:52. Atlantic Compass is the big green one in the middle!

Cheers,

Mick

Thankyou Admiral Mick..!!!

I shall tell my number crunching pals, who no doubt are already in the starting blocks for a Liverpool trip.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

In all fairness they are a damn good engine but i've had my fill of them this week working top and tail as there are so many things you need to do just to change ends, and ive had to do it twice on each trip on the job i've been on

A lot of the problem is you cant do anything until the computer says you can, so what would be a 5 mins change ends on a 66 took me 45 mins on a 70 and then it said i couldn't take power due to a problem!

Get them on something like 6M50 going westbury to bescot and back there are fantastic but having to change ends at 03:30 in the middle of no where on your own and they are a pain in the bum

And guess what im doing tomorrow night!

• RMweb Premium

In all fairness they are a damn good engine but i've had my fill of them this week working top and tail as there are so many things you need to do just to change ends.

And guess what im doing tomorrow night!

Changing ends on a 70 per chance? :O  :banghead:

Sounds like your well and truly 70'd  out Jim!

A lot of the problem is you cant do anything until the computer says you can, so what would be a 5 mins change ends on a 66 took me 45 mins on a 70 and then it said i couldn't take power due to a problem!

Like clearing a paper jam in one of the multi-tray, multi-function printers in the office. You know where the jam is and have cleared it but you still have to follow the sequence of opening all of the various panels (and closing them!) before the printer will work again!

Somewhat off-topic but that immediately came to mind :-)

• RMweb Gold

Like clearing a paper jam in one of the multi-tray, multi-function printers in the office. You know where the jam is and have cleared it but you still have to follow the sequence of opening all of the various panels (and closing them!) before the printer will work again!

except we are not allowed to open the panels!!

• RMweb Premium

A day off work today prompted a trip to the Solent taking in Southampton Central, St Denys and Eastleigh.

Must have seen about 7 class 70s, 009, 015 and 016 were all stabled at Millbrook when I passed around 0930 this morning.

All pictures here taken at Eastleigh

post-11362-0-33656800-1400528865_thumb.jpg

Turkish Delight stabled in the yard, did not move in the 2 hours I was there.

post-11362-0-56803900-1400528850_thumb.jpg

70018 in platform 3, hauling an entire rake of container flats with just 3 containers plonked in the middle of the rake. Must have sat there for a good 15 minutes while a Waterloo - Portsmouth was looped around it.

SWT were not having a good day with Bournemouth-Poole being shut because of over-running engineering work.

Then about 15 minutes later 70010 turned up with a slightly heavier loaded container train.

post-11362-0-22156500-1400528834_thumb.jpg

70010 has had the extra cooling ports or whatever they are called fitted although 70018, one of the 2 that did actually catch fire, has not been modified.

Is it just me or do the Freightliner 70's have a ridiculous number of health and safety warning notices on them? Some repeated about every 3 feet!

post-11362-0-76354400-1400528821_thumb.jpg

70010 has also had the buffer shanks painted red and some new friction material stuck on the buffer faces.

Dale

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Then about 15 minutes later 70010 turned up with a slightly heavier loaded container train.

attachicon.gif70010 grill.jpg

70010 has had the extra cooling ports or whatever they are called fitted although 70018, one of the 2 that did actually catch fire, has not been modified.

The Green team 70's are gradually having the modifications applied. I think there's one other since 70010 that's been done (70015?) and 70014 is currently at Brush, Loughborough.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The Green team 70's are gradually having the modifications applied. I think there's one other since 70010 that's been done (70015?) and 70014 is currently at Brush, Loughborough.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

A quick Flickr search would agree that 70015 is the other one that's been done although I can't say I noticed it as I whizzed passed Millbrook on an SWT 158.

Dale