Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Masking tape makes a good representation of roofing felt.  I used it on a smaller scale on the waiting shelter for Long Preston.   I would have thought card of some kind, such as thin mounting board would do for the cladding.

Keep up the good work and sorry to hear about the shattering.

Jamie

Single ply tissue paper can work well to represent roofing felt, the last time I did it on plastcard I just used Mepack to fix it down. If you go down this route it maybe an idea to fit some on the inside as well.

Sorry to hear about the shattering, any ideas what may have caused it (to hot to cold Etc.), have you any photos to show what has happened?

OzzyO.

Using black card for the outer cladding, and white card printed with timber planking on the inside, both fixed to a 40 thou plasticard core. This is then edged with 2mm RSJ styrene extrusion to enable the whole to be fixed to the roof structure. Additional styrene extrusions are used to carry the glazing strips

From experience the styrene strip only shatters when using MEK, but only infrequently. Have found no common cause

The shattered beams have been dumped along with other household waste in the local disposal skip. If it happens again will post pictures of the damage

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ron, I have found that MEK varies depending on who manufactures it. The strongest (in that it seems to melt any hard plastic) is sold as Butanone (C&L to stick their ABS chairs to ply timbers), MEK as made by Stevenson of Chesterfield is next in terms of melting power, then MEK-PAK by Slaters, hardly touches C&L chairs and finally EMA Plastic weld. Not sure if this is MEK or not but won't touch ABS.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Hi Ron, I have found that MEK varies depending on who manufactures it. The strongest (in that it seems to melt any hard plastic) is sold as Butanone (C&L to stick their ABS chairs to ply timbers), MEK as made by Stevenson of Chesterfield is next in terms of melting power, then MEK-PAK by Slaters, hardly touches C&L chairs and finally EMA Plastic weld. Not sure if this is MEK or not but won't touch ABS.

I also find Butanone a lot more volatile than Mek-Pak and can really only be used satisfactorily by capillary action (eg fixing chairs to sleepers)

Plasticweld is DichloroMethane is OK for Styrene, but not ABS. MEK can be used for both by capillary action. There are definitely variations in styrene extrusions, strips and sheet

Can now only obtain MEK in Spain. It's used to clean the joints of uPVC pipe and fittings before using jointing cement

Have finished the new tie beams, and they are all fixed in position with no problems

Ron 

• Like 1

I found that the more recent batches of Plastic Weld have tended to evaporate faster than previously - barely enough time to spread it on the workpiece before it goes "off". Previously it was a very aggressive solvent, on a par with C&L Butanone.

I only ever used one bottle of MekPak, finding it to be quite weak in terms of joining things, but very good for cleaning the insides of car windscreens when soaked into a paper towel.

• RMweb Premium

Plasticweld is DichloroMethane is OK for Styrene, but not ABS. MEK can be used for both by capillary action. There are definitely variations in styrene extrusions, strips and sheet

Can now only obtain MEK in Spain. It's used to clean the joints of uPVC pipe and fittings before using jointing cement

Have finished the new tie beams, and they are all fixed in position with no problems

Ron

The Dichloromethane (plastic weld) which I bought in bulk sticks C&L chairs to ply sleepers/timbers without any trouble. There is a link earlier in this thread that I posted for details of the supplier.

• RMweb Premium

The south gable/transom is now fixed in position, having successfully fixed the new tie braces -

attachicon.gifIMG_0928.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0929.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0930.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0931.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0932.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0934.JPG

... next paint the new styrene members, and fix the apex vent structures

Craftsmanship/Clever really doesn't do justice to this.

Adrian

You can even see where the plastic has discoloured / aged in different shades, depending on when Ron built it, and how much light exposure it had. A sort of natural weathering on its own....

It's the difference in colour of Halford's Ford Seirra Beige over the years 2006 thro' 2012

I intend to give it a quick blow over with 2012 vintage from the inside. The exterior will be clad, so the difference won't be as easily noticeable

• Like 1

It's the difference in colour of Halford's Ford Seirra Beige over the years 2006 thro' 2012

I intend to give it a quick blow over with 2012 vintage from the inside.

The original was never all one colour!

Excellent stuff as ever,

Best wishes,

Howard

• RMweb Premium

The south gable/transom is now fixed in position, having successfully fixed the new tie braces -

attachicon.gifIMG_0928.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0929.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0930.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0931.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0932.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0934.JPG

... next paint the new styrene members, and fix the apex vent structures

Absolutely staggering Ron; any chance of seeing a loco and/or some stock against it to get the scale of it all?

David

The roof has been 'blown' with vintage 2012 spray paint, and the first of the cladding placed in its location at the roof eaves. Will fix when all the cladding for one side of the roof is complete

post-10633-0-78784800-1419004228_thumb.jpg

Looking South along East Wall

post-10633-0-63995700-1419004154_thumb.jpg

Closer view

post-10633-0-65369300-1419004069_thumb.jpg

Closer still

post-10633-0-54364600-1419004409_thumb.jpg

Looking North along East Wall

post-10633-0-53228300-1419004321_thumb.jpg

Closer view

post-10633-0-45458900-1419004485_thumb.jpg

External view over cladding

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Ron

That looks Awesome. Great workmanship. With the right background(no paint cans), it would look real.

Keep up the good work. I have been following this build from the start.

Steve

aka Ramrig

• RMweb Premium

David, here is a quick picture of six Mk1 carriages (in no particular order) and a Britannia loco - the external canopied platform extension would allow at least another five carriages

attachicon.gifIMG_0943.JPG

The rolling stock is placed on the platform, as not enough straight track is available yet, and the platform hoist is not in place

Ron

Fantastic thanks Ron; truly amazing feat...

David

Thats mighty impressive Ron, with the loco and stock one gets the full impact of the size of this project.

Thanks

It will look a lot more impressive when the external platforms/canopies and trackwork is in place - some months off yet

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3

It's ironic that I should come across this topic for the first time today, because exactly 50 years ago, a little after 2pm, I arrived at the real Manchester Central on a "half-day excursion" from London St. Pancras en route to visit the Manchester Model Railway Society's exhibition at the Corn Exchange. I have been an MMRS member ever since, but that, and a similar journey in 1965, were the only occasions that I used the Central station, although I did stay once at the nearby Midland Hotel when it was still in railway (well, BTH) hands.

An absolutely superb model.

Oh, and that half-day excursion went back from Piccadilly to Marylebone (via Bletchley and High Wycombe), quite a rail-tour for less than £2!

Fantastic work Ron, the Brit with six on really shows the size of the train shed. One thing that I'd like to know, what are you going to use for the infill pieces between the roof girders and the walls? Plasicard or etched.

OzzyO.