Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

Some very nice additions that will feed my need for stock for Hemerdon Bank, plus a 26 which whilst totally out of location will just have to haul a few blue coaches.

The Hall is an interesting addition and looking at the detail is a bar raiser given the current Farish model.

Other way round for me. A green 26 is a must for the Waverley Route layout I intend to build this year but the Hall will be a loco most people could find a home for if it lives up to the promise of the EP (Including me!).

Regards

Roy

Thanks for posting this info ANDY ....................................

My Big snag is I live not too far from CHIRK..........

And as I do some work in Wrexham I am usually there at least twice a week......... and Wrexham to Chirk is only 10 mins or so drive ......... OH Dear!!!:lol:

• RMweb Premium

A new Hall and looking at the model not to far off release. Hmmm I don't need one for Avonwick, but for the next layout, well that will be several then. Given that I suggested a Hall on the froth thread, I'm thrilled at this prospect, If they need renumbering that's not an issue. It nicely opens up a range of other large GWR for the future, Castles, Star's and Counties all had the same driving wheel spacings (as did the 93xx mogel and Manor but Ixion are / have these in production).

Dave - I don't know if you will be able to answer this, but have you collaborated Ixion for the loco chassis on the Hall?

'OO' Western Diesel Hydraulic

Thanks to the kind assistance and use of CAD from ‘Just Like TheReal Thing’ Dapol are able to announce the most accurate and realistic Class 52 ‘Western’ yet manufactured.

4 models will be released this year and are as follows:

• D1003a D1005 “Western Venturer†BR Blue with full yellow warning panel
  • D1003b D1029 “Western Legionnaire†BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel
  • D1003c D1038 “Western Sovereign†BR Green with small yellow warning panels
  • D1003d D1056 “Western Sultan†BR Maroon with full yellow warning panel

Featuring Dapol's new OO gauge 5-pole skew wound motor, darkened profile wheels, partial low friction mechanism, twin flywheels, directional lighting, lit yellow glow head code panels, DCC Ready 21-pin decoder socket onboard, accessory bag, fully modelled cab interior, etched name and number plates, interior cab lighting, DCC sound speaker space within fuel tank, etched brass roof grilles with moulded fans beneath and NEM coupling box.

Will that NEM pocket be fixed as part of the bogie moulding :(, or on a simple flex-joint :(, or properly, on a close-coupling cam mounting :D?

It seems the wall is in place, Dapol have GWR/LNER vs Farish LMS/BR steam, each with the respective coaches to pull.

Not sure it is that clear cut. We have just seen a Farish LNER B1 released and logic suggests they could reuse the LNER Group Standard tender-drive on other LNER prototypes.

Also LNER the A3 and A4 are not showing in the current Farish range following many reissues in different liveries following Bachmann's takeover. This could be because (1) tooling is shot or (2) the market is saturated (unlikely) or (3) there are plans afoot to re-tool. Both are highly popular models and I'd not have thought they will stay out of someone's range for very long.

On the other side of the coin we have seen Dapol do two BR standards, a 9F and a Brit.

I suspect the reality is that if either manufacturer sees an opportunity to produce a model, even if an upgrade of an existing product in their own range or that of a competitor, if they think it will sell sufficiently well they will not be put off whatever it is. In fact I think the Dapol Hall (And indeed Western HST and 56) proves this.

Regards

Roy

Wow, that was unexpected ~ a Western in OO!

Nice to see Dapol going into competition with Heljan bearing in mind Heljan didn't take on board constructive critisism about the roof shape, if Dapols turns out better (well if it's all based on JLTRT CAD the I would expect it to be pretty bloody good) then they will be onto a winner.

Might even buy one myself for my Anglian layout, there's always scope for a charter train isn't there!

Still think they should dip in and do that OO 86 though..........I can only wish

Mike

Thats great news about the Western in 00, I do feel that Heljan missed the boat with their Western.

I have a collection of 6 detailed Lima Westerns but have only got around to getting 1 Heljan Western and it took me a year to sort out the add on detail parts on that because I felt the model did not capture the Western well enough (for me). But the Heljan Hymek on the other hand which Heljan have done very well I bought 3 of straight away.

Looks like an expensive year for me if Dapol make a good job of it!

No doubt by pictures its original hall and the names are modified halls. Rather disapointing mistake to be honest.

However I am rather hopeful that means both versions are in production along with the much loathed (i'm told by firemen) hawksworth tender.

Disapointed that no southern region engines but then both my farish halls are shot and I could do with an engine for my collet coaches,.

So perhaps really the picture is an accidental suprise. I look forward to DapolDave clarifying or revising running numbers.

Lets Hope Dapol tweak JLTRTs class 52 CAD (before producing thier own model) - the 7mm wizzo is good , but the cabs are still not 100%

Leave me with a tough choice now though - N gauge western or oo gauge western - or buy both ??

TFN

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see that class 26 inching its way closer to us....am sure that will have me 'unboxing 'Kyle in a box' when its released....can just see a BR Blue version hauling some Bachfar new Mk I's :biggrin_mini2:

Excellent news for 00, the Class 21 announcement for me was the icing on the cake this year, 3 in original BR Green will look good next to my 15's,31's and 24's. I'm going to be skint this year though what with a class 28, LMS twins, class 85 and possibly the remodelled Bachman class 40 and not to mention DP2 (depending on outcome) on the to buy list. Thank you Dapol.

Hi everyone from the sunny caribean,

I can confirm the C*** up theory regarding the Hall numbering, and they should have been for un-modified Halls.

We have arranged the tooling to produce modified and un-modified versions, with the first release being un-modified. I'm afraid the release of modified names and numbers was my mess up, and shouldnt have happened. Apologies.:mellow:

I'm back in a week and will update our website, and this with the un-modified names/numbers for the first releases. Hopefully by then i will also have details of the second GWR tender we are working on as well.

Please accept my apologies as it's a genuine mistake done in the in the heat of the moment while trying to get the press release and catalogue out yesterday before i left to come here. :(

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi,

Re the Hall it's very curious. As has been mentioned the CAD is definitely an original Hall but all the numbers quoted are "Modified". I can't imagine Dapol making such a fundamental error as this so will be interested in seeing how this develops. Also be interested if any of those listed had Hawksworth tenders at the time they are modelled.

Whatever it's could be enough to make me look at N again.

Stu

Lets Hope Dapol tweak JLTRTs class 52 CAD (before producing thier own model) - the 7mm wizzo is good , but the cabs are still not 100%

Leave me with a tough choice now though - N gauge western or oo gauge western - or buy both ??

TFN

Jon

I know where you're coming from regarding the JLTRT kit Jon, but I think when scaling the CADs down to 4mm, the subtle incorrect profile probably won't be as apparent as it is to some in 7mm. Just my thought on it anyway. A really well painted and weathered JLTRT Western can be very 'convincing' if done right. The attached photos were taken at the York show last Easter, if it looks this good in 4mm count me in!

As for the choice between N and 00, if they turn out to be the business I'd be happy to have both too. It's only the lack of a decent Western in N that's stopped me buying the Dapol Hymek and Bachfar Warship in recent months. These, plus the latest incarnation of Mk1 coaching stock make the thought of getting a layout built in the smaller scale all the more appealing. I think the release of both Westerns will open up several cans of worms at once...

Nidge ;)

Edit : just remembered, the shape of the engine room windows on the JLTRT model is slightly wrong, the corners shouldn't be quite so rounded off, I hope Dapol have noticed this)

post-7638-0-10540100-1294491798_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-69860600-1294491878_thumb.jpg

really quite worried now i have been doing some research and there are currently 2 halls, Kinlet and Rood Ashton, both on the mainline. oh dear. to have Kinlet Hall running round on either Kinlet Wharf or Kinlet Junction would be quite nice.

running off to find my wallet so the missus can't hide my bank cards!!

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Re the Hall it's very curious. As has been mentioned the CAD is definitely an original Hall but all the numbers quoted are "Modified". I can't imagine Dapol making such a fundamental error as this so will be interested in seeing how this develops. Also be interested if any of those listed had Hawksworth tenders at the time they are modelled.

Whatever it's could be enough to make me look at N again.

Stu

Dave cleared this up a fraction before you posted.

really quite worried now i have been doing some research and there are currently 2 halls, Kinlet and Rood Ashton, both on the mainline. oh dear. to have Kinlet Hall running round on either Kinlet Wharf or Kinlet Junction would be quite nice.

Isn't Olton Hall (probably currently carrying nameplates saying 'Hogwarts Castle') mainline registered too?

• RMweb Premium

That extra snippet from Dave regarding the Halls coming in both modified and original flavours makes things even more exciting, as does the comment made about different types of tenders to come.

Looking at that picture of the Grand Central HST, I notice that the roof over the cooler group is wrong. That's a Marston Cooler, and these were replaced by Brush ones when the new engines were fitted. This was also when the orange-stripe livery was applied, so they never carried this livery when they had Marston coolers.

Could Dapol confirm whether this will be corrected for the production model?

No doubt by pictures its original hall and the names are modified halls. Rather disapointing mistake to be honest.

This is assuming that it's a mistake of course. Could it also not be likely that Dapol are tooling up both the original and modified Halls with modified Halls being first to be produced but the displayed prototype of the original.?

[EDIT] And then I say DapolDave's post so ignore that bit above mostly.

Archived