Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

Hmm take some sandpaper to my £36 Heljan Western or spend £110 on a Dapol one? I guess it depends on how good they do get it though i'll probably stick with modified Heljan as good enough tbh.

Hopefully we'll get the 22 to market to see what sort of benchmark these new locos in 00 will set.

Stove R cockup i'm blaming on Hornby Mag as the customer and not Dapol when they weren't picked up on what they presented. Still can't believe I got a surprised response when I first mentioned the wheel diameter.

One for Dave, although I hope I'm not overstepping the mark here.

Is the plan just to shoot down the JLTRT CAD drawings or is there plans for tweaking it cosmetically? It's clear from reading here that whilst people like the JLTRT model, there are a few changes around the front end that could be made to make it that one step better. If the same approach that was taken with the 22 is used (where each drawing iteration was shown and constructive critisism invited and acted upon), I think we could end up with something rather special. From reading on here and various hydraulic forums, it's clear that if Dapol nail it retailers will have trouble keeping them in stock.

Pix

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to the Western - I'm just relieved I didn't splash out on a Heljan one just before Christmas - I was in the shop, that nice heavy blue box was in my hand, the credit card was at the ready ready and then I had second thoughts and bought a Class 15 instead!

• RMweb Gold
<br />If it's "correct", I will certainly buy a couple of OO Westerns, so I agree entirely about names.<br /><br />And preferably Westerns with headboard clips as the most common form (so not D1029). D1029 is a odd choice anyway - did anyone notice the spelling differences in Andy's original post. One "n" for N gauge but two for OO. Can't remember when the plates were corrected, but Dapol will need to check that too. Far better to go for a different loco with a short name - please Dapol.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

According to Adrian Curtis in his book Western Mythology, the correction Legionaire to Legionnaire was done during a Swindon overhaul in 1969, released to traffic 15 April.

D1029 was of course the last main line diesel made by Swindon works, which may well feature by Dapol as part of the GW175 anniversary.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure the Hall, 26, 56 and Western will be very popular, but just my luck - the only outstanding 'magnificent 7' model NOT announced for release this year is the one I want - the Pendolino!

Hi

The class 92 is missing as well. (Can't remember if it was one of the 'magnificent 7' though).

Cheers

Paul

Read this and make up your own mind about the Western.

JLTRT

January 2011

It has come to our notice that a company are claiming to be working with us on new products for the OO market. We wish to make it clear that we did not authorise this and therefore we have asked for it to be removed.

Thanks Brian; I have amended my postings made from Dapol's press release in light of this.

Just a thought before the inevitable 'online with no information froth fest starts'. Prior to the link announcement above, the originator of the JLTRT cads has posted with no negative comment re the link between him and JLTRT, and a link between JLTRT and the manufacturer people are assuming to be involved. Note JLTRT has not named the manufacturer, or the specific product/s involved.

Speculating there may be a link between a recent announcement and JLTRT's whilst not unreasonable, may be incorrect. Lets not forget the potential legal issues that could be involved for the manufacturers we are assuming to be involved, and this forum, as a published/publishing medium.

Fair points all, PMP. Especially as Dapol seem to have their press release still on their main pages:

Dapol 2011 Web Page

Both sides of the story, and a clarification from JLTRT before the fingers start pointing...? As I would have thought that JLTRT would have said "00 and N gauge" and not just "00" in the event that there was something amiss.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that Dapol haven't made any comment about this yet on their website...

As has been said above, it could well be that Dapol have nothing to do with this, if this is the case why would they comment.

Interesting that Dapol haven't made any comment about this yet on their website...

I'm not sure what you'd be expecting to see. It's out of hours; I've sent DapolDave a message and I know contact is being made with JLTRT.

Dapol Dave is on holiday, we can not assume this applies to Dapol. I have heard comments made before about people riping of O gauge kits. It could be that a kit make has made a announcement.

I think that perhaps Andy should on behalf of the forum seek clarification from Dapol.

Mark, good to see your project is ongoing, good luck for a succesful outcome.

I think there is a large market still, despite the Hornby and Heljan models, and if it is right, then I think people are prepared to pay for 'premium' quality models.

The caveat tho is that it HAS to be right.

Go for it Dapol, and no excuses. :D

• RMweb Premium

If that's so then Grahame, why are you always moaning on about wanting RTR EMUs, there are plenty of kits for them out there so stop moaning! :lol:

Richard

You've not seen Grahame's rather large collection of N Gauge EMUs on either Hedges Hill Cutting or Stoney Lane Depot then? There aren't that many N Gauge modellers as prolific as Mr Hedges...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

When I put my post on a few days ago briefly commenting on the wise decision by a fellow member of RM Web to wait and see, and particularly in the light of the Stove R. I was holding back a little bit myself. Nothing Dapol has produced so far has given me any confidence - and thats including the N gauge stuff, can't help thinking here they have found a cash cow that modellers, starved of anything at all in RTR 2mm for so long, and perhaps not quite as discerning as many 4mm modellers have jumped on and can make a quick buck at. Their 4mm products so far just dont cut the mustard.

That's a bit harsh if I may say so. Dapol's first N Gauge locos (14xx and 73) were a step forward from what had been produced by Farish for the previous 30+ years and almost without doubt they can be credited with giving Bachmann a bit of competition and reason to push N Gauge up from where they'd been stuck for years (although I'd like to say that split gears appart I'd rather have a 1980s all wheel drive, all wheel pick-up Farish diesel than a Lima or Hornby pancake).

I don't see N Gauge modellers are being any less fussy than OO gauge modellers and I know many who would be insulted to have that said that about them. I know many N Gauge modellers who switched to European or American N because of the quality of British N. With the improvements over the last few years many of them are now considering switching back.

Dapol may have had a few quality and shape issues but they're not the only ones in either scale. It's suprising how often OO modellers forget this when picking appart N Gauge models. The Heljan 86 and 17 have shape and mechanical issues between them, Hornby steam locos have suffered from poor build quality and the shape of some of Bachmann's OO gauge models is questionable.

Personally I'd much rather a N Gauge 67, 87, 58 or 150 than the Heljan, Limby or Bachmann equivalents. That said I'd rather a Hornby or Bachmann 08 than the Farish version with it's overwide coupling rods.

Happy modelling (which ever scale you model!)

Steven B.

If it isn't them, Dapol, they have nothing to answer to.

Agreed. In any case this issue is entirely between JLTRT and another manufacturer. It is not really any of our business. Whilst we can speculate in a vacuum, nothing will be achieved by leaping to assumptions except perhaps putting manufacturers off using this forum.

We are quite lucky that people like DapolDave visit and take note of the feedback on this forum. Let's make sure we don't poison the well.

Archived