Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

Dave cleared this up a fraction before you posted

Hi,

The joys of being on the end of a dodgy dongle........... :D All becomes clear now.

This has made it even more tempting. I wonder if anyone does 2mm plates for 6902............

Stu

Guest Max Stafford

Six NBLs? This could potentially be an expensive year for this guy.

I'm starting to hope Bachmann will be producing obscure Midland and southern area LNER designs for this year! :lol:

Dave.

Whilst I doubt my model of a 1970s Western Region Cornish Main Line will ever be built I would still like to congratulate Dapol for deciding that an alternative OO Western is a viable model to make.

Although Dapol have been subject to some criticism regarding some previous OO models they have continued to produce excellent models in N gauge and have still decided to expand their range in OO. In the current trend of cut-backs by most manufacturers in all industries I feel Dapol's forward thinking is very commendable and I wish them every success with all their products.

2011 could turn out to be a more expensive than I first thought!

N gauge Wezzie - cue the desilux horns - woo hoo -

Been looking at the poor Farish 1000s only the other night, lined up with a few D800s and 7000's from the Dapol stable, and it doesn't matter how many bottles of Fursty Ferret I consume or how hard I squint, that old farish 1000 looks its vintage.

Fantastic Dapol Dave - better keep the news from my wife since, if its up to the standards of the Hymek, I'll be taking a couple a year.

With the Dapol Hymek, the Farish D800s, D9500s and Mark 1's, rolling stock the equivalent of you bigger boys with your 00, means the hydraulic layout of my minds eye becomes ever more attainable.

Now, to work out the size of the Langstone Rock and the cant of the curve there in N.........

Spot on.

I trust that you will shift Mendip roadstone sized quantities of this one.....

Cheers

Matt W

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely typical - as my eyesight declines with age so N gauge gets much better with age. The 'Hall' looks very good if that pic is any guide and definitely worth a Caribbean holiday for Dapol Dave even if the numbers are slightly mixed up.

As far as I'm concerned the important news is the D10XX for 4mm scale/00. Fingers crossed that it will be as good as it promises to be and interesting to note that once it is 'in service' and Kernow's D6XX has arrived there will be only one Type 4 diesel-hydraulic which Dapol won't have touched for 00; need I say more Dave?

And overall an excellent start to GW 176, at this rate it could become officialbiggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

The new wagons in N look interesting, and will certainly find their way onto Gresby; but will the new numbers of FEA/B include GBRF ones?

Will have to wait another year for that L&Y Pug :( Haha!

Simon

Hmmm, perhaps a Blue Western wouldn't look too out of place next to a Deltic... odd. Apparantly I never liked them as a kid (according to father)... but I was almost tempted by the Heljan... so, hopefully Dapol will convince me to unlock the credit card... and then convert to P4.... hmmmm :crazy_mini: .

really quite worried now i have been doing some research and there are currently 2 halls, Kinlet and Rood Ashton, both on the mainline.

Alistair

Isn't Olton Hall (probably currently carrying nameplates saying 'Hogwarts Castle') mainline registered too?

Looking on another, more up to date, site Kinlet is now out of traffic, but Pitchford and Olton are both out and about on the mainline.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Looking on another, more up to date, site Kinlet is now out of traffic, but Pitchford and Olton are both out and about on the mainline.

Alistair

Pitchfork hall is currently at the GCR, I believe the owner is trying to sell it and it will remain at the GCR until it has been sold at least.

Cheers, Richard

• RMweb Premium

Prices for the OO gauge Westerns have also been released - RRP of £129.95 - I have seen being offered for £110ish on Kernows MOdel centre's website.

Absolutely typical - as my eyesight declines with age so N gauge gets much better with age. The 'Hall' looks very good if that pic is any guide and definitely worth a Caribbean holiday for Dapol Dave even if the numbers are slightly mixed up.

As far as I'm concerned the important news is the D10XX for 4mm scale/00. Fingers crossed that it will be as good as it promises to be and interesting to note that once it is 'in service' and Kernow's D6XX has arrived there will be only one Type 4 diesel-hydraulic which Dapol won't have touched for 00; need I say more Dave?

And overall an excellent start to GW 176, at this rate it could become officialbiggrin.gif

It's the old proverbial 'waiting for a bus' thingumy isn't it Mike? I think the only 'problem' I can see modelling all these Hydraulics will be trying to pick a period and then sticking to it! I know this isn't that important to a lot of people but with all that is (or soon will be) on offer it adds to the enjoyment of the hobby to 'get it right'. Externally, the Westerns only had minor variations amongst the 74 class members, but getting the liveries right and mixing them in with the right spec D6XX and D63XX's should be fun. A Hydraulic infested layout set around 1961 / 62 will look subtley different to one set around 1965 / 66. Throw in the different in ambience of West London and West Cornwall and you could end up with a very pleasing visual feast... ;)

Nidge

Many thanks for posting that Andy!

And HUGE thanks to Dapol!!! I am really invigorated by the news of a JLTRT based Western in 4mm! Hopefully it will be relatively easy to convert to P4?

The only thing is (now that I have a great stock of 4mm hydraulics!) whether to continue in 4mm or N?

I certainly will get a Hall to go with my Peco collett but then, these are (for me!) an earlier era than the hydraulics!

Decisions, decisions!

Still, I am one very happy bunny!

Cheers,

John E.

I wonder if Dapol will be offering unpowered dummy locos of any 00 releases? My present stock includes D6110+D6112 from Hornby, running as "on-delivery" light engines from Doncaster to East Anglia. Tad expensive to buy 2x class 21 at modern prices just to run as light engines!

Nice news on the Westerns, although being available in both scales, could be a bit harder on my walletwink.gif

Personal highlight of the year though, will still be the earlier announcement of the class 29sbiggrin.gif and with the possible numbers chosen, we may see them with a few detail differences.

Just need someone to announce a Gloucester 100 in 4mm and I'll be dancing on the ceiling for a long time.

Well done Dapol drink_mini.gif

• RMweb Gold

It's the old proverbial 'waiting for a bus' thingumy isn't it Mike? I think the only 'problem' I can see modelling all these Hydraulics will be trying to pick a period and then sticking to it! I know this isn't that important to a lot of people but with all that is (or soon will be) on offer it adds to the enjoyment of the hobby to 'get it right'. Externally, the Westerns only had minor variations amongst the 74 class members, but getting the liveries right and mixing them in with the right spec D6XX and D63XX's should be fun. A Hydraulic infested layout set around 1961 / 62 will look subtley different to one set around 1965 / 66. Throw in the different in ambience of West London and West Cornwall and you could end up with a very pleasing visual feast... ;)

Nidge

Period isn't too much of a worry for me Nidge - the 1000s looked at their best in green, or green, or green although I'm just about prepared to tolerate the original maroon with the yellow bufferbeam and D1000 when it was new (but not once that livery weatheredohmy.gif). Didn't like 'em in blue - in fact didn't like anything in blue - so that solves any era thoughts I might have. It's just twisting their workings a little bit to have them going on 'slightly different'laugh.gif routes in South Wales that I have to contend with.

Well, I am pleased to see that tender variations are being covered. I'm looking forward to a model of 4965 (saw her in Lincoln whilst at uni, one of my favouite non-GE steam locos). If 4965 isn't a candidate, at least a suitable model for conversion would be nice.

Maybe I missed it, but didn't Dapol Dave say there would be an OO pantograph set too? Still nice to see they're branching out into OO again and although I had planned to get a 21/29 anyway I might be tempted to add to that with a new 52 as well. Though whether to compliment or replace my unaltered Lima one I'm unsure...

Archived