Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

Assuming you mean my cadds model, you need to be a bit careful.

I gave them access to my cadds model for their 7mm kit, I certainly was not the originator as I am sure they made use of plenty of other sources of information to arrive at the final product. Also mine was configured for 4mm scale re-scaled for 7mm when I sent it to them, so there would be lots of areas that would not be appropriate for them to use. I don't know why they chose to do the cab windows differently, but they obviously had their reasons.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Just a thought before the inevitable 'online with no information froth fest starts'. Prior to the link announcement above, the originator of the JLTRT cads has posted with no negative comment re the link between him and JLTRT, and a link between JLTRT and the manufacturer people are assuming to be involved. Note JLTRT has not named the manufacturer, or the specific product/s involved.

Speculating there may be a link between a recent announcement and JLTRT's whilst not unreasonable, may be incorrect. Lets not forget the potential legal issues that could be involved for the manufacturers we are assuming to be involved, and this forum, as a published/publishing medium.

Assuming you mean my cadds model, you need to be a bit careful.

I gave them access to my cadds model for their 7mm kit, I certainly was not the originator as I am sure they made use of plenty of other sources of information to arrive at the final product. Also mine was configured for 4mm scale re-scaled for 7mm when I sent it to them, so there would be lots of areas that would not be appropriate for them to use. I don't know why they chose to do the cab windows differently, but they obviously had their reasons.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Hi Mark,

I have 2 questions.

1) If Dapol were to approach you for access to your cadds to be used in the development of a 4mm Western would you be prepared to consider helping them (subject to negotiation of mutually acceptable terms)?

2) If they haven't approached you so far, would you be prepared to approach them on behalf of those of us who are sufficiently impressed with the work you have done to believe that it could form the basis of "the most accurate and realistic OO gauge Class 52 ‘Western’ yet manufactured"?

Luke

Weren't there originally going to be a few more of them, Geoff? You could do all the might-have-beens as well! ;) :lol:

According to Precision Labels website, D1074 - D1099 were to be named:

D1074 WESTERN VALIANT

D1075 WESTERN SCEPTRE

D1076 WESTERN DIADEM

D1077 WESTERN JEWEL

D1078 WESTERN CROWN

D1079 WESTERN VICTOR

D1080 WESTERN LUSTRE

D1081 WESTERN EAGLE

D1082 WESTERN HAWK

D1083 WESTERN FALCON

D1084 WESTERN COMET

D1085 WESTERN PLANET

D1086 WESTERN ISLE

D1087 WESTERN METEOR

D1088 WESTERN ZEPHYR

D1089 WESTERN MISTRAL

D1090 WESTERN FLOWER

D1091 WESTERN ROSE

D1092 WESTERN GARLAND

D1093 WESTERN EMBLEM

D1094 WESTERN LEGEND

D1095 WESTERN HERITAGE

D1096 WESTERN FURY

D1097 WESTERN RAPIER

D1098 WESTERN SABRE

D1099 WESTERN JAVELIN

I don't have John Mayo note from Railway Modeller in 2003 to confirm

Luke.

ICA, FEA-B, and Blue spot will be re-released with new running numbers

JNA and IOA wagons will appear in the 3rd quarter alongside MJA and HIA wagons in Freightliner ‘HeavyHaul’ livery

Anybody else notice the statement on timing for these wagons? Sounds like we'll get a glut of wagons that want to be run in block trains.... Surely it would be better to spread them out bit more. Looking forward to them arriving though!

On the Western front, Im thinking that someone, somewhere has been a very naughty little boy.

Alistair

Just a thought before the inevitable 'online with no information froth fest starts'. Prior to the link announcement above, the originator of the JLTRT cads has posted with no negative comment re the link between him and JLTRT, and a link between JLTRT and the manufacturer people are assuming to be involved. Note JLTRT has not named the manufacturer, or the specific product/s involved.

Speculating there may be a link between a recent announcement and JLTRT's whilst not unreasonable, may be incorrect. Lets not forget the potential legal issues that could be involved for the manufacturers we are assuming to be involved, and this forum, as a published/publishing medium.

I was careful not to use Dapols name when I posted the second statement but started to type something else (after I went for a drink) I forgot what I was going to put. It should have read

On the Weston front, I am hoping that they are as good models as the 86, and 67 and that they don't come to closely behind other models that I want, quite glad I didn't get the Farish one for my birthday now.

Im thinking that someone, somewhere has been a very naughty little boy.

I can advise readers that I have spoken to representatives of both parties and that the statement on the JLTRT site does refer to Dapol and the Western. Following the information provided by JLTRT I have sought clarification of the position from Dapol and await further information when DapolDave returns from holiday. Can we please refrain from any speculative comments that could affect either party or this site please.

Thanks,

Is it?, just shows how little people think or know before posting sometimes. :fool_mini:

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__299694

Well it's the morning there, assuming that on his hols :drink_mini: , and seeing you're assuming that it's Dapol that's the manufacturer in question, is his first holiday priority to check RmWeb? ...

If it isn't them, Dapol, they have nothing to answer to.

Andy's made it quite clear he's requested clarification from one possible manufacturer, who just happens to be a member of this forum.

And you appear to assume I don't read or think before I post. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Whilst my comment was posted after 6 that does not mean I assume that Dapol are on here 24/7 nor do I assume Dapol Dave is the only guy in the company who can issue press statements. The confirmation that Andy has had could just as easily have been posted on the Dapol website showing they were aware of the situation and show reassurance to their customers.

The number series is problematic but hey,

D1099 Western Hemisphere

D1100 Western Movies

D1101 Western Super Mare

D1102 Western Daily Press

D1103 Western Union

D1104 Western Australia

D1105 Western Jewish Cemetery

D1106 Western Kentucky

D1107 Western Locomotive Association

D1108 Western Quotes

D1109 Western Values

D1110 Western World

D1111 Western Xia Dynasty

D1112 Western Zoyland

Just to pull away from the WEstern "issue" for a momeny. I'm curious that if the Hall has been developed to include mod and orginal variants. If any though has been given towards how close Dapol is to a Star and Saint. Or is the combination of low tender profile and small cab impractical for the cam loco/tender drive system?

I'm getting excited about N, after giving up on it and move out the the garden with gas fired kettles, I might be tempted to have somethig indoors for the winter months. (to get me really excited and 56xx and 42xx would be lovely)

The number series is problematic but hey,

D1099 Western Hemisphere

D1100 Western Movies

D1101 Western Super Mare

D1102 Western Daily Press

D1103 Western Union

D1104 Western Australia

D1105 Western Jewish Cemetery

D1106 Western Kentucky

D1107 Western Locomotive Association

D1108 Western Quotes

D1109 Western Values

D1110 Western World

D1111 Western Xia Dynasty

D1112 Western Zoyland

And Mahatma Gandhi favourite “D1113 Western Civilisationâ€; now that would be a good idea…

Luke

The announcement on Dapol's web site has now changed:

Luke

+++++++++++

OO Gauge

Western Diesel Hydraulic

Due to popular demand we intend to launch the Class 52 Western Diesel.

4 models will be released this year and are as follows,

D1005 “Western Venturer†BR Blue with full yellow warning panel

D1029 “Western Legionaire†BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel

D1038 “Western Sovereign†BR Green with small yellow warning panels

D1056 “Western Sultan†BR Maroon with full yellow warning panel

Featuring our NEW OO gauge 5 pole skew wound motor, darkened profile wheels, partial low friction mechanism, twin flywheels, directional lighting, lit yellow glow head code panels, DCC Ready 21pin decoder socket on board, accessory bag, fully modelled cab interior, etched name and number plates, interior cab lighting, DCC sound speaker space within fuel tank, etched brass roof grilles with moulded fans beneath and NEM coupling box.

+++++++++++

I'm curious that if the Hall has been developed to include mod and orginal variants. If any though has been given towards how close Dapol is to a Star and Saint. Or is the combination of low tender profile and small cab impractical for the cam loco/tender drive system?

According to DapolDave, bothe original Collett and modified Halls will be catered for in the design with the original Halls appearing first.

Backdating to a Saint would be quite a job. The wheels are larger on the older loco and the cab is the old Churward design with no side windows. However a compatible 3500 gallon tender drive is available from the Ixion Manor/Mogul. The Mogul will also feature the old Churward cab. I suppose if you really wanted you might be able to hack something resembling a Saint out of a Hall and a Mogul.

I don't know about the Star but they were 4-cylinder locos anyway so a Hall would not be a good starting point IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Backdating to a Saint would be quite a job. The wheels are larger on the older loco and the cab is the old Churward design with no side windows.

Even though the wheels are larger the spacings are the same so Dapol could use the same chassis block and develop the Saint from there. I expect that Dapol will have considered the potential for other locos related to the Hall but would watch the sales of the Hall before considering in depth any further developments, and we would not hear about those until they are close to release.

Pmorgan, As to the development of a 56xx, this is more likely to come from Bachmann as they do this in OO but there seems to be a focus on the larger locos at the moment, rather than on tanks.

According to DapolDave, bothe original Collett and modified Halls will be catered for in the design with the original Halls appearing first.

Backdating to a Saint would be quite a job. The wheels are larger on the older loco and the cab is the old Churward design with no side windows. However a compatible 3500 gallon tender drive is available from the Ixion Manor/Mogul. The Mogul will also feature the old Churward cab. I suppose if you really wanted you might be able to hack something resembling a Saint out of a Hall and a Mogul.

I don't know about the Star but they were 4-cylinder locos anyway so a Hall would not be a good starting point IMHO.

The Star is part of the chain that leads to the King, via the Castle. Now, turning a Hall into a County would be relatively easy. (Or, you could possibly turn a B1 into the alternative County proposal. The one with Walschaerts valve gear)

But yes, for a Star, I'd be waiting for a Castle or King, I think. As for Hall to Saint, the main differences are the larger wheels and the older cab. (Tender to one side). Whether they would have attached a different tender to it if had lasted longer... Apparantly in real life, somebody is trying to convert a Hall to a Saint...

• RMweb Premium

Pricing has been released for N gauge, I assume also for OO

N gauge

Hall RRP £107.95

Western RRP £104.95

Class 26 RRP £94.95

Class 56 RRP £104.95

Class 121 RRP £102.59

Class 142 RRP £104.95 (powered) - £54.95 (unpowered)

RRP prices taken from Kernow model centre's website. I'm sure other sites will have similar prices to Kernow.

• RMweb Gold

2011 is going to be an expensive year...I think I will wait until that 'well known company based in Liverpool who wrap their packages in brown paper and string' announce their prices... :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I doubt many of us will be looking for the opportunity to part with the RRP, I think you'd have to buy direct from Dapol's own shop to do that :lol:

Of more interest is the "expected" release dates on some of those items, for me anyway!:

Class 121 - Green: 3rd quarter, Blue / Network South East: 4th quarter. No update on the GWR150 limited edition, but it must be in there somewhere.

Class 142 - Regional Railways / Northern Rail: 2nd quarter, Arriva / Northern Spirit / Tyne & Wear: 4th quarter

Western - 4th quarter

Not 'carved in stone' of course, but possibly a useful guide for the wallet-recovery-plan B)

Regards, Gerry.

Archived