Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

That really is splendid (a bit clean, but splendid, none the less). :)

I take some issue with the idea that this is ungainly too - think of the Webb compound versions of the LNWR 0-8-0 (and especially, the 2-8-0), anything Hughes designed for the L&Y with outside cylinders, Urie's big tanks for the LSWR, the Caley 0-8-0s with the odd axle spacing...); relative to all of those this is elegant. Compared to the works of Wordsell and Raven, however... That said, these locos were from a different epoch of loco' design and the established norms of elegance in loco design hadn't really taken hold. 

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

No visible progress over the last couple of nights (need to be in the right frame of mind for lining!) but I have added some weight and wired it up properly, there's now a 6 pin socket and decoder in the tender, the connection between loco and tender is by a pair of 2 wire plug/sockets, set up so by connecting the 2 on the loco together it will run DC. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

While the 'Green Willie' still needs finishing, I've actually made a start on a layout to run it on, well some buildings for it anyway, For a change I've built a wagon this last week or so. It's a Furness diagram 12 8/10 ton open (51L kit), what I would like to know is whether the number was on the side or only on the cast numberplate on the solebar, the kit says on the bodyside but the HMRS transfers (and I've read on the web somewhere I can't remember) that it's only on the plate. Can anyone help? The period will be 1905-09.

post-7104-0-10755800-1455047297_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

While the 'Green Willie' still needs finishing, I've actually made a start on a layout to run it on, well some buildings for it anyway, For a change I've built a wagon this last week or so. It's a Furness diagram 12 8/10 ton open (51L kit), what I would like to know is whether the number was on the side or only on the cast numberplate on the solebar, the kit says on the bodyside but the HMRS transfers (and I've read on the web somewhere I can't remember) that it's only on the plate. Can anyone help? The period will be 1905-09.

attachicon.gifIMGP9066-001.JPG

Hi Paul, if you email the manufacturer on wagons@511.co.uk, they hold all the reference material for Furness Wagons and may be able to find you an image.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, if you email the manufacturer on wagons@511.co.uk, they hold all the reference material for Furness Wagons and may be able to find you an image.

Kev.

Hi Kevin, I've found a couple of photos of Furness wagons and neither show the number on the side, just the numberplate so I'm quite happy. There doesn't seem to be many photos of them at at all, well useful side on shots anyway.

• RMweb Gold

More wagons from the far west, LNWR this time. The first is to replicate this wagon on the right seen at Blakey Junction,

http://image-archive.org.uk/wp-content/MAX/2011_04/165.jpg

An ex LNWR diagram 4 as seen here,

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag004.php

This is built from the Ratio kit but with replacement axleguards from 51L.

post-7104-0-08491500-1455905156_thumb.jpg

The kit comes as 2 wagons, the dia 4 and a coal wagon, this latter is not much use in the North East so I wondered what I could do with it and a quick look at the wagons listed on the LNWR society website came up with a diagram 1 single plank wagon.

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag001.php

It's the same length body and with a bit of removing of strapping and filling of grooves where the door was and it should give a reasonable representation. I'm intending to build it as the photo on the LNWR site so a wooden brake block will need to be made and the right axleboxes finding, there's only one set of this type in the kit and they're on the dia 4.

post-7104-0-88371900-1455905160_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

More wagons from the far west, LNWR this time. The first is to replicate this wagon on the right seen at Blakey Junction,

http://image-archive.org.uk/wp-content/MAX/2011_04/165.jpg

An ex LNWR diagram 4 as seen here,

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag004.php

This is built from the Ratio kit but with replacement axleguards from 51L.

attachicon.gifIMGP9068-001.JPG

The kit comes as 2 wagons, the dia 4 and a coal wagon, this latter is not much use in the North East so I wondered what I could do with it and a quick look at the wagons listed on the LNWR society website came up with a diagram 1 single plank wagon.

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag001.php

It's the same length body and with a bit of removing of strapping and filling of grooves where the door was and it should give a reasonable representation. I'm intending to build it as the photo on the LNWR site so a wooden brake block will need to be made and the right axleboxes finding, there's only one set of this type in the kit and they're on the dia 4.

attachicon.gifIMGP9069-001.JPG

Is it just me, or is it surprising to see TWO LMS wagons in the upper image. We are talking 1920's so no question of wagon pooling; the Rosedale branch wasn't exactly on the main drag to anywhere, I don't think the ironstone was going too far away so they woyldn't be for outbound traffic, so what traffic would have brought them there. I know there is a cracking pub up there, but even one vehicle's worth is an awful lot of Bass!

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me, or is it surprising to see TWO LMS wagons in the upper image. We are talking 1920's so no question of wagon pooling; the Rosedale branch wasn't exactly on the main drag to anywhere, I don't think the ironstone was going too far away so they woyldn't be for outbound traffic, so what traffic would have brought them there. I know there is a cracking pub up there, but even one vehicle's worth is an awful lot of Bass!

There seem to have been plenty up there when Hayes was up there in '28,

Blakey junction, dated August 28. EDIT- incline top

http://image-archive.org.uk/wp-content/MAX/2011_04/163.jpg

Blowath crossing, third wagon is an LNWR wagon still in LNWR livery, 4th is probably as photo above at Blakey.

http://image-archive.org.uk/wp-content/MAX/2011_04/168.jpg

There is a photo somewhere of 2 LMS liveried wagons on the incline and I don't think it's the LNWR dia 4.

• Like 2

Wagon common user agreements date from 1917 for the GCR, GNR and GER. Most other major railways had  joined in by 1922.

Paul, not sure if you can help. I am going to batch build about 15 NER hoppers. Do you have a etch from Wizzard models of their hopper brake gear and general bits. If you do could you tell me how many wagons each etch would deal with?

I have figured out I will be using 1923 RCH etched W irons and some of the NER wagon buffers. Though I need to figure out how to spring them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress on the Dia 1 wagon is very slow - but I am working on Greyscroft as well.

Axleguards fitted along with buffers, a 'wooden' brake block (40thou plastic, a strip of brass and 2 wire pins) and long brake lever.

post-7104-0-90342800-1457565363_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hello, 

Really enjoying your thread. 1275 is lovely. I've initially followed you in the choice of PP Light Grass Green green for my Aerolite model. However, I was at Missenden last weekend, in Ian Rathbone's class, and he'd just painted a Fletcher 2-4-0 for a customer and he said he'd used PP "Urie" Green. I'm guessing he'd taken his piece of brass with all his greens sprayed on it and held it against the preserved loco, so we can certainly take it to the bank as far as the preserved Fletcher is concerned. You can see the results on his website: 

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gallery-5---work-in-progress.php

Of course, there are all sorts of possible objections to this, but it might be worth a try in future? I'll certainly try it on Aerolite - I hadn't gone so far that I can't switch colours.  

The other one of your suggestions that I've tried is the sandblaster, but I can't get it to work. Did you have any issues? Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I've been a victim of cowboys selling junk knowing I won't want to pay to send it back to China. The machine only blows out grit when I first depress the operating button, and then stops. By repeatedly pressing the button I just managed to remove some markings from a Sharpie pen - after about two minutes! Am I doing something wrong? Does yours spray constantly? I know you used yours in the clean-up of 1275 - did it remove solder? 

Thanks in advance for your help - and for the thread. 

David. 

Edited by Daddyman

Hello, 

The other one of your suggestions that I've tried is the sandblaster, but I can't get it to work. Did you have any issues? Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I've been a victim of cowboys selling junk knowing I won't want to pay to send it back to China. The machine only blows out grit when I first depress the operating button, and then stops. By repeatedly pressing the button I just managed to remove some markings from a Sharpie pen - after about two minutes! Am I doing something wrong? Does yours spray constantly? I know you used yours in the clean-up of 1275 - did it remove solder? 

Thanks in advance for your help - and for the thread. 

David. 

From your description of how your sandblaster is working suggests that the air supply is inadequate

before you press the trigger the air pressure is high then it's immediately dropping because the air supply cant keep up with the air volume required by the sandblaster

Needs bigger compressor preferably with a tank

Regards

Geoff Cook

• RMweb Premium

From your description of how your sandblaster is working suggests that the air supply is inadequate

before you press the trigger the air pressure is high then it's immediately dropping because the air supply cant keep up with the air volume required by the sandblaster

Needs bigger compressor preferably with a tank

Regards

Geoff Cook

Thanks, but compressor has a tank and was at 60psi. I don't think the problem is with the air supply, but with the trigger mechanism.