Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Got on really well with the lining tonight, the boiler's done, right hand side of cab and tender.

post-7104-0-99567900-1449704033_thumb.jpg

Also started with the edge lining, the separate black and white lines for the straight lining around the sandboxes and the curved broad black and thin white over it for the splashers.

post-7104-0-93135300-1449704037.jpg

post-7104-0-34055300-1449704383.jpg

post-7104-0-99567900-1449704033_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-93135300-1449704037.jpg

post-7104-0-34055300-1449704383.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

and as such; missionaries will be expected to give many free trinkets & discounts to the local ignoarti.

and then cast away any coverings from your various organs of locomotion (walk bare foot) to travel but a few hundred yards from the venue to pay homage at Dial Cottage

https://goo.gl/maps/wpaLK991xGK2

to the past residents, Mr George and Mr Robert Stephenson (Engineers) without whom we would have no railways. Tiz here you will be expected to kneel in the local mud and generally bow in the direction of the Sundial.

Failure to fulfill this missionary duty will result in the penance of decamping to the local hostelry known as the Brandling Villa (So named after the well known 19 century railway promoters) where for atonement, ye shall purchase some of the many and varied ales for both me and my heathen followers for the rest of the day. (For those of a stingy nature from south of the River Tees beers & alcoholic beverages are sold in the convenient measure of 1/3 of a pint).

For a further small inducements, steps may also be taken by one of my followers, that could lead to many female nursing staff from the local hospital turning up at said hostelry. (They like toy twains.)

P

According to a previous post, as you won't be at the exhibition, you won't get to sample my trinkets and bric a brac. I'll still have a bash at sorting the local women out though.

Before the organisers get a bit twitchy about losing income due to yours and Barry O's non appearance, I have specially arranged a contingent of fellow DEFine modellers to fill the gap, in fact all being well there should be three so I expect some commission as an appreciation of my efforts.

Mike.

According to a previous post, as you won't be at the exhibition, 

No, no. Just agreed that attendance would be slightly less palatable due to parameters outside my control. :mocking_mini:

Glad your fellow Define modelers will be helping you fill the gaps. They tell me you use many, many  tubes of green stuff.

Re: commissions. I'm still waiting for the appearance of that rarest of commissions, the 35t GLW tank chassis. How many years has it been coming...   :wink_mini:

So all being well, I'll see you at the weekend.

P

Paul the loco is coming on fine. Lining from those folk at Fox I presume?

Paul,

The livery on that 1001 is beautiful. Will you leave it 'pristine' or will you weather it. I believe that the Q5's, when originally built, were also finished in this green lined livery and must have looked lovely even if they were humble 'coal draggers'.

Lovely model and a great thread.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

The livery on that 1001 is beautiful. Will you leave it 'pristine' or will you weather it. I believe that the Q5's, when originally built, were also finished in this green lined livery and must have looked lovely even if they were humble 'coal draggers'.

Lovely model and a great thread.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

It will have a bit of weathering, we're going back to the days when locos were looked after.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It really is a lovely model of an odd looking loco but if anything, it's oddness makes it all the nicer.

Would they put much effort into cleaning a loco that spent it's final years atop a moor?

• RMweb Gold

It really is a lovely model of an odd looking loco but if anything, it's oddness makes it all the nicer.

Would they put much effort into cleaning a loco that spent it's final years atop a moor?

I think they would have looked after them, they were a self contained little fleet with no chance of loosing them to another shed and they had the staff to look after them. Looking at the photo of it, it looks fairly clean, not spotless but definitely not 1960s 9F.

The men were very proud of their steeds and looked after them in those days, my grandad told me that Guards had their own vans  and used to clean and varnish them, also having bits of carpet in the doorways, they also could get "stained glass" transfers that they applied to the windows.....

And I'll be glad when that exhibition is over.

Why? Have you had a change of plans? Will you be gracing the plains of North Tyneside with your presence? I can put your name down for one of my guided tours of the local pit heaps. I'm sure Mike will be first to rubricate into attending one of the illuminating jaunts.

P

• RMweb Premium

Back to the cleanliness of the locos, this one on the Rosedale branch seems by the look of the sandbox lining to be quite clean indeed.

One thing I have noticed, in my recent browsing of photos from the pre-group era, (tastefully liveried blackberry black engines, not green stuff) is that often the locos appear clean, with an oily sheen I guess from being polished up with an oily rag, but often the tenders seem quite grubby. Don't know if the same was true of other railways?