FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

I'll give it a go.

It does work! You just have to work out by trial and error how far to pull them out for your minimum radius curve. I have a min 3'6" and I found that just 3mm was ample. I like the close coupled result. Another solution is to change the buffers for sprung ones, which would give really good close coupling, but that is extreme. Has anyone tried that yet?

On the subject of couplings someone posted a comment about a replacing the couplings with longer Hornby ones and then using Bachmann NEM pockets with them - would it be possible to post the part numbers for those items?

Cheers

Brian

• RMweb Gold

In modern large business today, commercial largesse and goodwill is overruled and overseen by the accountants and commercial lawyers. The numbers on the spreadsheet will always be come first for the men in suits.

I don't wear a suit...

Mike

I do (sometimes)!

To be fair, certainly in the UK you are required to enforce your trademarks, copyright etc. If you do not then you lose control of them. Which is a bit of a disaster if you can't protect your logo.

It is not about the money necessarily, but protecting Intellectual Property. A number of high profile outfits have lost very valuable rights over their designs or brands by not enforcing their rights. So no one can afford not to take action.

I'm more sceptical about the EWS livery - its not my era but when buying Bachmann air brake stock I always find the EWS liveries seem to not sell as quickly and most remain available when the A and B versions of Railfreight/Bauxite etc are being released...

Impossible to tell on that basis alone - I speak hypothetically of course, but for all we know a typical batch of EWS liveried examples might consist of 10,000 units, compared to say only 500 in Railfreight/Bauxite.  Reduced prices on any product aren't always a guaranteed indication of an overall poor seller, they could simply be surplus stock at the end of a very long run.

EWS and Dutch liveries for me please  :)

Reduced prices on any product aren't always a guaranteed indication of an overall poor seller, they could simply be surplus stock at the end of a very long run.

I agree entirely but its the sheer numbers of EWS versions with reduced prices that makes me sceptical

Looking at what Bachmann have done: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/branchline_products_by_item_no_rev11.pdf(and ignoring ltd editions)

The VGA in EWS livery has had 6 runs! (which is crazy, when that's such a rare livery on those wagons - the counts for the other production liveries appear to be Speedlink Red 3 runs, RfD yellow 5 runs, Trainsrail 2 runs)

The MEA in EWS has had 7 runs (coal sector 6, Mainline 5, Loadhaul 1? - know they have done one, there is one listed as "black", but it's listed as Mainline, which I think is an error in the list?)

The HEA in EWS has had 6 runs (Bauxite 4, RF Red 9, Sector (excl nuke barrier) 2, Mainline 3, Transrail 1)  

The OBA in EWS has had 3 runs (Railfreight red 3, Plasmor 1)

Not sure those numbers "prove" that EWS as a livery doesn't sell, as it seems to be re-run pretty often - if it didn't sell, why do Bachmann keep re-running the livery!?! 

My suggestion would be that you see those knocked down, not due to there not being demand, but due to demand not being as strong after lots and lots of runs. 

maybe a ltd edition run of EWS ( but to be fair all the wagons are limited runs there are only 300 of each number produced), the problem would be that licensing costs would have to go on top of the model therefore pushing the price up, maybe Hughie would look into this if there was enough demand and if the interested parties wanted to put some commitment in up front like the n gauge pendolino project.

just a thought,

Richard.

Good point I was wondering if there was a crowdfunding type option for some of the liveries that otherwise wouldn't be commercially viable/too risky

One livery that hasn't been mentioned (I don't think) is Satlink - Modelrail have produced a load of different Satlink liveried items and some look to have taken some time to sell through

Brian

girlinb asked about part numbers for replacement nem pockets and longer couplings. I used Bachmann pockets from either 36-027 straight couplings x10 or 36-030 cranked couplings x10. The pockets are the same and as you'll be left with the couplings, best to choose which version your likely to use on other models. The longer couplings were Hornby part R8219 which contain 10 couplings without pockets. These are all pre packed products sold in model retail shops. Checking the Peters Spares site there is listed a set of 10 Hornby long couplings with nem pockets as spare part number X9289, which is a cheaper option, however is showing as out of stock

• RMweb Premium

The EWS logo, is that protected just in the Gill Sans and Helvetica font, or all variations? I've seen some wagon examples with the gold 'EWS' applied in a painted stencil format together with stencil TOPS panels over the maroon background, wonder if that might be a possible get-around for licencing?

There's always two views as well, from a buying perspective you might be looking for key liveries which are attractive and good to go for your layout, from a modelling perspective you might be after plain, fairly blank canvas liveries with minimal branding to remove for a complete reworking into something unique, with rust aplenty!

Really looking forward to the Dutch versions, this will be another great 'blank canvas' just like the red Railfreight version, can't wait!

Random thought on licensing - years back, United Parcel Service did not allow anyone to use their image for any reason, so when a manufacturer wanted to model one of their distinctive drop-frame piggyback trailers in HO they offered them with a decal set, with two options (from memory) of "United Postal Service" and "United Parcel System" - neatly avoiding putting UPS's name on the product, but allowing the user to selectively cut the decal sheet to letter them prototypically.

So - paint it maroon, and throw in some decals that say NEWS for any prospective purchaser to use as they see fit, but obviously not for the purpose of modelling an EWS wagon? ;)

Looking at what Bachmann have done: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/branchline_products_by_item_no_rev11.pdf(and ignoring ltd editions)

The VGA in EWS livery has had 6 runs! (which is crazy, when that's such a rare livery on those wagons - the counts for the other production liveries appear to be Speedlink Red 3 runs, RfD yellow 5 runs, Trainsrail 2 runs)

I would have considered that pretty solid evidence that EWS livery does indeed sell, as it's surely common sense that Bachmann wouldn't have considered a sixth production run if the previous five hadn't sold well?!  That would equate to commercial suicide.

As for six runs being "crazy" when there might be few prototypes, well from a business angle, if the product sells then it ain't crazy - just good business.  Simples!  ;)

• RMweb Gold

I know that there were only ever a handful in Network Rail yellow but I suspect they would also sell well, there seems to be a steady market in various yellow items, even when they are not totally accurate.

Very pleased with mine and I fixed the coupling problem with ease with Hornby ones.

Many thanks Hugh,

Godfrey

Hi Hugh

Ordered 461023 last night as 460660 was feeling a bit lonely. Really pleased they have been a success for you, can't be a lot left now.

Trying to think of a believable solution why some CO2 tanks would end up in the Highlands of Scotland!!

Looking forward to the Dutch versions now.

All the best

Marcus

the tanks in the consists of the Highland main line shots are not Co2 tanks they are LPG tanks,dont remember Co2 tanks further north than Thornton.Also ed is a Loadhaul liveried SPAs  which were SEAHARE and had the doors welded shut for departmental use

the tanks in the consists of the Highland main line shots are not Co2 tanks they are LPG tanks,dont remember Co2 tanks further north than Thornton.Also ed is a Loadhaul liveried SPAs  which were SEAHARE and had the doors welded shut for departmental use

post-3522-0-39002000-1421358716.jpg

Archived