Kernow Adams O2

Thanks for that.

Any chance of a head on shot?

Basically cylinder cover looks fine in its size and position. The distance between the cylinder cover and bottom of the smokebox door does not.

Using the two circular hatches on the sanboxes, the bottom of the door roughly lines up half way down the top half of the hatch.

On the model, the bottom of the door is much nearer the line of the top of the hatch. Might the door be fractionally too small? This problem was also noticable on the CAD. Any chance of a head on cad vs prototype pic (or even a 50/50 splice). this is probably the only way to get to the core

Edited by G-BOAF

Further to, and acknowleging the perspectives are not a total match, I'm very inclined to say the smokebox door could be a fraction larger in diameter. Having done a rough splice scaling the width of the smokebox, and distance from top of cylinder cover to top of smokebox door.

Hazarding a guess, might the curve at the edge of the smokebox door confused the software used to convert the laser scan to object, and resulted in a slightly too small smokebox door.

Dave I've PM'd you the splice images, as probably not fair splashing something crude up in the public forum at this stage.

• RMweb Premium

If these are engineering test shots doesnt that mean the moulds are cut and in fact these test shots are really for making sure it all moulds well and comes out correctly .

These are engineering prototypes.  Test shots if you prefer.  They would be from the tool to be used but it isn't in its finalised form yet.  These shots allow for corrections to be made by adding or removing metal as required.  It adds time and cost to the process but helps us to get the bet possible model as the end product.  In this case as Kernow is commissioning the locos it is they who say when they are satisfied and when production can commence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like the parcel reported missing in the care of Royal Mail has been delayed rather than cancelled.  We apologise to waiting modellers for the late arrival of this sample ..... ;)

• Like 1

Certainly looks a good model and looking forward to receiving my two that are on order :-)

However I am concerned about the choice of coreless motors` have large DC layout with feedback controllers and have been warned before about their use, I am sure I cant be in the minority here using feedback and DC control there must be other modellers wondering if the new locos will work or not. If you read this Dave I have Trax controllers which I have found to be superior to the gaugemaster ones we had previously, Hope the O2's like them !

Jim

Don't think it's been mentioned but Kernow has put up a video on their Facebook page of this first test sample, seems to run well at a constant speed, they have not done anymore in depth tests like slow running ect... but certainly looks good.

Hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=742268829148000&set=vb.207521425956079&type=2&theater

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have absolutely no need of one of these I model late 70s early 80s but I think it would keep my brass kit 05 company.

Yes I have ONE IoW loco and now want two!

Kernow's newsletter this week includes a link to a video of the O2 running around the shop window layout.

What is that 'clunk' when the loco runs through the point nearest to the camera ?

Floating bogie wheels, B2B, or coupling fouling ?

What is that 'clunk' when the loco runs through the point nearest to the camera ?

There's a jerk in the video at that point so it's difficult to tell (and seemed fine on its second pass) but as mentioned in the newsletter "please remember there is much more testing and endurance running to be carried out yet.  ".

• RMweb Premium

Knowing the layout in question personally I would suggest it is only the normal presentation of the driving wheels to the plastic frog.  On the second circuit which doesn't have the slight jerk in the playback there seems to be no jerk, jump, coupling clip / foul or any other errant running of the loco through the point so I am left to conclude that the "clunk" is nothing more than the wheel encountering the normal gap in the rail over the frog being picked up on a very sensitive microphone.

There's a jerk in the video at that point so it's difficult to tell (and seemed fine on its second pass) but as mentioned in the newsletter "please remember there is much more testing and endurance running to be carried out yet.  ".

Andy, I have slowed down the video to frame by frame and the leading driving wheel (on the 2nd pass) actually lifts as it passes through the frog of the point, this is probably the point or simple B2B adjustment on the loco and as you say further testing will prevail. It certainly looks like the locos will be good 'uns' ! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...