Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably, I give up.

I have nothing more to add to this thread. Carry on, grind your axes.

• RMweb Premium

Regrettably, I give up.

I have nothing more to add to this thread. Carry on, grind your axes.

If you're sufficiently concerned with the way the thread is going, report it to the moderators/Andy. They can take a whole thread view and choose to clean it of posts that are not relevant to the topic. If necessary, any reasoned posts within the junk could perhaps be moved to a new thread dealing with the issue of model vs prototype fidelity during the design and development phase.

Er, right then. But, warts and all, does anyone have an idea when the production run might take place, and therefore when we can get our dirty hands on one or three? Have the pre-orders sold out? I only pre-ordered one (IOW BR late emblem) but now wish I had ordered another two. 

I note there was an option on the wish list poll for specific IOW ex-LBSC carriages. I hope many of you have voted for these, so I can have some one day...... :triniti:

• RMweb Gold

Er, right then. But, warts and all, does anyone have an idea when the production run might take place, and therefore when we can get our dirty hands on one or three? Have the pre-orders sold out? I only pre-ordered one (IOW BR late emblem) but now wish I had ordered another two. 

I note there was an option on the wish list poll for specific IOW ex-LBSC carriages. I hope many of you have voted for these, so I can have some one day...... :triniti:

Try the Kernow website for information and ordering Mike (it's worth signing up for their newsletter).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As Mike says you can simply order via the Kernow website and all livery versions announces so far are available.

The project is at the livery detail and approval stage at the moment before production can start but it's the home straight now.

• Like 1

Being more of a SECR fan than a LSWR one, I really hesitated over the IOW version in addition to mainland one I ordered. I have never been to the isle of White and so have not seen the sole survivor. However there are hints abound of a loco that I am very familiar with the preserved one even stomping in my stamping grounds. And if it is true and Kernow do a good a job as the O2, there will certainly be a pair for me.

On the subject of comparing models of photos to photos of the real thing, it should be noted in an earlier post on the thread, there is a photo which gives impressions that the several EPs are all different lengths. Camera's do lie!

• Like 4

Some time around 1960 I, and two other eleven year old boys (Roger and Glyn) went by ourselves to the IoW for the day with the intention of spotting all the O2s...

We managed all those actually on the island, one was away for repair. Pretty things.

• Like 3

Thanks to Mike, and his pics on page 8 of the O2's in their raw state, all I can say is that I'm mystified by those that have to quibble. Having built 3 from Wills kits over 20 years ago for my old Bembridge exhibition layout (RM September 1994), they are far better than what I managed to attain. If I was still into Southern I'd invest in a few, and to those suffering from AR,  - just shut it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm mystified by those that have to quibble.

I think it is a form of benign compulsion.

As I see it, on the one hand we have those people who are, I'm sure, quite genuinely concerned that there are still imperfections that could be eradicated. In the middle are any number of us think the EPs look great. On the other hand is Kernow, which has shelled out substantial wonga to get this far, and deserves to make a return soon, so they can go on investing in other future models to our delight, TVM!

A line in the development process has to be drawn at some point, and many of us think we've reached it.

Thanks to Mike, and his pics on page 8 of the O2's in their raw state, all I can say is that I'm mystified by those that have to quibble. Having built 3 from Wills kits over 20 years ago for my old Bembridge exhibition layout (RM September 1994), they are far better than what I managed to attain. If I was still into Southern I'd invest in a few, and to those suffering from AR,  - just shut it.

Are there pictures of your Bembridge layout somewhere on here or on the web Paul - I would dearly love to see that.

Are there pictures of your Bembridge layout somewhere on here or on the web Paul - I would dearly love to see that.

I have included a few pics on certain threads over the years, but there has been no specific topic on Bembridge, I wonder if it works if look via 'search'?. The layout has been featured in the second BRM Annual( with thanks to Tony W.), and the book 'Layouts For Limited Spaces' by Nigel Adams, which is now ,I believe, out of print, by was sold in it's thousands via the Railway Book Club, besides the September 1994 Railway Modeller. I could always dig a few photos out, and create a new topic if need be. The layout was sold on to Mark Pretious of Alton MRC about 6 or 7 years ago. Thanks for your interest. - Paul M.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 3

I have included a few pics on certain threads over the years, but there has been no specific topic on Bembridge, I wonder if it works if look via 'search'?. I could always dig a few photos out, and create a new topic if need be. The layout was sold on to Mark Pretious of Alton MRC about 6 or 7 years ago. Thanks for your interest. - Paul M.

Yes Please!! I would be particularly interested in how you managed to construct the station building - my father worked there in the 1930's hence the interest - I have simple plans of it, with an elevation of one side, but it looks daunting to scratch build!

• Like 1

I have included a few pics on certain threads over the years, but there has been no specific topic on Bembridge, I wonder if it works if look via 'search'?. The layout has been featured in the second BRM Annual( with thanks to Tony W.), and the book 'Layouts For Limited Spaces' by Nigel Adams, which is now ,I believe, out of print, by was sold in it's thousands via the Railway Book Club, besides the September 1994 Railway Modeller. I could always dig a few photos out, and create a new topic if need be. The layout was sold on to Mark Pretious of Alton MRC about 6 or 7 years ago. Thanks for your interest. - Paul M.

I helped you operate Bembridge at a Wolverhampton M R C show way back (10 or 12 years?) Did you Know it is now in the land that time forgot (Wales) near to TerryD1471's Hest Bank?

It was good to see the 02's on Kernows stand at the Farnham show today albeit at a distance.

Can't wait for them to be released as will put my kit built one to shame although a very nice one Injust haven't added all the details.

I managed a very close look at them while chatting late on Sunday afternoon.  To be brutally honest, I know a lot of people who would willingly amputate their own right arms to get an NER 0-4-4T even 75% as good as this O2.  As it is, they're gnawing their fingernails almost to the wrist waiting for someone to anounce ANY NER loco beyond the Q6...

The prototypes are truly stunning.  Like a very large number of modellers I've talked to who DON'T model Southern I'm truly jealous of those lucky enough to have such a loco produced for them.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

Yes Please!! I would be particularly interested in how you managed to construct the station building - my father worked there in the 1930's hence the interest - I have simple plans of it, with an elevation of one side, but it looks daunting to scratch build!

I'm waiting for a reply from Tony Wright, as I've PM'ed him to ask if I can use a photo, and a diagram he used in the article in the second BRM Annual, I'll give him a few more days :-) .

I'm waiting for a reply from Tony Wright, as I've PM'ed him to ask if I can use a photo, and a diagram he used in the article in the second BRM Annual, I'll give him a few more days :-) .

Many thanks Paul - I have found a number of photos of it spread around the forum, partly old posts of yours and many from its existing owner - but nothing from the latter as a post or website devoted to the layout, even on the Alton MRG site. The layout is exquisite. Any comments on how you went about scratch building the station building would be very much appreciated, especially that horribly complicated roof. I will need to build something to go with my O2's!

Dave is there much of a difference in "re-numbering" a loco ?

Now Kernow will, presumably, order as large a batch of each initial model/number as they think they can easily sell.  Sooner or later they may think it a good idea to re-run one or several of the options.  Now a straight re-run will be an easy quote for the production manufacturer, but IF Kernow wanted to change a running number would that add a couple of quid to the price, or would it be a major expense ?

I say this out of pure self-interest, as I would like a second "late-crest" mainland model and I wonder what the economics would be for Kernow to order one AT A LATER DATE.

Hi Phil,

Changing a running number is relatively easy, but your not, due to the way these are printed, just producing a new single digit, but a new tampo pad with all the numbers on it.

So to change numbers, say of 12345 to 12346 it's easy, but costs for a new pad with 12346 on it, plus the artwork, approval models and associated postage across the world etc, so it's only relevant cost wise for a batch of 250-300, or else anything less and the price will go up quite a lot accordingly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

I'm surprised to see people now apparently thinking it's a simple case of re-numbering and re-naming the product, or changing the number for a further run of the same product.  Yet only days ago there was quite acrimonious discussion on here about the model's accuracy to a millimetre or so of some small ventiilator holes?!

My understanding is there were differences between IOW 02 locos at any given time, and even for the same loco at different times.  About a month ago I was enquiring on here which IOW 02(s) could suitably be represented by repainting one of the two proposed BR (IOW) liveried locos, as - inexplicably to me - no SR-liveried IOW loco is being produced.  I only got one response, and to be honest I couldn't make much sense of that though I was grateful to the poster for at least trying.

But surely changing the number is among the least and easiest of the issues - the point we need clarity on must be:  changing it to what?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

First decorated samples (the IoW pair) are being shown by Kernow's MD on his personal Facebook feed for those who are subscribed.  

I have to say they look extremely good and am very tempted indeed to order an IoW one to complement the two mainland versions already coming.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised to see people now apparently thinking it's a simple case of re-numbering and re-naming the product, or changing the number for a further run of the same product.  Yet only days ago there was quite acrimonious discussion on here about the model's accuracy to a millimetre or so of some small ventiilator holes?!

My understanding is there were differences between IOW 02 locos at any given time, and even for the same loco at different times.  About a month ago I was enquiring on here which IOW 02(s) could suitably be represented by repainting one of the two proposed BR (IOW) liveried locos, as - inexplicably to me - no SR-liveried IOW loco is being produced.  I only got one response, and to be honest I couldn't make much sense of that though I was grateful to the poster for at least trying.

But surely changing the number is among the least and easiest of the issues - the point we need clarity on must be:  changing it to what?

The most obvious external differences were between the Adams and Drummond boilers, the latter easily distinguishable by the safety valves in the dome. I have practically every book published on IoW railways and will be using these as reference material for renumbering.

AFAIK, Calbourne was the only O2 to have the steel plate welded to the bottom of the side tanks, so this model cannot be used to represent another member of the class. However, there are more than enough photographs around for you to find a suitable prototype. As always, a little time invested in research will be time well spent.