Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

I have just been looking at the Kernow site and see that all the O2's (Mainland and IOW versions) are advertised on there with a promised delivery date of a maximum of 28 days, is this right?

Loconuts

No - it also says

"Please ignore the automatically-generated stock message - this model is not yet available!  See further information about this model at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/109/Adams_O2_Steam_Locomotive"

I was just wondering if any updates were due soon on this front - seems I was pre-empted! Those decorated samples are sublime to say the least. Sorely tempted to add another to accompany my order of No.207, but the wallet can't take it at the moment!

Now, if they announced a Malachite green version............

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still a few tweaks to be made to both the new Kernow website in terms of stock availability and the O2s in terms of detail as Muz mentions.  But I am really looking forward to these with two on order even though the layout they are intended for is on indefinite hold in terms of its own completion.

As an aside once these arrive the gate stock and D600s take a step forward in the production process and are also eagerly awaited.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see a slight problem with a coupling rod - someone had better replace that pic  I think ;)

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I agree that the coupling rod 'wheels are obviously not aligned correctly but it should be noted that these will be un motored samples just for use as livery samples.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit these are not quite what I expected. I have one on order but am not overly impressed at the moment. Hopefully the production examples may look a bit better.

The finish seems a bit flat. Also not too sure about the plumbing for the Westinghouse pump seems a bit spaghetti like and the coupling rods appear a bit chunky........

I ,of course, stand to be corrected.

Rob.

Thanks for posting those.  A slight query re. the BR liveries, the white lining SEEMS to be overwhelming the red lining.   Is that "right" or is it just a trick of the light ?

• RMweb Gold

I have two BR examples on order.

The relationship between the grey and red elements of the lining looks a bit out of whack in these pictures and I'm not keen on the rather toy-like coupling rods.

Also, the "bulled-up" cab handrails and the pipes to the Westinghouse pump on mine will change colour PDQ.

Other than that, I think they look pretty good.

John

• RMweb Premium

If we look at the Kernow newsletter they detail the corrections required on each model.  The requirements differ.  Splasher lining is among the items picked up for correction.  The connecting rod would have been scanned and should be correct within the scale of modelling.  I'm sure one of us would be able to comment with authority on the pump but it looks OK to me.

• RMweb Gold

I have the same issue, Peter. To be honest, if it comes to a choice, I am afraid the Adams Radial will be where my money goes. The 02 appears to be a fine model but like many, I do not have infinite finances...

Rob

Indeed the onslaught of small southern locos over the next several months kept me from ordering a second class 71. Initially I ordered one Main land O2, however after seeing the differences of the IOW version a few months back, I ordered a second. Then the Bachmann E4s came out (quickly shifting the well tank out of the cabinet - sorry Dave)....

Then the 415s radials were announced, due this year too, and that was it, no second 71. Dare I add the 700 and S15 too? Oh, and that C1 Atlantic and Stirling single.....

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Indeed the onslaught of small southern locos over the next several months kept me from ordering a second class 71. Initially I ordered one Main land O2, however after seeing the differences of the IOW version a few months back, I ordered a second. Then the Bachmann E4s came out (quickly shifting the well tank out of the cabinet - sorry Dave)....

Then the 415s radials were announced, due this year too, and that was it, no second 71. Dare I add the 700 and S15 too? Oh, and that C1 Atlantic and Stirling single.....

You and I both.........

Rob

I would prefer the livery of K 2105 on a K 2104. I don't suppose the cab doors are easily removable. Hopefully no IoW modifications. I have both a K 2104 and K 2107 on order. These are for postwar Padstow Bodmin services before nationalization.

The BR lining and emblem stripper are ready and waiting. HMRS Transfers standing by to reproduce #200.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, looked long and hard once again at the a test photos. I find that I have decided not to go ahead with an O2. It all seems a bit ' heavy ' looking. Sorry Dave but the reality is that, like many here, I have to buy only what I need and not what I would like.

Simple economics.

So the Adams Radial and 700 have my vote....with the S15 and an Exeter later in the year....For now....

Rob

If I were a gambling man........

My guess, inspired I admit by wishful thinking, would be that a lot more of actual combinations will be produced before the tooling is laid to rest. The prototypes were numerous and widely distributed, and almost perfect for a smaller layout without facilities for turning. (like MoF). Such combinations - all desirable to me - could easily satisfy my loco needs for years to come. Only the 0415 class could seriously threaten that, or a train pack pairing with a particular set of coaches.

PB

Correction I have K2104 and K2106 on order not K2107.  Yes, Peter,  I expect that sooner or later the O2's will appear in SR 1940's black for the mainland non-push pull versions. But they are the critical engine for my Padstow re-creation and I don't want to wait another year or two. Unfortunately my UK SR enthusiasm is flagging at the moment in favor of building freight car kits for my 1953-54 period Southern Pacific San Ramon branch Walnut Creek station (layout not yet built).  US kit building for prototype modeling is making somewhat of a comeback. Parts may come from several manufacturers and need to be assembled, painted and decaled for very specific prototypes. 

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The livery errors are all listed and the rods don't look any bigger than any other OO loco so is it just the short wheelbase that's making them look bigger? Not enough to worry me as I'd change the rods rather than attempt to match the rest of the build. Have to say they don't jump out as wrong to me and I'm very tempted to add a second SR one ;)