Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

A quick reprise of fitting precision labels codes, which I've been gradually doing to my Dapol fleet.

I would say under no circumstances try and gain access to the box by removing the flimsy light stalks and their mounts - they will invariably snap off. I simply peeled back the foam light baffle directly ontop of the headcode box. sufficient space can be created to do the fittings, and can simply be tucked back in place. In any case, replacement foam baffles can be obtained from DCC supplies if you screw them up a bit.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

To get into the headcode 'box' I moved the cab interiors back towards the centre of the locomotive - just a few millimetres is all that's needed. The headcode box and marker lights can then be slid straight backwards before lifting the foam to gain access. While not essential, this does give a little more room to work in and doesn't damage the light guides to the marker lights.

I keep looking at mine and thinking I am still not happy with the Heljan class 53 headcodes I used. I may have to try again soon with something better..

• RMweb Premium

Similarly to Jeff's above my cab inserts were carefully removed in their entirety in order to fit interior numerals and train crew.  Both at one end only of each 52 as they aren't normally required to shunt though the 22s have drivers at one end but internal head codes at both; they also have couplers at both ends on three of the four to permit shunting and double-heading.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Class 52 D1058 Western Nobleman was delivered this morning, just had been running it in for about 20 mins when it slowed right down and stopped with strong smell of electrical burning back to supplier in the morning

Hmmm that's worrying. I ran mine for a while in each direction, but not that long. Maybe I'll give it a proper run soon.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me the correct headcode for a Plymouth bound parcels train in the mid 60s please.I'm well out of my depth here.The model currently has 1B 27

Hi Rob

1st digit 1, 3 or 4 dependant on stock and timings, 5 if empty vans

Second digit depends on where it starts from - outside WR = V, within WR = C

Third and fourth digit dependant on time within daily sequence of trains - so trains early in day low numbers eg 1B01 Padd - Worcester van arrive Worcester v early morning

So don't  think you will be far out with 3C01 for a train originating in London or Bristol

Oh hang on - heres one for you, 1964 with D868 at Bristol TM backing on to a parcels train for Plymouth, 3C04

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireman_fotter/5920861159/

Thanks to fireman photter on flick for that one

Phil

• Like 2

The previous post got me worried. Sorry about that Chopper 20059. I know there's a warning in the instructions about running on DC, being pure DC only... so I decided for the simple option and hooked up my Nobleman to my DCC's rolling road on "Napier Lane Sidings"... remember that one?, some cushioning either side should the unthinkable happen and we get a topple... and hook up a PP3 to the track. Apart from getting worried when the lights dimmed and it slowed (sound familiar) and then stop - battery flat (it wasn't a new one)... I put in a new battery and off it went... it's now run constantly for an hour in each direction and no heat or problems at all. I'm not boasting or being nasty at all... I just think that they're possibly not all at fault and mine seems (fingers crossed) to be fine... for now.

post-8351-0-43262400-1390256143_thumb.jpg

Anyway... good luck with yours out there. I've a bit I'll be doing to mine, at some point, but it looks nice as it is for now. Phew!

Jon

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two questions...

1) Given that Dapol are no longer applying a black-rim finish on their headcode glass, for those of us that fit headcode numbers "behind" the glass rather than apply to the front, has anyone worked out how to prevent excessive light-bleed around the edges of the headcode panels?

2) Anyone have a list of Blue Westerns FYE that had Laira depot stickers applied? I note that these were applied at later overhauls, so say, Western Enterprise didn't have any (none seen on scrapheap photos or trawling books/flickr), but Western Fusilier did.

>Looking for suitable alternate naming options for the as released current model of Western Nobleman.

Many thanks in advance

Edited by GraemeWatson

• RMweb Premium

has anyone worked out how to prevent excessive light-bleed around the edges of the headcode panels?

This part of anyone has not but accepts the lit edges around the numerals as something which occurred in real life anyway and which therefore does not look un-authentic.  I'm happy with how mine are but to each their own.

1) Given that Dapol are no longer applying a black-rim finish on their headcode glass, for those of us that fit headcode numbers "behind" the glass rather than apply to the front, has anyone worked out how to prevent excessive light-bleed around the edges of the headcode panels?

I have disconnected the lights. They are far too bright to be realistic.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1

...... I just think that they're possibly not all at fault and mine seems (fingers crossed) to be fine... for now.

Mine went to P4 and has been fired up every now and then. No problems so far. Some of the light output looks like Las Vegas - is there not some way of dimming it?

It certainly ran well in OO form in the Peterborough shop.

Still waiting for Justin Newitt / Rumney Models to go ahead with the Western sprung bogie kit - hopefully in the next couple of years.

EDIT - and do something about revolving headcode characters.

Edited by Horsetan

...the loco managed less than 30 seconds on the test track before there was a loud pop, with a bright flash visible through the engine room window. This was followed by smoke drifting up through the fan vents, as if a smoke unit was fitted, complete with an appropriate burning smell...

I would guess from the fact you are returning it that this actually stopped the loco, or the lights failed or some other malfunction? Over the past twenty years I have had more capacitors than I can quickly remember fail on Chinese made locos - sometimes with quite splendid smoke effects - but this of course makes no difference to the running qualities. These components at least are clearly low, low, spec.

• RMweb Gold

I would guess from the fact you are returning it that this actually stopped the loco, or the lights failed or some other malfunction? Over the past twenty years I have had more capacitors than I can quickly remember fail on Chinese made locos - sometimes with quite splendid smoke effects - but this of course makes no difference to the running qualities. These components at least are clearly low, low, spec.

Indeed it did stop the loco. I did try it once again afterwards, but it was dead. Given that it was likely to be a PCB fault I didn't bother about testing the lights. Hattons were very good about it and said they will test the replacement before it is despatched.

Edited by Trevellan

This is getting a bit worrying. I have seven, in various stages of detailing. I haven't blown any of them up yet, but they haven't been run for all that long.

Geoff Endacott

I did mention this fault with the 1st batches but I was shot down but it seems so far from what people are reporting the latest batch are even worse so who hasn't took notice or listened to this fault.

Richard.

To be honest Richard and Geoff, that's why I put mine on a r-road and left it running hooked up to a battery for 2 hours last night. I too was worried that the problems had not been rectified, but I'm guessing that QA is a bit variable. Richard... your points were noted by a lot of us - one of the reasons I cancelled my pre-order of the first batch.

• RMweb Gold

That's easier than taking out the glazing I guess!

That's the trouble with wizzos - Mr Nevard spotted the same problem with ours through those big windows when he did the MR photoshoot

Brought up oodles of the Bacchy crews to populate all our locos - 10 packs so far and still need more but out of stock now.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

....I've never quite understood why people succumb to the faux-exclusive hype of pre-ordering anything. All it seems to do is ensure you get disappointed quicker than everyone else.

There's some truth in that.  But it can also help ensure one obtains a model which might be especially sought-after and possibly a pre-order sellout.  

In the case of the Dapol Westerns there has also been very significant input from the early design stages by RMweb members some of whom also would have been keen to ensure they could enjoy the fruit of their "labours".