Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Received mine today, looks amazing! Haven’t taken out of the packaging yet, but the brake rodding requires fitting? I’m sure it was factory fit on D1000? Not a problem, just wondered what glue to use?

When I spoke to Dapol at Ally Pally a few months back, they told me that they were no longer going to fit the brake rodding to any of the Western models as it was too prone to coming off in transit.

Seriously considering one of these fantastic models.

Am I right in thinking that D1015 does not have details to be correct for the preserved Champion, but D1023 does for the preserved Fusilier?

Any help on which details are correct/incorrect would be good.

Thanks

I believe your thinking is correct. The D1015 model does not have the Talisman clips so represents the loco in the 1960s when it carried the Golden Ochre first time round. The MSYP D1023 model has them fitted so that would represent it in current, preserved form.

Just got my first ever Dapol model, the OO Western and but unfortunately I am having problems in that it almost constantly derails over point work, even at slow speeds. It seems to be when the "front" bogie is leading that the problems occurs i.e. the first wheel set fails to negotiate the points.

I tried unclipping the front valance to ensure that nothing was interfering with the bogie movement but it made no difference. The bogie does appear free to rotate, having read similar derailing problems in this thread.

For reference I'm using standard Hornby track from 2013 and have almost 60 other locos, none of which have problems with my points. This Dapol model is having real problems though.

Have checked the wheels B2B and looks OK.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

hi, first time post so appologies if breaking etiquette. Same problem on my recent purchase and eventually found the center wheel on one side of the offending bogie to be larger diameter than the outers, causing the bogie as a whole to pivot laterally and therefore the leading axle (in the direction of travel at the time) to be raised from the track and therefore prone to derailing. However came on here to see if there was an easy fix to that as I can't see how to dismantle the bogie.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, neil4242. I would return it to the retailer. The 52 is 'not fit for purpose' I believe is how such matters are described in the sale of goods act. I certainly would not try to dismantle the bogie. Hope that things work out for you.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum.  You may want to contact Dapol directly, particularly if you've bought a version which is no longer available new.  I understand they are aware of the issue, and will fit new wheel sets under warranty.

Returning it to the retailer may leave you getting a refund, but without a loco you otherwise want.

hi, first time post so appologies if breaking etiquette. Same problem on my recent purchase and eventually found the center wheel on one side of the offending bogie to be larger diameter than the outers, causing the bogie as a whole to pivot laterally and therefore the leading axle (in the direction of travel at the time) to be raised from the track and therefore prone to derailing. However came on here to see if there was an easy fix to that as I can't see how to dismantle the bogie.

I ended up getting a refund on mine. Both my bogie leading wheels had "fresh air" under them and constantly derailed. It will be a long time before I have the confidence to buy another Dapol, which is a shame. In the end I  got a second hand Hornby Western, yes I know, but at least its a confident runner. I'm actually quite pleased with it :O

I ended up getting a refund on mine. Both my bogie leading wheels had "fresh air" under them and constantly derailed. It will be a long time before I have the confidence to buy another Dapol, which is a shame. In the end I  got a second hand Hornby Western, yes I know, but at least its a confident runner. I'm actually quite pleased with it :O

Can I ask which particular model? Wasn't the Cheltenham Champion model was it? I haven't even tested mine yet, just a cursory look at it in the box!

Had a similar problem with the second Dapol Western I got (D1005 Western Venturer). It the Kept derailing on a temporary test oval I set up with no pointwork. Just would not stay on the track. It went back to DCC Supplies twice, ended up with Dapol sending out a new model.

I haven't tested all my Dapol Westerns yet, and I've accumulated half a dozen of them now, but the ones I did test didn't exhibit the same issue as the first one.

Can I ask which particular model? Wasn't the Cheltenham Champion model was it? I haven't even tested mine yet, just a cursory look at it in the box!

Had a similar problem with the second Dapol Western I got (D1005 Western Venturer). It the Kept derailing on a temporary test oval I set up with no pointwork. Just would not stay on the track. It went back to DCC Supplies twice, ended up with Dapol sending out a new model.

I haven't tested all my Dapol Westerns yet, and I've accumulated half a dozen of them now, but the ones I did test didn't exhibit the same issue as the first one.

Mine was the Dapol 4D-003-003 D1056 'Western Sultan' in Maroon. I would certainly recommend giving all yours a good test to avoid any disappointment later on.

It still does not sound good for this model.

Think i`ll stay away from this one a little longer,

My Dapol wezzie went straight back to the shop ,with a serious wobble,

bits missing and throwing its self of the track at ever corner. :nono:

Mine was the Dapol 4D-003-003 D1056 'Western Sultan' in Maroon. I would certainly recommend giving all yours a good test to avoid any disappointment later on.

I certainly plan to in time. Sultan was among the first batch IIRC, Certainly Venturer was. I think the later batches have had fewer issues (going by what's been said on here).

There's a two year warranty on these from Dapol isn't there?

I acquired one a few months ago... the first of the new BR Blues ones - as I've not badged it I can't remember which one it is .... but all I've done with it is test it on a rolling road for an hour or so in each direction and run it in both directions on my boys layout which has a mix of std and curved Hornby turnouts and a few tight corners; I've found no problems with road holding although there is a slight wobble. However, I'll be re-wheeling this at some point using P4 Ultrascales that I acquired a while back... and then it'll be a superdetailing job to see what can be done... but that's a way off and it's in the queue.

Suffice to say.... mine's to be worked on and has been "tested" and seems satis.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking on the Hattons website and they show the following

4D-003-004

Class 52 D1058 "Western Nobleman" BR blue with full yellow panel

3 in stock.

Not suitable for use with Bachmann decoders.

Has anyoine any idea why Bachmann decoders are not suitable.  I have a 21 pin direct plug in fitted to my model D1062 and it works fine.

I have a question about the weathered Dapol Westerns.

Is the Kernow exclusive model, Western Ruler, the same weathering as the more widely available Western Centurion?

If not, which is the better weathering job in people's opinion, or are they just different?

Thanks,

Pete

4D-003-004

3 in stock.

Has anyoine any idea why Bachmann decoders are not suitable.  I have a 21 pin direct plug in fitted to my model D1062 and it works fine.

Maybe its because they sell thier own  decoder, I have fitted them to a pair of Bachmann 40's an 85 and 37, they seem to work ok.

• RMweb Premium

4D-003-004

3 in stock.

Maybe its because they sell thier own  decoder, I have fitted them to a pair of Bachmann 40's an 85 and 37, they seem to work ok.

Mine are fitted with Bachmann's 36-557 21-pin decoder and they work fine. But this is a 4 function decoder. I suspect the advice is because most Bachmann decoders, including the earlier 21-pin 36-554, are/were 2 or 3 function and so some of the lights won't work.

Edited by brushman47544