Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I sincerely hope that this is going to be as good as Dapol Dave's efforts are suggesting because I have just received a 'flyer' advising that the Swindon 'Steam' Museum's limited edition of D1000 (in 1961 ex-works desert sand livery) will be £159.99.

So did they offer a delivery date in the flyer? Nothing on their website...

Hi Pete Piszczek,

from a call to the museum, they said that it's likely to be around December this year. However, it is all subject to things going smoothly.

Osborns Models were advertising their version in N a while back - March I think it was.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Gold

So did they offer a delivery date in the flyer? Nothing on their website...

The flyer just says 'Coming soon'. The accompanying letter says 'Expected delivery time is winter 2011, orders are now being taken.' I doubt they would be prepared to be any more precise than that (if you speak to the right person) in view of the considerable delays they suffered with the 'Castle' and the need in the end to keep 'phoning folk to advise of yet another delay - eventually they gave up quoting a month and got a lot vaguer until they knew the locos were actually in the country.

from a call to the museum, they said that it's likely to be around December this year. However, it is all subject to things going smoothly.

The flyer just says 'Coming soon'. The accompanying letter says 'Expected delivery time is winter 2011, orders are now being taken.'

Thanks fellows.

They are being incredibly optimistic, if Dapol are still tweaking the CAD, and the museum is suggesting in-country in under 4 months! Doesn't the slow boat from china take six weeks? I still haven't seen any Class 22s in my post box...

Edited by Pete Piszczek

• RMweb Gold

Thanks fellows.

They are being incredibly optimistic, if Dapol are still tweaking the CAD, and the museum is suggesting in-country in under 4 months! Doesn't the slow boat from china take six weeks? I still haven't seen any Class 22s in my post box...

Quite agree, I'm mentally adding a minimum of 6 months to those sort of estimated dates. Talking to the Bachmann reps at Swindon 'Steam' today they said that the Western RODs are currently in production and are expected 'Noveember/December - so that is a model which has gone through every stage up to and including final livery approval and, providing the boat isn't delayed or diverted, it should be in the shops for Christmas; which again makes me very wary of the promised date for D1000.

• Like 1

Drawings that may be of use at the NRM York:

Swindon Roll 457

SL/SW/2209 Window Apertures (Cab front and side window frame sizes, modified as per build)

SL/SW/2543 2700HP Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive (Original weight diagram, might be nice box art..)

SL/SW/2451 Livery & Spacing Diagram - BR Blue (I get the feeling this drawing wiped out the maroon spec though it does still have the modifications including 27-9-62 "colour of body changed from coach maroon to loco maroon" )

SL/SW/2619 Arrgt. & Details of Engine Room Windows

SL/SW/2872 Livery & Spacing Diagram - Desert Sand - D1000

SL/SW/3128 Livery & Spacing Diagram - Locomotive Green - D1002-D1004, D1035-D1038

The following 4 drawings are fascinating as they show the body framework without the skin on much like a wooden aircraft without the fabric covering!

SL/SW/2669 Arrangement Of Welded Pads on Upper Frame 'A' End Outer Section

SL/SW/2670 Arrangement Of Welded Pads on Upper Frame 'A' End Inner Section

SL/SW/2671 Arrangement Of Welded Pads on Upper Frame 'B' End Inner Section

SL/SW/2672 Arrangement Of Welded Pads on Upper Frame 'B' End Outer Section

Talking of weight diagrams looking nice on a box

Swindon Roll 365

57-401A BTC 1000HP DH Locomotive NBL Glasgow

56-654F BR 2000HP DH Locomotive NBL Glasgow

Edited by craigwelsh

• RMweb Gold

Just received advice from Swindon confirming my order for D1000 and also saying 'Latest delivery predictions for information only Western Enterprise is early December.'

Without wishing to be ungenerous to all the work that is going into this loco at Dapol I can remember the sort of predictions which emerged from Swindon about delivery dates for a much larger D1000 and just how accurate (not) they turned out to be ... I wonder if nothing has changed in the Swindonian crystal ball. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Well - things are certainly moving in Dapol-land. Pop over to the class 22 thread for the evidence. As I understand it the Kernow well tanks are done and dusted, the class 22 is next including the Kernow weathered ones, the Westerns follow that and then the Kernow "six hundreds" though there would likely be other locos in the pipeline as well and production order does not guarantee timeframe.

looking very nice indeed Dapol Dave- the wheels in the top picture look smaller in diameter than in the 2nd picture though.

Are they going to be slightly underscale to get the loco around train set curves then? Maybe give modellers the options with 2 wheelsets?

Hi everyone,

More from Dapol towers, and yes i know the brake rigging is still wrong, but its an improvement. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

That is looking better, but the roof front above the cab is still not quite right. The area around the horn should still follow a curved profile meeting the main roof at a tangent where the first roof panel is located. The cadds model shows a straight line with exagerated curvature at the front.

The ledge below the windows should not run parallel to the windows. It is actually slightly curved along the front edge and is closer to the central pillar than the outer edge. The ledge is horizontal in the middle and is only tapered at the out edge, the taper developing as you move away from the centre.

The horn cover should be slightly lower at the front than the rear and the engine room vents are still the incorrect shape. See my earlier posting with views of the roof.

Looking at the front view, the side skirts appear to be vertical. This is not correct as they taper inwards towards the bottom

It is difficult to see from the cadds images, but the nose profile is actually curved in the vertical and axial planes above the headcode panel. This is quite difficult to visualise, so if you wish, I can send you some of my photo's and cadds images illustrating the point.

I am not sure looking at the images that the engine room window corner fillets are large enough.

The lower part of the cab door should have an outward taper at the base and there is a strip that follows the profile of the top of the door missing.

Finally the lower fillet on the body behind the side cab windows is still missing.

Otherwise, it is looking very promising in its current state.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

Looking good Dave, thanks for posting those new images.

I notice the bottom of the front valance is still showing as being horizontal whan as I pointed out further up the thread there is a definite 'vee' dropping down towards the centre. I also agree with Marks comment above about the 'taper' on the valance sides.... it's subtle, but it is there!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave - It looks terrific - in fact getting better with every one of your posts.

What sort of delivery date are we talking about? - Next year at some point? - Late 2012?

Thanks again for sharing.

• 1 month later...

I actually like the pink-ish shade of the current CAD - will Dapol turn out a special run painted like this for, e.g. Comic Relief?

I haven't been following all of this, but became aware of the 'special' via an email. I think your idea is far better than Western Enterprise in Desert Sand, which made me feel physically sick when I first saw it on the new loco. It was vile! And I did like the Westerns, they looked very classy compared to the American styled EE and Sulzer locos of the time.

Paul Bartlett

Guest oldlugger

Hi chaps,

Good point and 1 thats not showing up well on the cad/cam.

I have been through the previous cad files and it isnt there either which makes me believe it was left off when the scanning transition to cad/cam took place and it was 'smoothed' out.

To help matters a bit i have attached a comparison picture betwen the one posted earlier (thats for that) and the cad/cam, scaled to about the same size.

Cheers

Dave

The gap between the top of the driving wheels and the body seems too high in the CAD drawing here, compared to the real loco in the adjacent photo. This is something that always ruins an otherwise lovely looking model.

Cheers

Simon

The gap between the top of the driving wheels and the body seems too high in the CAD drawing here, compared to the real loco in the adjacent photo. This is something that always ruins an otherwise lovely looking model.

Agreed, I think that the lines I have added below should be at almost the same height.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treflyn/3570496903/in/set-72157606035640594

post-887-0-17402900-1320679901.png

Edited by Karhedron

Guest oldlugger

This extra clearance may well be necessary for it to negotiate 2nd radius curves.

I'm not sure why this is necessary for 2nd radius curves? The bogies would still move from side to side freely with a scale gap. It could be to clear wheel flanges? Whatever, it would be a great shame to miss this opportunity to get a Western that at long last looks just right. One other thing (which may not have been mentioned) are brakes in line with the wheel treads on all wheels. To scratch build and retro fit class 52 brakes and brake rods is a nightmare!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure why this is necessary for 2nd radius curves? The bogies would still move from side to side freely with a scale gap. It could be to clear wheel flanges?

Cheers

Simon

That's my guess, although it is only a guess. Do any RtR 00 diesel models actually have scale wheels and ride height? Those I've got/seen (by no means all) either have underscale wheel diameter e.g Hornby Class 50, or increased ride height.