Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Quite a well known period in Enterprise's life by now Adrian with several published photos including at least three in colour - not at all a mystery! Anyhoo... it was released from Swindon in maroon / small yellow panels with off white / grey window surrounds, black bufferbeam and it's origianl alloy crests on Thursday 8th October 1964 and carried this variant until called into Works again in the Spring of 1967. It emerged again on Friday 2nd June that year having been repainted into the 'standard' blue livery with full yellow ends, but without it's alloy crests ;)

(Also - see the first part of the 'Western Liveries' thread in the link below ;) )

Many thanks Nidge - I had not been aware of this before as I thought Enterprise went into standard maroon.

I think it would make quite a nice model variant.

Dave - I think Dapol's versions of the alloy crests are the best I have seen. Would it be possible to supply spares in order to create this version of D1000?

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My Western Sovereign arrived from Lord & Butler today:

post-586-0-04297600-1363191607.jpg

Most impressed - weathered, nameplates, number plates and reporting numbers attached and, most awesome, a SWDigital decoder married to a bass reflex speaker fitted. Happy bunny. Must learn how to do a utube thingy.

Methinks another call to Lord to Butler to order a similarly fitted blue version next week is on the cards.....

Keith

• Like 7

No problem Adrian, my pleasure. I'm just waiting for permission to post another shot of D1000 in grubby maroon, albiet in grainy b&w from an ex-Old Oak Driver, which shows the crest very well. As luck would have it, he also has what is probably one of the first shots of D1030 taken in traffic, in it's unique early blue / small yellow panels livery, fresh out of Swindon and sat at Ranelagh Bridge on pilot duties.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifWesternSovereign-01.jpg

Most impressed - weathered, nameplates, number plates and reporting numbers attached and, most awesome, a SWDigital decoder married to a bass reflex speaker fitted. Happy bunny. Must learn how to do a utube thingy.

Methinks another call to Lord to Butler to order a similarly fitted blue version next week is on the cards.....

Ooooooooooooooooooo now thats nice :locomotive:

Keith

• Like 1

Many thanks Nidge - I had not been aware of this before as I thought Enterprise went into standard maroon.

Dave - I think Dapol's versions of the alloy crests are the best I have seen. Would it be possible to supply spares in order to create this version of D1000?

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

They are part of Brian from shawplans range.  Not sure if they are available separately though but they are the best etchings he's done in my opinion.

Give him a shout.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I have just received my D1000 from Steam Museum. It certainly looks very handsome but unfortunately it suffers from some of the quality control problems that have been mentioned earlier relating to the screws. One is rattling around inside the body, one (which doesn't have a thread) was in the box, the third just turns in its hole and the fourth doesn't budge. Add to that missing brake gear and loose break gear in the box it's not a pretty sight. I can't say the packing from Steam was brilliant, it did move around a bit in the cardboard box (The Dapol box seems robust enough). I shall be on the telephone to Steam first thing in the morning!

I can't take my eyes off Keith's shot of his D1038, it just looks so damned handsome from that low angle, showing off the raked back cab front and all important roof peak to perfection.... and how appropiate it is that his post number should be '1002', the number of another green Thousand ;) .....really am looking forward to getting my blue machine soon! Want maroo, green and 'early' blue ones now too!

• Like 4

attachicon.gifWesternSovereign-01.jpg

Keith

Nice picture, Keith... is that Roco track? And a Reichsbahn high-speed diesel unit in the background?

With a big thanks to ex-Old Oak man Pete Nichols, here's D1000 in maroon with it's alloy crest on 81A sometime in 1965.... not the best of shots but Pete was rather busy readying the loco for his Driver at the time, about to drive it up to Paddington with some empty stock in tow, so he took it on the spur of the moment no doubt...

post-7638-0-26508600-1363207038_thumb.jpg

Another of Pete's early shots but taken a bit later in the Summer of 1966, here's D1030 fresh out of Swindon in it's early blue / small yellow panels livery, standing as yard pilot on Ranelagh Bridge...

post-7638-0-79815300-1363207372_thumb.jpg

Pete lives beside the railway line just south of Leamington Spa, there's a union flag flying in his back garden along with some railwayana, so next time I'm passing I'll give him a toot of thanks ;) (he tells me he also has a shot of D1000 on the 'table at Old Oak in Desert Sand which he's hoping to scan very soon, looking forward to seeing that!).

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Went to a fabulous film show at the Wells Railway Fraternity last night . Amongst some gems of film was a short sequence of a shiny BFYE Western at Writhlington colliery south of Radstock c.1970. Its the first time I've seen a 1000 on the actual S&D - I have several pictures of them at Bath GP. Difficult to catch the number but it looked like 1013, Western Ranger. 

Hymeks usually worked this duty, indeed there were a couple of great shots (GFYE and BSYE) on the film. Any more information, or better still pictures of Westerns on S&D metals - not that I need any more excuse to have at least one for Highbury!

Jerry

Edited as I meant Writhlington, no Kilmersdon as I originally typed.

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

Adrian

Hi,

This is one of the variations that I would most like! I would have liked the original scheme too but that's actually too early for me, being a late sixties man!

My full list would be 3+ in maroon, 1 in green and 1 in BSYP as I'm anti-BFYP, ha, ha!

Cheers,

John E.

Went to a fabulous film show at the Wells Railway Fraternity last night . Amongst some gems of film was a short sequence of a shiny BFYE Western at Kilmesdon colliery south of Radstock c.1970. Its the first time I've seen a 1000 on the actual S&D - I have several pictures of them at Bath GP. Difficult to catch the number but it looked like 1013, Western Ranger.

Jeffery Grayer's Sabotaged & Defeated Revisited has a photo of an unidentified BFYE Western running over exploding detonators when leaving Radstock West yard towards Frome with the last train of Somerset coal in November 1973. However, other photos suggest that the wagons were brought from Writhlington on the S&D to the ex-GWR yard by a class 8. Could this have been what you saw? Kilmersden was connected to the GWR Radstock-Frome line by an incline, not the S&D, and there are several other photos of Westerns on this line with the quarry traffic from Whatley Combe in 1976, and also on coal traffic at Mells Road for Portishead in 1969. These are in Mike Vincent's Through Countryside and Coalfield.

Nick

edited to clarify where the other photos can be found.

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeffery Grayer's Sabotaged & Defeated Revisited has a photo of an unidentified BFYE Western running over exploding detonators when leaving Radstock West yard towards Frome with the last train of Somerset coal in November 1973. However, other photos suggest that the wagons were brought from Writhlington on the S&D to the ex-GWR yard by a class 8. Could this have been what you saw? Kilmersden was connected to the GWR Radstock-Frome line by an incline, not the S&D, and there are several other photos of Westerns on this line with the quarry traffic from Whatley Combe in 1976, and also on coal traffic at Mells Road for Portishead in 1969. These are in Mike Vincent's Through Countryside and Coalfield.

Nick

edited to clarify where the other photos can be found.

No I'm pretty sure it was at Writhlington, I have edited my original post as this is what I meant to say. The baulk of the film we saw was shot at Kilmersdon with Herbie and Nelson loader doing the commentary (recorded as both are sadly no longer with us). with just a handful of sequences from Writhlington.

Jeffrey Grayer was at the meeting doing a book signing.

Jerry

• Like 1

No I'm pretty sure it was at Writhlington...

If so, that's very interesting. I was under the impression the track wasn't up to taking anything heavier than the shunter by that time, even though it had seen Hymeks a few years earlier.

Sounds like some very interesting film. I've only ever seen stills of Kilmersden when it was still working.

Nick

Edited by buffalo

• RMweb Gold

If so, that's very interesting. I was under the impression the track wasn't up to taking anything heavier than the shunter by that time, even though it had seen Hymeks a few years earlier.

Sounds like some very interesting film. I've only ever seen stills of Kilmersden when it was still working.

Nick

Thats's what I had always assumed but the sequence in the film suggested Writhlington but I could be wrong.

We were shown three films shot by local enthusiast Andrew Linham; the S&D including the branch, the Cheddar Valley line and, my favourite, the two collieries (the last two working in Somerset) including extensive footage of the working of the incline at Kilmersdon narrated, as I said, by Herbie and Nelson Loader who were the two gents in the film complete with wonderful Somerset accents! Mr Linham is hoping to make the films commercially available. The film of the collieries with authentic commentary really is a gem.

Jerry

• Like 3

Mornin' all,

The conversion sets for the Dapol Western have been tested and are successful. I'll be posting a description of my work on fitting the 18.83 prototype set, along with some images soon.

Those who expressed an interest in the conversion packs should now order and pay via the Ultrascale website.

Any outstanding orders for any of the 3 pack variants can also be placed via the Ultrascale website but priority will be given to those who expressed an interest.

https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/CAT033

As Horsetan says below please order the Dapol Western conversion packs on their own, don't request any other Ultrascale products on the same order.  

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

Mornin' all,

The conversion sets for the Dapol Western have been tested and are successful. I'll be posting a description of my work on fitting the 18.83 prototype set, along with some images soon.

Those who expressed an interest in the conversion packs should now order and pay via the Ultrascale website.

...and just a reminder that "Western" wheel orders should be kept completely separate from any other order for Ultrascale parts that you may be making.

• Like 1

I had a feeling it would go down badly. I should learn not to be so intemperate so often, so apologies to everyone for that. Unusually for my ego, it isn't to do with just me, but to do with a project I'm involved in.

Going back on-topic, I've just had an email from David Rogers to say that his Ultrascale wheelsets are now available for the Dapol Western. That's a big thumbs up from me.

Richard

Edited by the-gog

Aft'noon all,

Here are a few clips of a Dapol Western fitted with the prototype Ultrascale P4 wheelsets

The conversion took a full day due to the need to use a fine razor saw to slice all of the inner brakeblocks off the bogie moulding. They then needed thinning with a file before I remounted them on a custom made brass pin inside a short length of plastic tube arrangement, bonded to the bogie itself. I've left them in white and brass at the moment so that those interested can see the technique. The mounts will vanish in the grime once the bogie is weathered.

The brake rods running outside the wheels also have to be trimmed to fit.

The twin pipes passing immediately over the front offside wheel at each end need careful adjustment so that they just clear the wheel and don't touch it.

There is no need for extra pick ups because the rim conducts to the axle on each wheel within the disc itself.

All sanding pipes have been angled to point beneath the wheel treads.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

Dave   

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3