Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Guest oldlugger

Who has said that to you?

If there are problems with your model, you should be able to report then without fear of reprisal, as long as the problems are reported in a constructive manner.

You are not stirring a hornets nest, you are providing information which may help other consumers avoid your problems.

That's outrageous what has been said to you (I assume via PM?)

Agreed Simon. Is this something that Dapol themselves should be sorting out, like the infamous corroding class 31 issue that Hornby dealt with? As the shop has been unsuccessful in sorting out Richard's locos (with the same faults) could Dapol look into replacing the loco as a good will gesture? Apologies if this has already been suggested!

All the best

Simon

Guest oldlugger

I know I'm being picky but I'm only trying to help, honest.

The blue model has the Talisman clips - and very well exectuted they are as well - but that dates it to 1974 onwards.

It also has the red route restriction markings on the cab sides which were only applied to the first of the blue repaints in the 1960s.

I can't think of any Westerns which retained the red route restriction markings by 1974. Can anyone else find an example?

If I am right, it's a 1960s livery on a 1970s body. Either the clips or the red dots will have to go. (I suggest the latter.)

While on the subject of the Talisman clips (again) don't forget that not all of the Westerns were fitted with them. The first ones to be withdrawn didn't get them including, of course, D1007 Western Talisman itself.

Geoff Endacott

Very true Geoff... post the Ealing Broadway accident involving Western Talisman.

Regards

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Hi guys,

I totally agree with you, and you will note that i have said all along 'dont worry we will sort it for you and you will not miss out'.

However ], he has been unlucky to say the least, and while it's early days with the model, and multiple problems of this nature have been limited to a single customer, its wise to ask what the customers power supply etc are, so that we can deduce whether other influences are at fault that can be taken into consideration when trying to replicate the fault.

It is the norm to ask about electronic track cleaners and especially controllers as some of the latter have peak spikes of 20V DC, and dont get me going on the 80V spikes on some DCC controllers either.

Anyway it seems that the gentleman in question has migrated away from this thread to the Heljan thread and the Dapol 52 thread on another forum, so it doesnt look like i will be able to help him unfortunately.

cheers

Dave

That's great Dave and if Richard reads your comments I'm sure he will feel much relieved as he obviously really likes the model a lot.

All the best

Simon

Those naughty little 'retro fitted' red dots were first applied by a particular enthusiast, his name is mentioned in print somewhere (I'm prodding the old grey cells to try and recall where it was, but can't remember!), and the idea caught on amongst a few others at the time. They were made from 'fablon' sticky backed plastic and were cut out buy hand, some stayed put for quite a while but some were peeled off by other enthusiasts as souvineers, bless 'em.

The photos posted so far of the blue release are terrific... I'm currently scratching my chin a bit now though as I'd prefer to have the pre-Ealing style door clips - mind you I suppose I could easily modify them rather than wait for the next tooling ;)

I know some folk are still happy to stick with their Heljan Thousands for various reasons and that's fair enough, but I've been looking back at the photos I took of my now long gone Danish oil sloshers and can honestly say this new model knocks it for six, it's just such a beautiful looking thing, it really is. I've yet to see one in the flesh, but the more I look at all the photos you chaps have posted on here, plus the lovely enlarged images in Model Rail, Railway Modeller and Hornby Magazine, the more I'm convinced I've done the right thing in wanting to replace them with the new boys in town. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Those naughty little 'retro fitted' red dots were first applied by a particular enthusiast, his name is mentioned in print somewhere (I'm prodding the old grey cells to try and recall where it was, but can't remember!), and the idea caught on amongst a few others at the time. They were made from 'fablon' sticky backed plastic and were cut out buy hand, some stayed put for quite a while but some were peeled off by other enthusiasts as souvineers, bless 'em.

The photos posted so far of the blue release are terrific... I'm currently scratching my chin a bit now though as I'd prefer to have the pre-Ealing style door clips - mind you I suppose I could easily modify them rather than wait for the next tooling ;)

I know some folk are still happy to stick with their Heljan Thousands for various reasons and that's fair enough, but I've been looking back at the photos I took of my now long gone Danish oil sloshers and can honestly say this new model knocks it for six, it's just such a beautiful looking thing, it really is. I've yet to see one in the flesh, but the more I look at all the photos you chaps have posted on here, plus the lovely enlarged images in Model Rail, Railway Modeller and Hornby Magazine, the more I'm convinced I've done the right thing in wanting to replace them with the new boys in town. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one!

Nidge I'm absolutely appalled - only one :O  :nono:  :scratchhead:   (And perhaps this is the right time to ask Dave for one in the original maroon livery with yellow bufferbeam - amazing how quickly these locos got onto the North & West ;) )

• Like 1

Anyone brave enough to cut off the headboard clips on one end yet? I'm not...... Different name a better option.

Pretty sure I'll be doing that little mod Owen, as 1026 is on my 'list' and possibly 1028 as well (along with it's square air vents on the cab fronts). I'll just remove the clips, touch up the yellow as necessary and weather it accordingly, if the yellow doesn't quite match I'm not too worried about it.

Mike - there you go squire, normal service is resumed :haha: . Perhaps I should have said ''I can't wait to get my hand on my first one!''

• Like 1

Pretty sure I'll be doing that little mod Owen, as 1026 is on my 'list' and possibly 1028 as well (along with it's square air vents on the cab fronts). I'll just remove the clips, touch up the yellow as necessary and weather it accordingly, if the yellow doesn't quite match I'm not too worried about it.

Mike - there you go squire, normal service is resumed :haha: . Perhaps I should have said ''I can't wait to get my hand on my first one!''

I look forward to seeing a picture of one with a vent, I mite do it to one of my Heljan ones now tho.

• RMweb Gold

For anyone awating Blue ones from Cheltenham model centre, they are expecting them Thursday. They received more green ones today!!!!!

Yup my CMC mole relayed the same info to me

So visiting Thursday...

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the wheely bin, like CE markings and Wee is a very important mark on this type of product under EU law.

It will be interesting, now that officials are coming down hard on certification and compliance, to see if new comers to production of loco's, and railbuses etc have their models so marked, because if they dont, i believe the ramifications are quite severe.

cheers

Dave

Anyone brave enough to cut off the headboard clips on one end yet?

Anyone brave enough to remove the wheely bin yet? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Mine arrived yesterday and inspiration comes from here..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/campag-keith/4290105259/

Clearly Heljan and Dapol are now sharing the same producer/factory in China? (Judging by packaging anyway?) and one can only hope they don't get the Whizzos mixed up over there...... night and day would be a fair description of the difference between the two?

A question to those who have done it, Before I take my western apart to put reporting numbers in. Is it possible to do it!!!! Rather than use horrid sticky outside numbers supplied with loco, seems a bit weird after so much work gone in to a fantastic loco.

Try looking back at posts circa 688 and again at 1082.

It looks like it's potentially possible (a nice caveat that) to remove the glazing but the glue might cause some difficulties, although the blue ones seem to be better here - from what my interpretation of others' posts suggests.

Jon

• Like 1

Try looking back at posts circa 688 and again at 1082.

It looks like it's potentially possible (a nice caveat that) to remove the glazing but the glue might cause some difficulties, although the blue ones seem to be better here - from what my interpretation of others' posts suggests.

Jon

Cool, I'll have a look through, thanks
  • Like 1

Reminds me, must get on with measuring the colour temperature of the LEDs. My Lee filters sample pack has arrived, so I'll see what results I'll get out of them. I'll start a new thread on another part of this forum.

RWJ

• Like 1