Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Phil.

I have decided with much regret to stand by my Heljan ones due to these issues and with mounting finacial problems as also cant see a quick fix and folk not on here i must add telling me it must be my layout.

over 40 locos run fine so how can this be.Even cancelled my ltd addition weathered one from kernow today. :nono:

It just dont make sence.

richard.

Hi Richard,

I understand your frustration your having with your Dapol western but, so far it seems a unique problem.

Maybe when more are released, more of us may have problems but for the moment you just seem unlucky.

Which is why I don't think it is terribly fair to put on the Heljan pages of this forum, under a thread you yourself started that

"Due to electrical issues well documented elswere am deemed to have to keep my Heljan ones with having to possibly get somemore".

The electrical issue seems only to effect your Westerns. Please don't suggest the problems is bigger than it is.

Respectfully,

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
  • Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Sorry Luke but if you go back to arround page 30 of this thread there are quite a few people reporting similar problems to Richard and the model hadn't even been out a fortnight then

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-30

I presume it was this area of the topic Richard was refering to and it certainly does not only effect his Westerns.

Sorry Luke but if you go back to arround page 30 of this thread there are quite a few people reporting similar problems to Richard and the model hadn't even been out a fortnight then

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-30

I presume it was this area of the topic Richard was refering to and it certainly does not only effect his Westerns.

Hi Jim, I missed that one!

Most issues in the 43 pages are about things that shouldn't have been glued that were, and things that should be glued that weren't.

The only other report of problems with the lights / electrics seems to be Neils. To me, both sound like a case of a badly wired blanking plug.

Bachmann have also had problems with this in the pass, and several manufactures have had problems with the sockets.

As I said, maybe there will be more problems in the future but for the moment it seems rare.

Luke

Guest jim s-w

I wonder if swapping the plug is a solution, Is it an 8 pin one? 

Dunno if you would need to swap the plug before the problem occurs though?

I wonder if swapping the plug is a solution, Is it an 8 pin one? 

Dunno if you would need to swap the plug before the problem occurs though?

I believe it a 21pin. It would be worth taking the plug out before there is a problem and giving it a visual once over. By the time you see smoke or smell burning it's too late. If the light's are "weird";top off and have a look. Bachmann do spare 21pin blanking plugs (36-058) and Hattons (happy customer, no connection) have them in stock with a pack of ten @ £5. Or ask any DCCer as most of us have got them floating around.

Hopefully that will stop any more failures. I don't want to see those scrap lines outside Swindon again!!!

Luke

Sean

i may have mentioned i have tested 2  smoked within 2mins no lights but still ran out, and one of these repaired tested yesterday and this lasted 10mins and refuses to run at all after smoking.

WESTERN MYSTERYS

richard.

Ah, ok Richard.

It's such a long thread, I couldn't remember if this was your first Western or a replacement.

It would be baffling me too to be honest, especially since everything else on your layout and with the stock seems ok. Very unlucky if you've managed to find two duffs though......

Keep your chin up for now though. At least you'd not got rid of your Heljan ones so you can still have a Western running on your layout.

Just trying to think positive thoughts.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

Swapping the blanking plate with a std 21pin Bachmann one does not operate the lights.

I am to say no more on the issue as have been told that i am causing bad reports and stirring a hornets nest but envy those that have them in all there glory.

richard.

Who has said that to you?

If there are problems with your model, you should be able to report then without fear of reprisal, as long as the problems are reported in a constructive manner.

You are not stirring a hornets nest, you are providing information which may help other consumers avoid your problems.

That's outrageous what has been said to you (I assume via PM?)

• Like 5

Swapping the blanking plate with a std 21pin Bachmann one does not operate the lights.

I am to say no more on the issue as have been told that i am causing bad reports and stirring a hornets nest but envy those that have them in all there glory.

richard.

Richard, my apologies if I was unclear: I want you to keep posting about your Western!

If there is going to be a general problem I want this web site to be able to offer advice and recommendations on how to solve this problem We are all learning from the issues you are having and I'm sure we all want them to be solved!

If the loco has already died then trying a Bachmann plug isn't going to help. You'd need to fit it before there seems to be a problem. If you are going to send it back to DCC Supplies for repair, ask them to change the 21pin blanking plug. If that doesn't remove the problem at least we know that isn't a problem. Step by step we'll cure this!

Luke

Guest jim s-w

I want this web site to be able to offer advice and recommendations on how to solve this problem

Absolutely. Isn't that kinda the point of having forums? What is the point of them if they are just full of people opening the same RTR stuff, taking the same pictures as everyone else and going on about how lucky we are?

• Like 10

Thing with blanking plugs is that they are not all the same. Having chipped a few OO and HO locomotives, multiple units, and driving trailers (for head/tail lights), I have seen simple blanking plates with pins shorted for motor only, some shorted for motor and lights, some with diodes for directional lights, some with resistances, and even one with transistors aboard. It all depends on the lights fitted (directional head/tail lights, cab lights, coach lights, headcode lights, destination blind/display lights) and the types used (bulb, LED, LED with internal resistors, SMD LEDs on small circuit boards with other components). So you can't just take a blanking plug from one model, or from spare, and expect the lights to work in another. This makes it important to keep your collection of removed blanking plugs in order so you know which belongs where.  

• Like 4

I got the Western Venturer in blue this weekend and I am very impressed with the detail and smooth running. I have put the new Bachmann 21 pin chip in it and it works fine. It was very easy to remove the body and install the chip as there are just 4 screws and the body isn't too tight and doesn't have any body clips to contend with. The dcc settings 1 and 2 operate the cab lights for each end separately.The only problem I have with it is that it derails very easily if your track work is not perfect and it derails when it goes over the insulating plastic rail joiners. I guess this is to do with the flange depths on the wheels - the other diesels I have are all ok. It took me an hour to fit all of the roof panel handles and I lost one because it flew off somewhere when trying to fit it as they are so small and fiddly! It would have been nice to have had 2 or 3 spare handles included! The other detailing parts were fairly easy to fit as the locating holes were not too tight. The valance unclips very easily as well. It is a beautiful model 

Here are 3 from my mobile to whet your appitite!

20130318 202011 resized

20130318 195942 resized

20130318 195932 resized

Just getting my DSLR out now to get some much nicer shots, should have them up within an hour. Also have some pics of inside and report on what was there when I opened box.

Be back soon!

Matt

• Like 5

I almost pulled a sicky at work today when the Mrs text me early. "There is a Loco shaped box on the side for you when you get in, posty has just dropped it off" Ohhhh please let it be my Western, and it was!

Opening the box was like Christmas day and pass the parcel in one, so many layers of packaging, but so well executed. Full marks on the packaging Dapol, could go round the world by rugby drop kick and would still work afterwards.

Also not a brake shoe or rod out of place in mine, all 4 screw heads unmarked and easy to remove.

Can't find my spare 21 pin chip tonight, so will have to wait to run in tomorrow, fudge! Although I did have a go at popping the glazing out to fit the headcodes behind the glass. With some gentle levering to break the small glue dabs I was able to move the cab assembly back enough to pop the glazing unit out. Some gentle trimming of the supplied headcodes and bit of tape to hold them in, not too bad for out the box.

Looking forward to giving it a run tomorrow, and maybe sound too once I've saved some pennies. It would be criminal not to after all the trouble they have gone to making space for nice big speaker!!

Anyway onto the pictures! My mate has got my flash mask at mo, so apoligies for the horrible over and under exposure on some of these. Promise to get some in natural light for you guys is someone doesn't beat me to it. :friends:

IMG_9337_zpsfa1c5f5a.jpg

IMG_9338_zps8df10850.jpg

IMG_9344_zpsaf7d583f.jpg

IMG_9346_zpsbeb3bcaf.jpg

IMG_9347_zpsdaaea706.jpg

IMG_9350_zps5de528bb.jpg

IMG_9351_zps25028f1e.jpg

IMG_9352_zps24880487.jpg

IMG_9353_zps24b3e711.jpg

IMG_9356_zps6aab9de3.jpg

IMG_9357_zps7ad01b5d.jpg

IMG_9358_zps77445910.jpg

IMG_9359_zpsef59369e.jpg

Dapol I love this, I also love you and hate you, love you for giving so much detail and extras, and hate you for giving me some many extras! Gonna have soo much fun putting those eyes on the roof.

Love it, can't wait to run it!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 14

Didn't notice the area inside the roof until you pointed it out! May just be the flash making it look worse than it is, either that or paint overspray/underspray. Will confirm when I open her up again to fit the chip.

Don't worry the_gog, I've been making military model kits with etch for years, I know how much the carpet monster loves to eat etch fret! I have a fair few tricks up my sleves to stop him.

Hope they do to Mr B, next time you pop down can get them both on platform with some blue grey coaches, best you dig yours out!! 

Cheers

Matt