Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Received my green Western today. Looks very nice; really looks the part. Easily opened and chipped, but I haven't had time to do the headlights yet. I will probably leave the lifting rings for now (actually, I think that they are perhaps a detail too far).

Two problems: some of the bars across the outer wheels (I'm sure there's a technical term for them) were loose, and some missing. I found one lurking in the packing, but I'm still three short. I removed the rest pending replacements (would DCCSupplies have spares?). Also the locomotive would appear to have a slight wobble when running. I haven't had time to find out which axle(s) or wheel(s) is/are responsible. Again, could I get a replacement part? I really don't want to have to send the whole model back across Europe to Cornwall. Apart from the slight wobble, it runs really smoothly.

I'm still a bit disappointed about the very basic coupling pocket, especially given the thought and detailing that has gone into this model. Because the NEM pocket is fixed and non-movable as part of the bogie frame, only tension locks or Kadees can be used, with unsightly gaps required to prevent buffer locking on sharp (hidden!) curves. I managed to squeeze a Symoba close-coupling unit into my Bachmann 47, but I can't see that working on the Western. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the close-coupling mechanisms on my continental H0 stock, all of which work perfectly well, even when pushing long trains through opposing curves. 

Glue?

This certainly looks like a worthwhile candidate to go P4. But only to buy once the fuss and hype has finally died down.

I agree Ivan... which is why I ordered a set from U/scale last week... I think the model does look very nice, and should only need a few tweeks for any perfectionists out there

• Like 1

A friend of mine managed to get on the reserve list at Steam, and has managed to buy Enterprise. He quite fell in love with it when he saw my model sat on a short length of track. A magnifying glass helps to look at all the fine detail.

RWJ

I know I'm being picky but I'm only trying to help, honest.

The blue model has the Talisman clips - and very well exectuted they are as well - but that dates it to 1974 onwards.

It also has the red route restriction markings on the cab sides which were only applied to the first of the blue repaints in the 1960s.

I can't think of any Westerns which retained the red route restriction markings by 1974. Can anyone else find an example?

If I am right, it's a 1960s livery on a 1970s body. Either the clips or the red dots will have to go. (I suggest the latter.)

While on the subject of the Talisman clips (again) don't forget that not all of the Westerns were fitted with them. The first ones to be withdrawn didn't get them including, of course, D1007 Western Talisman itself.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I know I'm being picky but I'm only trying to help, honest.

The blue model has the Talisman clips - and very well exectuted they are as well - but that dates it to 1974 onwards.

It also has the red route restriction markings on the cab sides which were only applied to the first of the blue repaints in the 1960s.

I can't think of any Westerns which retained the red route restriction markings by 1974. Can anyone else find an example?

If I am right, it's a 1960s livery on a 1970s body. Either the clips or the red dots will have to go. (I suggest the latter.)

While on the subject of the Talisman clips (again) don't forget that not all of the Westerns were fitted with them. The first ones to be withdrawn didn't get them including, of course, D1007 Western Talisman itself.

Geoff Endacott

I'll be doing the former on mine Geoff :imsohappy:

Mike.

I'm sure the red dot route restriction made a comeback in the later blue years, I can well remember my suprise at seeing a Western tearing through Sonning cutting in 74 or 75 with a red dot applied to the cab.

How well are the cabs glued in on Dapols blue Westerns? they really need to be removed for detailing and fitting a crew.

D1033 Western Trooper, Plymouth, 1975 with clips and red dot:

7871721160_9444bdf702_z.jpg

D1033 Western Trooper, Plymouth 1975 by Steve Ash3, on Flickr

D1021 Western Cavalier, Plymouth, 1975:

7871733884_26d448b9ee_z.jpg

D1021 Western Cavalier, Plymouth 1975 by Steve Ash3, on Flickr

D1009, Old Oak, 1975: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5804886867/

D1058, Paddington, 1976: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/5845550611/

D1068, Newton Abbot, 1976:

3443987171_ceca636830_z.jpg?zz=1

Class 52 D1068 Western Reliance at Newton Abbot by olympusOM1, on Flickr

D1051, Birmingham NS, 1976: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/6967878437/

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've seen in a caption in one of my Western albums that these late 70s red dots were "enthusiast applied" I.e. not by BR? Perhaps some Laira diehards - they were very fond of their Westerns. Geoff was right though post-74 most didn't have them.

Neil

• Like 1

Two problems: some of the bars across the outer wheels (I'm sure there's a technical term for them) were loose, and some missing. I found one lurking in the packing, but I'm still three short. I removed the rest pending replacements (would DCCSupplies have spares?). Also the locomotive would appear to have a slight wobble when running. I haven't had time to find out which axle(s) or wheel(s) is/are responsible. Again, could I get a replacement part? I really don't want to have to send the whole model back across Europe to Cornwall. Apart from the slight wobble, it runs really smoothly.

A search has turned up two of these bars (what are they called?), so I am now only one short. They are rather loosely fitted, so be careful when unboxing new Westerns, as these bars like to jump off and hide.

• RMweb Gold

My blue Western has showed up this side of the Irish Sea this morning thanks to Hattons. I must say I'm blown away with just how good it looks, the fit and finish and the quality feel of the product itself. On that basis it has the Heljan loco licked. I won't get to test performance for another week or two but it will be put through its paces on a very demanding layout. If it's up to scratch there then I'll be buying more! All my brake rigging was in place and no detail was broken off.

Well done Dapol!

Got my blue one, looks good. Waiting for proper name plates to arrive, would of been nice to have some 00 or 10s in the head code numbers as loco numbers in reporting boxes popular near the end of their lives, top model tho Dapol, can we vote for model of 2013 now

Re Red Route Restrictions on post '74 Westerns -

'It also has the red route restriction markings on the cab sides which were only applied to the first of the blue repaints in the 1960s.

I can't think of any Westerns which retained the red route restriction markings by 1974. Can anyone else find an example?'

In response to Geoff's question and in addition to BR(S)s' offerings in post 1098 above

'Western Glory' by Chris Chapman shows;

D1036 Western Emperor in May 76,

D1065 Western Consort - v.tatty in Jan 76, and with the route restriction dot very low down on the bodyside, more in line with the door kick plate

D1071 Western Renown in August 76,

D1072 Western Glory in May '76,

all with the red route restriction dot, though on 1065 the shot is oblique at Freshford, and it might just be rust  - certainly looks lower down than the others but may be an optical illusion.

Anyway, you 00 chaps have been spoiled - I am eagerly anticipating Dapol's offering of the thousands in 'n'. 

Ah,  Happy memories of holidays spent either sitting in the bay window of one of the rooms at the Beach Hotel, or standing by the down lower quadrant signal, almost within arms reach of the footbridge outside Kennaway tunnel mouth - must look at Owen the rails gallery again.

TTFN

Matt W

• Like 1

D1033 Western Trooper, Plymouth, 1975 with clips and red dot:

7871721160_9444bdf702_z.jpg

D1033 Western Trooper, Plymouth 1975 by Steve Ash3, on Flickr

D1021 Western Cavalier, Plymouth, 1975:

7871733884_26d448b9ee_z.jpg

D1021 Western Cavalier, Plymouth 1975 by Steve Ash3, on Flickr

Those dots are not in the original position and therefore not in the same position as on the Dapol model. The original dot position is where the data panel is placed. The model does not have the data panel but is easily fixed by putting the necessary transfers over the red dots.

The two photographs above do give a good indication of the differences between Swindon and Crewe machines. Look at the position of the overhead warning signs on the cab ends and the presence, or lack of, clips for the driver's name badge below the cab window.

Strictly speaking, the Dapol model depicts D1001-24 only. D1000 had its warning flashes in a slightly diffrent position and D1025-29 didn't have headboard clips.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1

Those dots are not in the original position and therefore not in the same position as on the Dapol model. The original dot position is where the data panel is placed. The model does not have the data panel but is easily fixed by putting the necessary transfers over the red dots.

Geoff Endacott

Geoff,

You're spot on, the position of the dots for the loco's I have mentioned is as per the image of Cavalier above.  Though on Consort, it looks even lower - image is on page 101 of the Chris Chapman book. 

In my memory at least, the sight of a Western on the Motorail trains, or the Milks, was difficult to beat.

Regards

Matt W

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that as the vast majority of Westerns will be running on 4'11/2" gauge track with HO sleepers the 'little red dot' seems rather insignificant. That said, accurate information is always useful and the pictures of 1000's in the seventies are terrific.

Like Matt I'm looking forward to th N version.

Jerry

• Like 2