Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi Martin

They are certainly on the DCC supplies web site

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I actually visited the shop at lunchtime to discuss the issue, apparently it shouldn't effect the maroon one's. The guy said I would need to replace the brass threaded inserts where any screw was overtightened, but sadly they didn't have any.

Ironically one came out in trying to get the screw out after drilling the head off, at least I've finally got the body off, sods law one of the screws has gone into the tower area !!

Edited by martin_l_jones

I'm sorry to ask but what's the big difference between the Heljan Western and the Dapol Western? Is one worth more the money than the other?

Please read the topic and look at the comparison pictures people have posted, consider their opinions and make your own mind up based on your criteria.

Alternative answer 1) lots 2) yes.

• Like 6

Had a running problem with my newly acquired Western Legionaire and pm'd Dapol Dave for some advice as to whether I could fix it myself. Immediately received a very helpful reply from Dave, who suggested sending loco to DCC supplies. The lady I spoke to at DCC was very efficient, helpful, friendly and polite.  DCC supplies are excellent in e-mailing at each stage of the repair process and the loco was returned to me very well packed by a reputable courier (Parcel force).  

The loco now runs superbly.  Had it running light round loft for a while to run in and after their repair it just purrs round.  Wonderful service from DCC supplies, and from Dapol Dave himself. 

It's refreshing in this day and age to get such second to none service! Top marks to Dapol and DCC.

Cheers,

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I am working my way through my accessory bag. There are four tension lock couplers in there instead of two, but the two "broad fluid fillers" which go into the sole bars on the opposite side to the speedo cables are missing. What do these represent, so I know what to ask Dapol for? (The other contents of the bag are complete and correct).

Sandboxes? See the DCCSupplies spares list.

Nick

I wrote to Dapol to ask them if they could send me the missing sandboxes, and they referred me to DCC Supplies. I wrote to DCC Supplies; they replied by return of email with a request for my address; and the missing sandboxes arrived in the post today - complete with an invoice with the relevant details and a discount of 100% applied! I have fitted the parts, and so my blue 'Western', which I shall probably call 'Western Lugs' until I decide on a proper name for it or fit the parts supplied for 1005 Venturer, is now complete.

So again, top marks to Dapol and to DCC Supplies.

I have one tiny doubt. Effectively, I bought a RTR model railway locomotive, which happens to come with an pack of unspecified extra parts. The pack is not described in the manufacturer's literature. If the supplier had not been Dapol / DCC Supplies, could the supplier have reasonably told me I had no right to expect particular accessory parts? As it happens, they are illustrated for the 'Western' in one of Andy Y's posts here; but this whole thread and the approach to a new RTR model it represents is in a class of its own.

Think this was asked a while back but at 102 pages now I can't find it!

I'm interested in a D1062 from the Western Locomotive Asssociation (if they have any left of course) but can't find any direct contact details for WLA.  Send a couple of messages via their website but no answer.

Any ideas who to contact? 

The WLA sales contact email is t.hallows015@btinternet.com

Thanks guys.

Pinged an email to that address but nothing back yet.

Hi everyone. I have also tried to contact the WLA to get hold of a model, I tried the contact us on the website and sent an email (5 days ago) and still had no reply. Does anyone  have another email address or another foolproof (meproof!) method of contacting them as I want to make sure they still some models left !

Thanks, Sam

I've drawn a total blank Sam - no answer from website contact, no answer from email sent and no telephone numbers.  They certainly don't make it easy to contact them!

Does anyone have any idea how to make contact with the WLA guys???

• RMweb Premium

I printed out the order form on the WLA web site, filled it in and posted it with a cheque for the deposit to the address on the form. I received an acknowledgement by return from a person 'John' who uses the mailbox t.hallowes015@btinternet.com, and later an email from Paul Davies of the WLA, who told me he is hoping the day draws closer when the models will arrive on these shores! Perhaps your contact is just away for a few days, and they don't have enough people to cover.

Thanks Richard.

As I said previously, I don't live in the UK and haven't had a cheque book for years.  I want to make contact in order to arrange an electronic payment if possible.

Can you perhaps email Paul Davies and ask he if would be willing for you to pass his email address on to me via PM?

Martin

Thanks Richard.

As I said previously, I don't live in the UK and haven't had a cheque book for years.  I want to make contact in order to arrange an electronic payment if possible.

Can you perhaps email Paul Davies and ask he if would be willing for you to pass his email address on to me via PM?

Martin

http://westernloco.com/sales/

Hi Martin,

Sorry you have'nt had much luck in your attempts to order one of our D1062 Models.The fact you live abroad is no barrier to you buying one.You can indeed pay by Bank Transfer.I have put the Link above to the WLA Sales Page.If you click on that then click on the link  .....to celebrate the 50th anniversary of D1062Western Courier in 2013...........      ........you can download an Order Form.

Otherwise you can email me, my address is indeed t.hallowes015@btinternet.com with your address details & I will give you our Bank details in order for you to do a transfer.

I check my emails every day & always reply.I usually try to reply the same day but sometimes it may take a day or two. I've received no enquiries or orders for the Model (by email) for several weeks. I hope this is ok & clarifies things for you. 

Best wishes,

John (Kite)

Hi Martin,

Sorry you have'nt had much luck in your attempts to order one of our D1062 Models.The fact you live abroad is no barrier to you buying one.You can indeed pay by Bank Transfer.I have put the Link above to the WLA Sales Page.If you click on that then click on the link  .....to celebrate the 50th anniversary of D1062Western Courier in 2013...........      ........you can download an Order Form.

Otherwise you can email me, my address is indeed t.hallowes015@btinternet.com with your address details & I will give you our Bank details in order for you to do a transfer.

I check my emails every day & always reply.I usually try to reply the same day but sometimes it may take a day or two. I've received no enquiries or orders for the Model (by email) for several weeks. I hope this is ok & clarifies things for you. 

Best wishes,

John (Kite)

Hi John

No problem, I'm glad you've posted.  :no:

Problem here also is that the postal system just doesn't work so downloading the form to make an order via post wasn't an option either.  On the email - I actually sent email's to that address on 17th and 28th June and have just send another so I hope you can pick that up.  If you don't see it please drop me a PM and I'll send detail over that way.

Thanks again for making contact via this thread.  I'm looking forward to adding D1062 to my fleet.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Best wishes,

John (Kite)

Hi John

No problem, I'm glad you've posted.  :no:

Problem here also is that the postal system just doesn't work so downloading the form to make an order via post wasn't an option either.  On the email - I actually sent email's to that address on 17th and 28th June and have just send another so I hope you can pick that up.  If you don't see it please drop me a PM and I'll send detail over that way.

Thanks again for making contact via this thread.  I'm looking forward to adding D1062 to my fleet.

Martin

Hi, I just sent an email to the address you provided john and I've just noticed the e was missing out of the address when I sent my first one on the 22nd, whoops...  :scratchhead:

Anyway I hope you got my email this time, so long as I didn't mess it up again !

Sam

On a lighthearted ( ? ) note Steam's 'Western Enterprise' now on e-bay at £289.99. Warms the cockles of your heart doesn't it ? Perhaps not.......

Now reduced to £249.99.

Could be there a good long while..... Reminds me of the story about the bloke who bought pretty much an entire batch of NRM/Bachmann ProtoDeltics in the hope of turning a quick profit / doubling his money. I wonder if he's still stuck with them?

Now reduced to £249.99.

Could be there a good long while..... Reminds me of the story about the bloke who bought pretty much an entire batch of NRM/Bachmann ProtoDeltics in the hope of turning a quick profit / doubling his money. I wonder if he's still stuck with them?

Well overpriced even for a 'Limited' Edition especially when there are Heljan versions available on eBay for less than a ton.

Edited by D1056WesternSultan

• RMweb Premium

Now reduced to £249.99.

Could be there a good long while..... 

I guess the seller is targetting 'collectors'; the sort of people who pay extra for a postage stamp with a defect or a Dinky lorry with different coloured wheels. What would be good now would be a batch of 500 or so in Desert Sand with small yellow panels; much more useful than a livery which lasted less than a year.

• RMweb Gold

Which entirely misses the point that these were retailed by 'Steam' at Swindon to raise much-needed  funds. Hopefully,the production run will have done just that.It has value to this forum member as he was one of the first to see D 1000 in service.Thankfully,I've lasted longer than the livery but my memory lingers on and I'm still useful.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps 'Steam' at Swindon undersold the models, in that if they had been £20 more then fewer dealers would have bought them. But I cannot blame Dapol for allowing a virtually unused livery to be sold off too soon as an unrepeatable 'special edition'; they had no idea how the model would be received. Indeed very soon after the model was launched, someone posted here to the effect the headcodes have got to go; the market is fickle.

I wanted to buy a Western Enterprise too, but failed to secure an order. I have given up looking (I saw one go on eBay for £280+); but if I really wanted one now (I am much too young to remember the real thing), I would buy a less popular colour, and some paint, and have a go. Treat it as an excuse to do a bit of modelling, and enjoy it afterwards as a personal best effort; or pay someone to respray it. Even if paying someone costs a bit more than the eBay dealer, it will be more satisfying in the long run.

• Like 1

Perhaps 'Steam' at Swindon undersold the models, in that if they had been £20 more then fewer dealers would have bought them. But I cannot blame Dapol for allowing a virtually unused livery to be sold off too soon as an unrepeatable 'special edition'; they had no idea how the model would be received. Indeed very soon after the model was launched, someone posted here to the effect the headcodes have got to go; the market is fickle.

I wanted to buy a Western Enterprise too, but failed to secure an order. I have given up looking (I saw one go on eBay for £280+); but if I really wanted one now (I am much too young to remember the real thing), I would buy a less popular colour, and some paint, and have a go. Treat it as an excuse to do a bit of modelling, and enjoy it afterwards as a personal best effort; or pay someone to respray it. Even if paying someone costs a bit more than the eBay dealer, it will be more satisfying in the long run.

Absolutely.

• RMweb Gold

Which entirely misses the point that these were retailed by 'Steam' at Swindon to raise much-needed  funds. Hopefully,the production run will have done just that.It has value to this forum member as he was one of the first to see D 1000 in service.Thankfully,I've lasted longer than the livery but my memory lingers on and I'm still useful.

I agree absolutely Ian (wonder if you saw it before me - the day i went looking for it on 3C07 it had failed, and was replaced by the 'real' 1000).  I know that 'Steam;' made a substantial sum out of the sales of D1000 and I have been assured by Museum staff that the cash is going into the museum and its work where it will make an appreciable and real contribution (I do know much it is but I'm not sure if I was told in confidence so I'd best not disclose the figure).

As far as folk selling on Ebay are concerned that's their prerogative - once you've bought something it's yours to do with as you wish, and if one sells for £X00 the next one will sell for less because the high bidder is no longer in the market.