Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

From Kernow's newsletter we learn that:-

D1003Z (the product code not the running number) "Western Musketeer" in chromatic blue SYP is in stock and being sent out now.

D1003DZ with sound fitted to order will therefore be included when those order numbers are serviced

D1003W "Western Reliance" in rail blue FYE - initial delivery made with more to follow so again going in the mail now.

D1003X "Western Princess" in maroon SYP and

D1003Y "Western Viscount" in maroon FYE are both still in "gradually making their way to us"

in other words still in transit on the high seas or possibly now on the dockside awaiting onward movement.

As always Kernow mails things in date order.  The date you pressed the button determines where yours is in line.

Both blue ones now confirmed as in transit (again!) to me with pictures to follow once arrived.  The maroon ones will join them later.

• Like 1

My D1003W "Western Reliance" in rail blue turned up this morning. Well, what can I say apart from Wow. Absolutely superb model with the weathering up to the usual excellent standards of weathering from Dapol. Thanks to Kernow and Dapol for the Western. You certainly have brightened up my morning with this fine model, and very speedy dispatch!

(Edit - the quality of the photos do show a very fine model, but the phone camera doesn't do the model the full justice it deserves!)

post-7515-0-72166100-1373715846_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-22457800-1373715854_thumb.jpg

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 7

Just got home with another Dapol western. Another blue one, purchased from the Tutbury Jinny near burton-on-trent (and theres another blue one amongst some others still there for anyone still hunting for one!). First visit to the shop, and it really is one of those aladins caves type of places, with plenty of Dapol stuff for sale. Managed to resist the new 22, but only just :)

I think this Dapol stuff is getting addictive!

...I fancied a chromatic blue one with SYP...then considered the amount of issues already encountered with Dapol locos and how much mither there might be in the pipeline and thought that the £159 is better spent elsewhere. 

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

...I fancied a chromatic blue one with SYP...then considered the amount of issues already encountered with Dapol locos and how much mither there might be in the pipeline and thought that the £159 quid is better spent elsewhere.....

Besides, where are you going to get another Ultrascale rewheel pack from?

Wouldn't have been dirty wheels would it?

Remember they are sprayed too and the cleaners might have missed cleaning the paint off the tread properly.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Spoken with Kernow now that the returned Western Musketeer has reached them and it definitely wasn't dirty wheels and they couldn't remedy the 'other' root problem. Luckily they have a few Musketeers left to be able to send me a replacement and they can recover some of the £8.00 return postage (cheapest I could get!!) by sending it out with Reliance which I've also purchased. As a precaution they've checked both models so hopefully there won't be any running problems this time. I'm off now to do a very careful check on Enterprise which I haven't run yet as I've been too busy admiring it in the display case :smile_mini2:

Excellent service from Kernow as always.

...stomp over and aspirations for an early blue SYP Western revived, I started to investigate (apologies to anyone else who has already 'trodden the path' and stated the same) why 'weathered' early blue Westerns appeared as a different/brighter shade of BR blue in strong sunlight, compared to later blue painted locos. Considerations included: red undercoat as against grey, paint technology less advanced/paint more easily weathered ...coupled with aggressive chemicals in the WR washing plants. Studying the June 1967 and July 1971 colour pictures of D1057 on page 44 of Modern Locomotives Illustrated No200 'The Westerns' shows that in the four intervening years the BR blue had flattened/thinned to matte, faded/paled and allowed the undercoat/earlier livery to show through/influence the visible shade of the topcoat.

Starting with a maroon loco, 'flatting' the paint with glass-paper and applying numerous brush coats of well-thinned 'Phoenix' faded BR blue, might be the route towards this elusive and controversial livery shade. What must be the last available Ultrascale Dapol Western 18.83 conversion pack (the third for TG) has been tracked down and ordered for the locos conversion to P4.

Pictures to follow once I'm happy with the direction of this attempt.

D1043 Western Duke in 1967 guise as seen on P43 of the above publication will be the identity of this Western.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Received my D1068 from Kernow today - fantastic level of detail.

Would like to add dcc and sound chip to it - deep waters for me don't own any dcc system at the mo - advice/recommendations gratefully received.

best

colbard

• Like 1

Hi all,

I haven't seen photos of this item yet but here are some of Lord and Butler's Western Invader D1009 in maroon, with yellow buffer beam.  It's a lovely model in the flesh!

An advice note comes with the model to say:

Dapol D1009 WESTERN INVADER LIMITED EDITION

PRICE AND SPECIFICATION ALTERATION

Please note the cost of this model is now £139.95

However each model now comes with etched name, number and works plates and all roof panel lifting eyes factory fited.

Consdering the price of other specials (STEAM's D1000, WLA's D1062 and KMRC's weathered versions), the original price was a little lower in the first place by comparison.

The model comes with a photo quality Limited Edition certificate and a copy of the history of the loco (very similar to the website detail page here http://www.lordandbutler.co.uk/lordandbutler.co.uk/Western_Invader.html).  Detail pack and headcode number inserts are also included, as standard.

Lord and Butler D1009 Side

post-6532-0-97668800-1374186395_thumb.jpg

Lord and Butler D1009 Side, Name

post-6532-0-16543800-1374186410_thumb.jpg

Lord and Butler D1009 Side, Number

post-6532-0-13832900-1374186424_thumb.jpg

Lord and Butler D1009 Front, Angled

post-6532-0-62449300-1374186450_thumb.jpg

Lord and Butler D1009 Front

post-6532-0-16007000-1374186463_thumb.jpg

Hope you like!

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 6

Hi all,

I haven't seen photos of this item yet but here are some of Lord and Butler's Western Invader D1009 in maroon, with yellow buffer beam.  It's a lovely model in the flesh!

Lord and Butler D1009 Front, Angled

attachicon.gifLord and Butler Western Invader Front Angled.jpg

And it has the light gray window frames!

Maybe one from the next batch...

Luke

Hi all,

Received my D1068 from Kernow today - fantastic level of detail.

Would like to add dcc and sound chip to it - deep waters for me don't own any dcc system at the mo - advice/recommendations gratefully received.

best

colbard

Yep, I fitted Howes sound chip and a Bass speaker ( part no mentioned in Westerns instructions) from DCC supplies. Some soldering skills needed if upgrading speaker. Sounds wonderful. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

An advice note comes with the model to say:

Dapol D1009 WESTERN INVADER LIMITED EDITION

PRICE AND SPECIFICATION ALTERATION

Please note the cost of this model is now £139.95

However each model now comes with etched name, number and works plates and all roof panel lifting eyes factory fited.

Consdering the price of other specials (STEAM's D1000, WLA's D1062 and KMRC's weathered versions), the original price was a little lower in the first place by comparison.

The model comes with a photo quality Limited Edition certificate and a copy of the history of the loco (very similar to the website detail page here  

Cheers,

Ixion.

Yep, it's a lovely looking model but not when you look at the underside and examine one of the bogies:

post-586-0-47882800-1374227972.jpg

Look at the middle axle. When placed on the track the loco ran well but as soon as the loco went through the first point the rear bogie jumped. Examination revealed that there is no lateral movement in the middle axle as well as the back-to-back measurements being a bit off.

Made contact with DCC Supplies yesterday and arrangements being made to return the loco to them - hopefully it will be an easy replacement of the middle axle. In the same package, however, will be a headcode disc Cl.22 which does not run smoothly - it sort of surges faster-slower-faster etc. These two locos will join Western Sovereign which worked well at first but then expired...and is now waiting for a replacement chassis to be sourced.

Three problem locos is more than I would like but, touch wood, no problems with Western Enterprise, another headcode disc Cl.22, three headcode box Cl.22s,the LMS twins, three Beattie Well Tanks and four Sentinels have materialised. 3 out of 17 locos purchased.......and with more Dapol locos on backorder I sincerely hope things do get better.

Keith

EDIT: removed duplicate posting of picture

Edited by tetsudofan

• RMweb Gold

Yep, I fitted Howes sound chip and a Bass speaker ( part no mentioned in Westerns instructions) from DCC supplies. Some soldering skills needed if upgrading speaker. Sounds wonderful.

In case you are wondering why the soldering skills are needed look at the following picture:

post-586-0-66711200-1374229732.jpg

The way that the decoder socket has been orientated means that the wires on the sound decoder as supplied are not long enough to reach the space provided for the speaker.....one needs to splice in some more wire to get it sorted...and my soldering skills are rubbish.

Compare this to what Dapol did for the LMS Twins:

post-586-0-06512500-1374230034.jpg

Decoder socket and space for loudspeaker close to each other. Simples. Similar on the Cl.22. Why not on the Western?

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan

Steve, is that the bass enhanced or bass reflex speaker?

Martin

Hi Keith

Thanks for that but I was asking re steveb860's post above! ;-)  I can see from your photos that's just the standard ESU speaker.

Martin

Edited by trent