Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Guest oldlugger

On the wheel issue, I've just been informed by Ultrascale that my ordered P4 conversion set is in post, even though I don't have a Western. Maybe one day...

Hi everyone,

With regards to wobbly wezzies, China will be shipping some wheel sets over to me around the middle of next week.

These are apparently being fastidiously checked over and include the brass bearings too as I found a few 22's from the original batch with the hole slightly off centre.

Once they are here ill let you know here, and I'll ship them to DCC supplies.

Any one with a dodgy model can ring them for an axle or 3, or if you don't fancy doing it yourself, arrange for a free return to DCC supplies for them to do it for you.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

With regards to wobbly websites, China will be shipping some wheel sets over to me around the middle of next week.

These are apparently being fastidiously checked over and include the brass bearings too as I found a few 22's from the original batch with the hole slightly off centre.

Once they are here ill let you know here, and I'll ship them to DCC supplies.

Any one with a dodge model can ring them for an axle or 3, or if you don't fancy doing it yourself, arrange for a free return to DCC supplies for them to do it for you.

Cheers

Dave

....the wobbly websites Dave might be because you're travelling on wobbly wheels :-)

• Like 1

Sorry Dave.

I was pleased with your offer but I received no information from the 5 that went back to the shop including 2 repaired ones returned from dcc supplies that again failed and was adviced then not to buy anymore until a solution was found which not on your part I may add gave up waiting for has heard nothing.

You have helped in anyway you could and I thank you for this but I have simply now run out of funds to keep persevering and was acting on advice given as above as to not try anymore.

I will not post this problem again but still look forward to members that show them in all there glory.

Richard.. 

• Like 3

But he has a 100% feedback rating. How can any of it be "iffy", campaigner?

Simon

Yep, my mistake, 1000 apologies even more it was you. I got the wrong link/seller. It was this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-class-52-western-in-blue-/360655958613?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item53f8c53255&nma=true&si=5k87rbSZ%252BnloJyYmdFjte9UOnlg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Senior moment :fool:

• Like 1

No wobbly wheels here. No wobbles anywhere just lots of lovely springs! Such a lovely loco deserves proper underpinnings and this is what can be done if you're mad enough and work in P4 where you have a bit more room. I posted a picture of one of the bogies earlier in the thread so I thought I'd post one now it's up and running. Those coil springs on the bolster work exactly as the real thing does.  :D They're the ones that came with the Dapol model but they do need changing as they're a bit 'hard' and also a bit long so the loco sits a bit high at the moment. I'll make some softer ones when I get chance. There's a few other areas that need slight attention as well not to mention brakes, buffers etc.

post-13847-0-10107400-1369430368.jpg

Justin    

• Like 2

Hi

Missed getting one of the Western with small yellow front,I had it on pre-order from 3 shops and did not get one!.

What i do not understand is why are the shop websites saying pre-orders still being taken?.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=23&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjACOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesignalbox.co.uk%2Fd1029-western-legionaire-br-maroon-small-yellow-panel.html&ei=wtGgUbHoNo7s0gW5voGwBA&usg=AFQjCNHBOvIpAoqfGR36PQj-rSZvudHCfQ&sig2=joUz18b0vrdid4xliLl4QA

I had a phone call from Hatton's on Thurday saying they had 5 come in,but they truned out to be full yellow fronts.

Are more going to be made?.

Darren01

Edited by darren01

Good job with

No wobbly wheels here. No wobbles anywhere just lots of lovely springs! Such a lovely loco deserves proper underpinnings and this is what can be done if you're mad enough and work in P4 where you have a bit more room. I posted a picture of one of the bogies earlier in the thread so I thought I'd post one now it's up and running. Those coil springs on the bolster work exactly as the real thing does.  :D They're the ones that came with the Dapol model but they do need changing as they're a bit 'hard' and also a bit long so the loco sits a bit high at the moment. I'll make some softer ones when I get chance. There's a few other areas that need slight attention as well not to mention brakes, buffers etc.

attachicon.gifM Western 2 014.JPG

Justin    

....had a good look at your handywork whilst at the Shawplan stand today Justin...very nice. Expect some orders if the TG Westerns aren't glued to the rails.

ATB

Dave

Hi Coppercap,

No idea what happened to your model and you have my apologies.

Give DCC supplies a ring as some spares are 'off book' as it were and kept for such eventualities.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Dave

Weel, I phoned them around lunchtime on Friday. I mentioned this forum, and your suggestion, Dave. The guy semed to understand what screws I was on about, and said he was certain they had some. Six screws arrived FOC in the post this morning! Excellent!  Many thanks for the advice Dave. :good:   

Good job with

....had a good look at your handywork whilst at the Shawplan stand today Justin...very nice. Expect some orders if the TG Westerns aren't glued to the rails.

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave. The Western seemed quite happy spending the day with Brian and Mike but I managed to get it back at the end of the day! Be warned though once you start springing diesels you'll want to do all of them!

Justin

Had preordered Western Legionaire with my local shop in Ipswich, a Dapol stockist, though much reduced following move to new premises. Last Saturday checked with them as mail order firms showing stock had arrived and was concerned with Dapol's message of all manufactured stock distributed and found they had not received any and had received no advice from Dapol. Follow up enquiries on Monday and Tuesday led to advice from Dapol that they were not allocated any. According to my dealer, a regular problem as (they say) the Dapol internet ordering seems to lead to back orders dropping off. This seems to have been repeated again as they didn't receive stock of the MRA blue/grey wagons this week without re-ordering, those were still in stock. I obtained the last one at Kernow models on Wednesday evening, despatched Thursday morning and received Friday morning - brilliant service, but disappointed I couldn't use my local shop who has a number of Dapol pre-orders from me for future releases. As others have said, a brilliant model, but not looking forward to adding the lifting eyes, having fitted Western Sovereign and needed an extra etch from DC Supplies due to 4 pinging into the etched brass ether.   

Those who have spent £100+ on a loco that is faulty or who have committed to buy one but not received it do have a justifiable grievance but purely  to restore some balance to the discussion I would just like to say well done to both Dapol and Hattons Got my SYP maroon Western ordered from Hattons 16/12/12 posted 15/05/13 received 17/05/13 RM tracked - double checked today in slo-mo given comments above   - no wobbly wheels runs beautifully looks the part and pulls a house  - will be ordering another again probably from Hattons as their ordering system has never yet let me down - no connection with either but manufacturer loco build and retailer service both first class in this instance.

Had preordered Western Legionaire with my local shop in Ipswich, a Dapol stockist, though much reduced following move to new premises. Last Saturday checked with them as mail order firms showing stock had arrived and was concerned with Dapol's message of all manufactured stock distributed and found they had not received any and had received no advice from Dapol. Follow up enquiries on Monday and Tuesday led to advice from Dapol that they were not allocated any. According to my dealer, a regular problem as (they say) the Dapol internet ordering seems to lead to back orders dropping off. This seems to have been repeated again as they didn't receive stock of the MRA blue/grey wagons this week without re-ordering, those were still in stock. I obtained the last one at Kernow models on Wednesday evening, despatched Thursday morning and received Friday morning - brilliant service, but disappointed I couldn't use my local shop who has a number of Dapol pre-orders from me for future releases. As others have said, a brilliant model, but not looking forward to adding the lifting eyes, having fitted Western Sovereign and needed an extra etch from DC Supplies due to 4 pinging into the etched brass ether.

Hi Rembrow,

I noticed your negative feedback (using the icons button) to my mail to Richard here and have PM'd you.

If you'd like to let me know privately who the stockist is I can, come Tuesday, and given my mails regarding stockists etc here, let you know the exact situation.

Oh and by the way there is no Dapol Internet ordering system, it's done by mailing their order form in or ringing Kevin direct. (And that's for all shops)

Cheers

Dave

Those who have spent £100+ on a loco that is faulty or who have committed to buy one but not received it do have a justifiable grievance but purely  to restore some balance to the discussion I would just like to say well done to both Dapol and Hattons Got my SYP maroon Western ordered from Hattons 16/12/12 posted 15/05/13 received 17/05/13 RM tracked - double checked today in slo-mo given comments above   - no wobbly wheels runs beautifully looks the part and pulls a house  - will be ordering another again probably from Hattons as their ordering system has never yet let me down - no connection with either but manufacturer loco build and retailer service both first class in this instance.

Aft'noon L,

...I think that Dapol Dave is well aware that his Western is regarded as one of the finest RTR models yet released in the UK. However, niggles are inevitable when producing models such as this and to his credit he is dealing with each in an appropriate and speedy manner. It was his choice (in my eyes a commendable and correct one) to carry out much of the design & development on a modellers website, with considerable assistance as a result but also under full public glare and scrutiny. I can sense many of my modelling pounds heading Dapol's way in the future...what better recommendation than that from his intended market audience.

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I know this has been discussed to death, but having now got one I have to say this is a corking model and fully deserves all the plaudits it has recieved, a solid 11 out of 10 if you ask me. Watching Dapol's steady improvement over the last few years has been one of the hobbies real success stories. Their NBL Type 2 was a great little model but this Western takes up a level further, well done.

• Like 3

Hi

Missed getting one of the Western with small yellow front,I had it on pre-order from 3 shops and did not get one!.

What i do not understand is why are the shop websites saying pre-orders still being taken?.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=23&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjACOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesignalbox.co.uk%2Fd1029-western-legionaire-br-maroon-small-yellow-panel.html&ei=wtGgUbHoNo7s0gW5voGwBA&usg=AFQjCNHBOvIpAoqfGR36PQj-rSZvudHCfQ&sig2=joUz18b0vrdid4xliLl4QA

I had a phone call from Hatton's on Thurday saying they had 5 come in,but they truned out to be full yellow fronts.

Are more going to be made?.

Darren01

Hi Darren

I think this is the N gauge Western, confusing as The Signal Box do not actually give the scale on the order page just the Dapol code.