Preservation madness

EddieB

What is the oddest locomotive display in preservation?

Just why a theme park in Canela, Brazil needs to recreate the famous scene of a locomotive that overran the buffers at Paris-Montparnasse (http://en.wikipedia....rnasse_1895.jpg) is beyond me!

http://www.flickr.co...ami/2626547259/

(Alco 53130/1930, 4-6-0 Paulista 721).

Not to be left out, the Cité du Train, Mulhouse has 140A.259 (FB 2537/1927) displayed in "sabotaged by the Resistance" condition (Burt Lancaster not present). At least this gives a chance for visitors to inspect the underframe.

post-10122-0-85931300-1300446105_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-60934300-1300446133_thumb.jpg

Any more candidates?

[Edit: Different sources give build dates of 1927, 1928 and 1929 for the Franco-Belge 140A; on balance 1927 seems the most likely]

• RMweb Premium

Is there anything about the Brazil re-creation that is correct?

Apart from a loco (sans tender) at an angle that is, and a hole in a wall!

Seems like just a piece of sensationalism to me.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I will most likely be in the minority here but I don't see a problem with the French museum's exhibit as it is designed to show important historic occurrences. It looks like various items have been removed from the loco to prevent them being damaged.

Do engines in Brazil normally avoid having boiler cladding fitted?

French one makes sense and it is an interesting way to display it though from a workings point of view the NRM probably has the best display possible in its sectioned loco.

Yes, the Brazilian loco does seem to be missing at least some firebox cladding and a dome cover (hard to tell just how much is missing with some of these US products) - but judging from the picture it hasn't affected its ability to raise steam :O !

I'm not averse to the French display (quirky though it is) as you can see details that would otherwise be hidden (or without craning your neck in an inspction pit).

The NRM is far from unique in having a loco sectioned under the preservation act. Why they can't demonstrate with just a sectioned model beats me.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not averse to the French display (quirky though it is) as you can see details that would otherwise be hidden (or without craning your neck in an inspction pit).

When I visited Mulhouse in 2003 there were a couple of '140 something or others' in a rather tatty state dumped outside the far end of the building and hopefully destined for some sort of restoration and display although there was nothing anywhere in the museum about them. Presumably this could be how one of them has ended up and if it is I think it's a far better idea than letting it rot out in the open.

I will most likely be in the minority here but I don't see a problem with the French museum's exhibit as it is designed to show important historic occurrences. It looks like various items have been removed from the loco to prevent them being damaged.

It's an important reminder of what was probably one of the most effective parts of the French Resistance, which lost over a thousand railwaymen, either shot or deported, to the Germans. The loco itself still seems to be in better external condition than many locomotives on preserved lines.

The 140s that Mike reported seeing stored at Mulhouse are probably the ones that were at Grey, near Dijon. This lasted until 1975, the last year of French mainline steam, and was operated by CFTA using hired-in locos. The CFTA depot survived, was taken over by Veolia, and is now part of Europorte's empire- there was a job as a technician there on our Intranet site yesterday.

The 140s were originally designed to haul military traffic during WW1- some were built by North British, I believe.

Here's another oddity - in this case an Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0 fireless (3420/1909) dangling from a crane at Technik Museen Sinsheim. (And another case of the missing boiler cladding).

http://community.web...040061364TCxyXo

http://community.web...040061364ukRfjE

Well at first glance it looks like the two hooks are supporting at. But when you look again there is a support under the front buffer beam. So when they come to take it down a second crane will be needed. I don't know why they have done this as nothing is correct.

OzzyO.

Do engines in Brazil normally avoid having boiler cladding fitted?

French one makes sense and it is an interesting way to display it though from a workings point of view the NRM probably has the best display possible in its sectioned loco.

The NRM usually has a locomotive that can be walked underneath. But, I agree, the French exhibit is an interesting diorama.

Paul Bartlett

The 140s that Mike reported seeing stored at Mulhouse are probably the ones that were at Grey, near Dijon. This lasted until 1975, the last year of French mainline steam, and was operated by CFTA using hired-in locos. The CFTA depot survived, was taken over by Veolia, and is now part of Europorte's empire- there was a job as a technician there on our Intranet site yesterday.

The 140s were originally designed to haul military traffic during WW1- some were built by North British, I believe.

The 140s originally designed to haul military traffic during WW1 are what became SNCF class 140C (the loco on its side at Mulhouse is a later Franco-Belge product, SNCF class 140A, ex- Cie. du Nord) of which a total of 270 were built:

180 built by North British for Etat 1916-17 (6 lost at sea)

20 built by Nasmyth Wilson for Etat 1916-17

35 built by North British for Est 1916

35 built by Vulcan Foundry for PLM 1919-20

Eight survive (including 140.C.344 at Mulhouse, NBL 21581/1917, ex-Etat). While I never saw the class in operation (too young!), I did come across two of the preserved examples (22 and 287) in storage at Chalindrey depot in 1981, both of which had been part of the fleet leased to CFTA at Grey.

Well at first glance it looks like the two hooks are supporting at. But when you look again there is a support under the front buffer beam. So when they come to take it down a second crane will be needed. I don't know why they have done this as nothing is correct.

OzzyO.

Typical of Sinsheim, really. An absolutely huge collection of planes, cars, trains and just about anything else (including IMax cinema), arranged with very little attention to technical detail or niceties.

• RMweb Premium

The picture at the Brazilian Museum of Steam instantly makes me think of Disney! Yes, it is intended to sensationalise but in a way to attract the young of today I suspect. If it creates interest in steam locomotives, or indeed railways of any sort, then it has served its purpose.

• 5 years later...

Or this outside the former Festunglazaret II now the contemporary museum/art gallery in Wroclaw.

Img_1691%20640_zpsq7sqozmh.jpg

Img_1700%20640_zpsqr3wa1ef.jpg

Img_1693%20640_zpsjeyuedwj.jpg

A variation on Stephenson's Rocket?? Lost in translation from English to Polish?

Archived